X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2006 Recruits

Originally posted by mitchell
    I'm guessing it's Myrio Davis.

Here's what ASU sports page has to say about him.

SU: Talented, young defensive back who will get his chance this season...has moved to safety from cornerback...got a lot of reps during spring ball. 2004: Redshirted as a member of the scout team. HIGH SCHOOL: A 2004 graduate of Hamilton High School in Chandler, Ariz....joined teammates David Smith and Adam Vincent in signing with ASU...a member of the Tacoma News Tribune's "Western 100"...listed as the No. 6 player in the state of Arizona by SuperPrep Magazine...won the Tyrone Byrd Award, presented annually to the state's best defensive back, given by Phoenix Metro Football Magazine...named first-team all-defense by that same publication...listed as the No. 34 defensive back in the nation, the No. 44 player on the West Coast and the No. 3 player in the state of Arizona...listed as an all-region player in the postseason by PrepStar Magazine...ranked No. 29 in the nation as a wide receiver...selected first-team defense All-State in 5A by the East Valley Tribune...Arizona Informant Defensive Player of the Year...racked up 71 tackles...played wide receiver for the first four games of the season...helped lead Hamilton to the 5A state championship in Sun Devil Stadium in 2003...made the tackle in the third overtime to help Hamilton win the state championship in one of the most thrilling games ever...also caused two fumbles and had one fumble recovery in the title game...three-year starter for the varsity...was all-state and all-region as a junior...caught 38 passes for 667 yards (17.6 yards per catch average) and six touchdowns...as a sophomore, was all-region at safety, playing only five games...as a freshman, played running back and ran for 1,700 yards and 19 touchdowns...team was 9-0-1 that year...runs a 4.48 in the 40-yard dash...bench presses 300 pounds...has a vertical leap of 38 inches...coached by John Wrenn...hails from the same high school that produced Terrell Suggs.
    It would be nice if it was him or the guy I mentioned. But, both of these guys attended H.S. at Hamilton H.S. in Chandler AZ. I think we're looking for someone who attended Chandler HS in Chanlder AZ. I couldn't find anyone on ASU's roster that fit that bill.

Comment

I'm guessing that they are just from the same town and not high school.

Comment

Britton Gouch. I believe that's the name of the transfer from Arizona State. I don't see him listed on the ASU roster. Maybe he was a redshirt last season, which would have been his first out of high school. Anyway, he's the 22nd member of the coming class of recruits and new players for next year.
        This space for lease.

Comment

Brief internet search seems to indicate that Britton Gouch signed with Brown University out of high school. Plays DB, 6'2" 185 lbs.

http://arizonavarsity.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=385756

http://www.maxpreps.com/FanPages/Pla...6-d21d42d11c46
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Gouch is the guy.

Comment

What's the ruling on players transferring from a D-IAA program to another D-1AA program. Do they have to sit out a year?

Comment

I guessing they would have to sit out a year, not sure if it is different if they were on a redshirt the previous year.

Comment

Here is a link to a story on Antonio Thompson from the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...30/1002/SPORTS

Interesting note in the story is that Tony wants to wrestle for State as well.  This would be good news for Coach Liles.  Tony is a big kid and should be a force some day for the Jackrabbit football team!  8)  I am very glad he chose SDSU.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

This quote caught my eye as well...

Thompson considered accepting wrestling offers from Virginia Tech and North Dakota State, but says he's excited to play football for the Jacks, and maybe get back into wrestling "for fun" later.

Comment

Tony won the State Championship in his weight class yesterday.

Go State! ;D

Comment

It's nice to see another recruit coming up big in a clutch moment.

From the Argus:

Matt Hylland emerged as an unlikely hero Thursday for the Lincoln Patriots.

Hylland, a 5-foot-10 senior guard, saved his only basket of the night for just the right time, draining a 3-pointer with four seconds remaining in regulation to force overtime. Brimming with confidence, Hylland and his Patriot teammates went on to beat Washington 67-62 in the opening round of the District 2AA basketball tournament at the Warriors' gym.

Lincoln (12-9) will play at Brandon Valley tonight for the championship. Washington (13-8) will look to keep its state tournament hopes alive tonight at home against Yankton.

Hylland's game-saving basket, from deep in the corner in front of Lincoln's bench and student section, came off a feed from Chris Schwartz.

"The intention was to create a double screen for Chris or Matt (Ford) out top, but instead we saw Chris inside and fired it into him," said Hylland, who took only two shots and finished with five points in 32 minutes of action. "It was basically supposed to be a 3 the whole time. He kicked it back out, and it just happened to be to me."

Washington had gone ahead 60-57 on a pair of Ryan Lehr free throws with 13 seconds remaining, prompting a Lincoln timeout to set up the final play.

"We had it," Washington coach Jim Trett said. "When we broke the huddle, we told them that if it gets under six seconds to foul. We had it set up perfectly, but we just had a mental mistake."

Lincoln never trailed in the extra session, nailing down the victory at the free-throw line. Ford made a pair, and junior Nick Selken made 3 of 4 attempts in the game's final 85 seconds.

"Once it went into overtime, we knew it was over," Hylland said. "We just knew it was going to be ours."

Washington bolted to a 37-28 halftime lead on the strength of a 17-of-24 performance from the floor. The Warriors, who were led by Josh Ryan's 14 points, went up 42-31 in the third period on Ben Matchan's 3-pointer.

The Pats then mounted a charge, fueled by Washington turnovers and foul problems for Warriors center Skyler Bolks. Bolks, a 6-foot-8 senior who finished with 12 points on 6-of-7 shooting in just 17 minutes of play, went to the bench after picking up his third foul with 5:30 left in the third and Washington up 44-36.

"They are a hard team for us to match up with," Lincoln coach Robin Burgard said. "We did a heck of a job in the second half. When we went to the zone, they didn't get quite as many easy looks. And the rebounding was huge. We did a much better job of it (16-11) in the second half."

Starting with a Schwartz basket on Bolks' third foul, the Patriots rattled off 12 unanswered points over the next two minutes to take a 46-44 lead.

Selken, who finished with 12 points, twice picked a Warrior clean and converted the steal into a layup on the other end during that stretch. Baskets by Mike Pajor, who led all scorers with 16 points, and Schwartz to end the quarter gave Lincoln a 50-46 advantage with eight minutes to play.

"The third quarter hurt us," Trett said. "We had a flurry of turnovers that they turned into easy baskets. And with Skyler out, we had matchup problems.

"They got the momentum, and that helped their confidence. And at the same time, we probably got a little dent in ours."

Still, the Warriors hung tough, though they lost Bolks for good leading 58-56 with 3:27 left to play.

Ford, who finished with 14 points, made 1 of 2 free throws after Bolks was whistled for his fifth foul. Neither team scored down the stretch until Lehr, who had 13 points off the bench, converted his two pressure-packed free throws to put Washington on the verge of victory.

That was, until Hylland got his hands on the ball one final time.

"The hardest practices we have had all year were the last three days," Hylland said. "I guess it really paid off."

Comment

Nice article on Jacks football recruit Austin Frain's basketball teams success:

Because of his skills on the football field, Treynor athlete Austin Frain is getting his education paid for next year by South Dakota State.  But that hasn't stopped this senior from helping the Treynor basketball team to the State tournament.

"We made it to State so I would say the season is pretty good."

Frain was happy to finally get the Cardinals to Des Moines.

"It feels relieving to finally know that you are going and we've been waiting forever.  Hopefully we can make something happen and win a State championship."

This Treynor team finished the regular season undefeated but that didn't come as a shock to Frain.

"I knew last season that we were going to be good.  I knew we were going to go undefeated but it took a lot of hard work."

In the first round, Frain and his teammates will face off against a very good George-Little Rock squad.

"They are a good team and really have some size.  It will be a challenge but I think we can get it done."

Frain has been enjoying life more after signing his Letter of Intent on February 1st.

"It was a relief.  I finally have my decision made so I can move on."

Comment

Jacks football recruit Derek Domino who is one of the top scorers in the Twin City Metro put up 30 points against Benilde -St Margarets to become his schools all time leading scorer at 1085. At 6'4 195lb guard he would be fun to watch at frost and couglin. He is also among the candidates for Mr Basketball in Minnesota.

Comment

Working...
                            X