2006 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2006 Recruits

Cal Poly has three or four players that are also on the track team.

Freshman LB Danny Rohr was the California State Champion in the shot put last year and had the second longest High School discuss throw (207 feet) in the nation last year.  He will compete this spring in both.

CB Randy Samuel I believe runs the 100 meter.  I know there are others, just can not think of their names.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
      Now that we have Antonio Thompson committing to SDSU would be great to see Quincy Christie from Pierre committ to the Jacks.
      News out of Pierre!!!

Quincy Christie is heading to USD!!

Comment

Originally posted by chopper
        News out of Pierre!!!

Quincy Christie is heading to USD!!
        Congrad to Mr. Christie, I hope he has a great athletic career and also gets the necessary union card, namely a degree that will earn him a good living for the remainder of his young life.

Should the SDSU coaching staff be fired for letting him get away? No, its one less name on the recruiting list to track down in February.

Comment

One thing we have to remember about recruiting 18 yr old young kids....... They don't always want what we have to offer, also during the recruiting process there may be something that a recruiter sees that he may not want as they get to school. This comment is by no means saying anything bad about Mr Christie, it is just a fact about recruiting, it is not an exact science. I wish him the best of luck and look forward to our class of recruits

Go Jacks !!!!!!!!
          http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Alex Tomes 6'2 235 lb DL from Sioux City East was in Brookings in December for a visit. He runs a 4.9 40 and was 2nd team all state on defense.

Comment

Mr. Christie also has a pretty tight connection with USD in some way if i am not mistaken??? I can't recall exactly what it is.
              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Track at USD often entices these athletes to attend a school in Vermillion. Some soon realize their mistake and leave, others stick it out. Time will tell.

Just a little fun. I wish Quincy the best and I'm glad he elected to stay in state.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Jacks have offered the following players in Wisconsin:

Stefan Geissler 6'1 216 RB Cadott All Area
                  Alex Beyer 6'4 1/2 235  TE Neenah 1st team all conf
                  Colin Cochart  6'5  232  TE Kewaunee 1st team all-state
                  He was #1 rated TE at Midwest High School scouting combine with a 4.8 40 and 30 inch vertical

These players were all listed in the top 30 of the class of 2006 in Wisconsin.

Comment

Jacks have offers out to at least two Arizona recuits:

Josh Morrow 6'4 195 Reciever Glendale
                    Tim House 5'9 180 RB Peoria

Comment

I too would like to have seen Quincy committ to SDSU. We have offers out to other backs with comprable or better talent I would assume.

Comment

I'm picking up the impression from the board that SDSU's hard line on not allowing athletes to compete in more than one sport is preventing us from signing some of the better in-state athletes.

Is that a reasonable conclusion?

If so, I say change the @#$@ hard line! If the athlete wants to compete in a fall sport and a spring sport, let him/her prove that he/she can handle the academics, and if so, let 'em go for it.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
                          Mr. Christie also has a pretty tight connection with USD in some way if i am not mistaken???  I can't recall exactly what it is.
                          Not that I really want to talk about a D-II recruit on our board, but accoeding to the Capital Journal Christie lived in Vermillion prior to moving to Pierre.

http://www.capjournal.com/main.asp?S...rticleID=14325

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Quincy also spurned NDSU. My guess is they gave him a similar answer to competing in track.

I think with the issues we have with the basketball team we shouldn't be as worried about getting the best in-state talent as we are about getting the best talent.

Remember we don't have 63 scholarships to hand out so our coaches have to limit their focus to important holes to fill. Right now we are seriously deep at WR so maybe they had to focus on a different position.

Comment

NDSU has football players on the track team so don't think that was it. I agree we need the best players regardless of where they hail from. Quincy will need to add some weight or may have some durability issues no matter what level he plays at. SDSU not feeling the love from Pierre this year.

Comment

I can guarantee there is no way NDSU would discourage a kid who wants to participate in both track and football.  There are a number of athletes doing both for the Bison...always have been, always will.  Coach Bohl and Coach Larson (SDSU '75) seem to have an excellent working relationship.

When SDSU was dominant in track in years past, football players participated in track.  In today's great track programs, football players are running and throwing (and a few can even jump).  

I've said it many times on this message board:  you want speed on your football team?  Go to a track meet and that's where you'll find the real burners who also like to play football.  Go to the shot and disc areas and find the weight throwers who like to play football.

I have been told there is no formal policy forbidding football players from participating in track at SDSU.  However, the sheer absence of football players on the track roster speaks volumes.

Quincy Christie's sister ran track at USD...he has lived for years with his sister who is married to Scott Munson.  Scott was a standout runner for Augie but later was a highly successful distance running coach at USD (under Dave Gottsleben SDSU 75, head coach).  So, Quincy has a lot of connection with USD.  He's a good kid who'll do well in both sports.

All we can do about Quincy's decision is speculate and that's probably not productive. For all we on this board know, Quincy selected USD because they have a business school; or, perhaps our coaches felt they couldn't use him and in the end, didn't pursue him very hard. I think it is a fact, not speculation, that SDSU does not want its football players running track. As a former Jack runner with kids in the program, that really bothers me.

Comment

Working...
                                X