2006 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2006 Recruits

Good news, this should help recruit more speed.

Comment

I really believe we are blowing this track thing way out of proportion. I think someone that gets to go to an event where stig is speaking should ask him how many of the kids he is recruiting actually ask about being involved in track. My guess is that number would be infinitessimally small.

We have heard from several former athletes that have told us, from their experiences, the players don't care about track. My guess is a recruit that is thinking about both really doesn't know what he wants. Maybe that's why we have lost them.

If a player wants to be involved in track, great, more power to them. If they can keep up with their commitments to the classroom, football and themselves, they should do it. But I don't believe this will be some magic elixir that will make our team faster over night.

Comment

Originally posted by JackTwice
        I think someone that gets to go to an event where stig is speaking should ask him how many of the kids he is recruiting actually ask about being involved in track.  My guess is that number would be infinitessimally small.  
        I agree that the football coaches will state they are not recruiting students who ask about being involved in track. And, those that do ask, were somehow given the message that it was not going to work at SDSU. That's been my point all along.

When you're talking about the numbers, it may only be five, six, seven, maybe ten athletes. But I'm a track fan and that handful of athletes are five, six, seven, maybe ten that we have not had in the track program at SDSU for several years and they can make a difference in the weights, sometimes the jumps, and often in the sprints. My point has been that if a kid wants to be in track, work it out so he can participate in both football and track. It would be hard to quantify but I have felt that recruits who wanted to do both are not giving State a look. (Some on other threads would suggest the most recent example is the Christie kid from Pierre who has announced he's going to USD to be in football and track.)

Bottom line: there's been a little shift in thinking which can help the track team while also helping the football program. I like that.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD

I agree that the football coaches will state they are not recruiting students who ask about being involved in track.  And, those that do ask, were somehow given the message that it was not going to work at SDSU.  That's been my point all along.

When you're talking about the numbers, it may only be five, six, seven, maybe ten athletes.  But I'm a track fan and that handful of athletes are five, six, seven, maybe ten that we have not had in the track program at SDSU for several years and they can make a difference in the weights, sometimes the jumps, and often in the sprints.   My point has been that if a kid wants to be in track, work it out so he can participate in both football and track.  It would be hard to quantify but I have felt that recruits who wanted to do both are not giving State a look.  (Some on other threads would suggest the most recent example is the Christie kid from Pierre who has announced he's going to USD to be in football and track.)

Bottom line:  there's been a little shift in thinking which can help the track team while also helping the football program.  I like that.
          JackJD:
          I think you could better answer this question than most of us on this board.

Considering all the USD connections in young Mr. Quentin Christie's life, did SDSU have a reasonable chance of recruting him to SDSU?

I tend to think not. Just as Michael Tviedt having a brother at NDSU, these little things can often make a decsion in chosing a school where more than one offer is on the table.

I would venture to say SDSU has tons of offers that are never taken. In many cases we just don't have the family and friends connections and maybe not the right course offering to attract these people.

Look at one of the recruits from Yankton for WB, her father an SDSU grad and National champ in Wrestling and also came out publically in support for SDSU D1 in the Yankton Dakota Press when it was not a very popular subject. I can not remember the name but seem remember all the details. I think Cornerman is the name, but not sure.

None-the-less, family, and friends appear to me to be important when a recruit makes a decision.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
            Considering all the USD connections in young Mr. Quentin Christie's life, did SDSU have a reasonable chance of recruting him to SDSU?
            SDSUFAN:  I do not know.  I know that during last spring's track season, Quincy Christie was very interested in several schools and that included SDSU.  But the fact that a junior in high school is interested doesn't mean much.  I think no one on this message board knows how much of an effort was made by SDSU to recruit him...in another post, someone commented on the number of running backs we have in the stable.  

Coaches only have so many spots to work with and it looks to me like we have a lot of talent in the very position(s) Christie would play.  

I want to make one point very clear:  I try not to second guess the recruiting decisions made by the coaches.  I'm just a guy sitting in the stands.  I've been real impressed with the football recruiting done the last few years -- I think the coaches know what they're doing and I can't help but wonder if maybe the coaches weren't all that excited about Christie...we appear to have better guys committed to the program.

My soap box (now being put away in light of an apparent 'policy' change) has been about athletes who want to participate in both football and track being given an opportunity to do both.  That has not happened at State in a long time but I understand last week that changed.  

Speaking of football players who also ran track...while watching the Seattle Seahawks last night, I saw their wide receivers coach Nolan Cromwell.  Are all of you too young to remember what a stud football player he was for Kansas and later in the pros?  Go check out the Jayhawks sports history and you'll see Cromwell was also a fabulous track athlete.  I watched him run many times in the early 70s.  Just another example.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
              Interesting news...it now appears that a rule that didn't exist (that is, football players not being allowed to participate in track) now actually does not exist [yeah, read that twice]: A number of football players are joining the track team!!

That development is like opening up a whole new class of potential recruits: football players who think they want to participate in track. Word will get out and there will be future Jackrabbits who will come here for that reason.

Now, we're starting to think like schools like, let's see, USC, Michigan, ...want to think closer? NDSU.
              A much more sensible policy, IMHO. If the athlete can handle the academics, I see no reason why he/she shouldn't participate in two sports in different seasons, as long as it's understood that the student gets his/her scholarship in sport A which is expected to be his/her focus.

As long as that's understood, I don't see an issue with the athlete trying out for sport B and perhaps making the team.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Several decades back, when I was on campus, I can recall two athletes, Doug Peterson and Wayne Rasumussen who participated in football, basketball and baseball and excelled in all three, plus were probably better than I was in the classroom. Times have changed so much and each sport seems to be time demanding that maybe no athlete could do three sports currently. Track and football can compliment each other and more power to any recruit who participates in both.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                  Jacks seem to be recruiting Iowa very hard again this year. The following players have indicated they will be taking visits to SDSU in January:

Ben Evans-Iowa City High 6'0 165 wr/db 4A second team offensive. Also visiting Iowa and NWMS. SDSU coaches have told him they would like him to play defense which is his preference.

Ben Lamack-Cedar Rapids Kennedy 6'5 240 TE 1st team offense 4A

Mike O'Connell-Iowa City Regina 6'1 185 4.6 40 Safety

Austin Frain-Treynor Linebacker 6'1 190 lists SDSU as his favorite.
                  Ben Evans after visits to Iowa,NW Missouri State and SDSU has chosen to stay home and walk-on at Iowa. He had narrowed it down to SDSU and Iowa and made the decison to go with his life long dream of playing for the Hawkeyes. He mentioned he had a lot of respect for the SDSU program and had a good visit. You wonder if these players really realize the odds of seeing the field for a walk-on. I know it happens but...

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII

Ben Evans after visits to Iowa,NW Missouri State and SDSU has chosen to stay home and walk-on at Iowa. He had narrowed it down to SDSU and Iowa and made the decison to go with his life long dream of playing for the Hawkeyes. He mentioned he had a lot of respect for the SDSU program and had a good visit. You wonder if these players really realize the odds of seeing the field for a walk-on. I know it happens but...
                    Pretty sure players know their odds of playing as a walk on. If he went on a visit he was probably good enough for a scholarship, which means he's probably good enough to play. I'm reading way too much into your comment, but you're almost belittling his decision to fulfil his dream of playing for the Hawkeyes. I would have given my left nut to go to Iowa as a walk on and fulfil that dream, unfortunately tuition was a little more than we could handle, and, oh yeah, they never heard of me. Good luck to Ben. Go Hawks!

Comment

I'm not belittling his decision as it's his decision, but I do think many kids grow up idolizing their hometown team and have unrealistic expectations about their own abilities to play at that level. Just because they invited him to visit doesn't mean he is good enough play there. It's no skin off the Hawkeyes back to allow him to walk-on. Granted Ben has talent or he wouldn't have been asked to walk-on or been offered a scholarship at SDSU. He is a 6'0 165 lb reciever and I hope he does defy the odds. The fact they didn't offer him tells you they have more faith in someone else until he proves it on the field.

Comment

It was referenced over on the Argus Leader Forum that Conrad Kjerstad of Wall,SD has committed to SDSU. Connie was an Argus Leader Elite 45 player. He is a 6'2 185 lb QB/DB. 35 Interceptions in his 5 year stint at Wall which may be state record and 141 touchdowns and 3,641 yards rushing.

Impressive stats in his senior year:
                        540 yards rushing
                        11 touchdowns
                        passed for 1501 yards and 25 touchdowns
                        46 Tackles
                        10 Interceptions with 3 returned for touchdowns

Comment

Stefan Geissler the running back from Wisconsin who has verbally committed to the Jacks put up some very impressive numbers at a recent combine the Jacks coaches attended. The 6'1 217 lb back ran a 4.63 40 4.5 agility test, 35 inch vertical jump and 24 reps of 185lbs.

Comment

Brian Fisher is a 6'2 240 lb linebacker out of Sheldon Iowa.

Comment

ex-jack, nice to have someone else on the football recruiting trail.

Comment

ex-jack:

From your post I gathered Basham verballed to the Jacks although the article you cited seemed to indicate he was heading to a school closer to the level of Notre Dame than SDSU. I'm confused.
                                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                                X