X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Beef Bowl Predictions

Originally posted by MaxBaer
    [quote author=UCABEARS75 link=1159828785/30#40 date=1160140310]
    Please forgive some of my UCA breathren . . . we need to learn some humility as it will not always be wine and roses, just as it was not in D-II
    Bear75, things will not always be 'wine and roses' but confidence and ‘swagger’ are two of the most important elements of football. Games are decided by the presence or absence of these traits.

The Bears are playing with a lot of confidence right now and they have developed a little swagger. So have some of their fans.  It is no different with SDSU.  And that is nothing to apologize for.

But the games are won by the team that walks the walk.  We will see what happens when they tee it up Saturday night.  Good luck to all.

If you have it, you win. If you don’t have it, you lose.  If you don’t know what it is, you haven’t got a chance.

[/quote]

I do not disagree that having confidence and swagger is good.  But having confidence in your own team does not mean you have to disparage your upcoming opponent or who (whom?) they have played previously.

SDSU has had a very rough stretch of road games, the last two of which they won.

If we win Saturday night it will not be a pushover, I would hope SDSU fans feel the same way.

Comment

I think 10-12,000 is reasonable and also a reasonable guess. It really doesn't matter. I see USD is announcing that "very few" tickets remain for their game this weekend.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by UCABEARS75
        [quote author=MaxBaer link=1159828785/30#44 date=1160154201][quote author=UCABEARS75 link=1159828785/30#40 date=1160140310]
        Please forgive some of my UCA breathren . . . we need to learn some humility as it will not always be wine and roses, just as it was not in D-II
        Bear75, things will not always be 'wine and roses' but confidence and ‘swagger’ are two of the most important elements of football. Games are decided by the presence or absence of these traits.

The Bears are playing with a lot of confidence right now and they have developed a little swagger. So have some of their fans.  It is no different with SDSU.  And that is nothing to apologize for.

But the games are won by the team that walks the walk.  We will see what happens when they tee it up Saturday night.  Good luck to all.

If you have it, you win. If you don’t have it, you lose.  If you don’t know what it is, you haven’t got a chance.

[/quote]

I do not disagree that having confidence and swagger is good.  But having confidence in your own team does not mean you have to disparage your upcoming opponent or who (whom?) they have played previously.

SDSU has had a very rough stretch of road games, the last two of which they won.

If we win Saturday night it will not be a pushover, I would hope SDSU fans feel the same way.
        [/quote]

I for one Jack Alum and Fan do not see this game as an easy one.  Any team that comes out of the Gulf South Conference as the champ is darn good. The way you handled USD gives me a great deal of concern. Our guys will have a challange no doubt about it. Good luck and lets hope for a big crowd and a great game.

BTW what or who is the Livermore Larrper? Just curious

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
          I think 10-12,000 is reasonable and also a reasonable guess.  It really doesn't matter.  I see USD is announcing that "very few" tickets remain for their game this weekend.
          I meant advance ticket sales. I don't think there are 10,000 reserved seats in the west side, but I may be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
            BTW what or who is the Livermore Larrper?  Just curious
            A larruper is one who “beats or thrashs”

On a foggy night in the Mission District of San Francisco over 76 years ago, 15,000 people witnessed one of that city’s most famous killings.

It wasn't meant to be a homicide, just a boxing match featuring local (Livermore) fighters “Max Baer” (aka the Cinderella Man) and Frankie Campbell. But it ended with a right hook that left Campbell dead.

A San Francisco Examiner editorial called it a "five- round execution," and it cemented the reputation of Max Baer the "Livermore Larruper" as a crazy showboat whose powerful right hand could kill a man.

Comment

[quote author=Haldersham link=1159828785/45#47 date=1160156979]BTW what or who is the Livermore Larrper?  Just curious

On a foggy night in the Mission District of San Francisco over 76 years ago, 15,000 people witnessed one of that city’s most famous killings.

It wasn't meant to be a homicide, just a boxing match featuring local (Livermore) fighters “Max Baer” (aka the Cinderella Man) and Frankie Campbell. But it ended with a right hook that left Campbell dead.

A San Francisco Examiner editorial called it a "five- round execution," and it cemented the reputation of Max Baer the "Livermore Larruper" as a crazy showboat whose powerful right hand could kill a man.
              [/quote]

Thanks. I know little about boxing history only to include some of the famous names such as Max Baer. I did not know of this fight nor had I heard of Frankie Campell and his death. I guess it does fit your UCA mascot image though.

Comment

[quote author=Haldersham link=1159828785/45#47 date=1160156979]BTW what or who is the Livermore Larrper?  Just curious

[/quote]

Actually, the Cinderalla Man was James Braddock who fought Max Baer and upset him. (Good movie starring Russell Crowe as Braddock...it mentions Campbell's death in a fight with Baer shortly before Braddock met Baer in the ring.)

Boxing trivia:  Who was Max Baer's son?     Answer: He played Jethro on the Beverly Hillbillies.

Comment

That would be Jethro, Max Baer Jr.
                  I missed a good boxing movie.

Comment

20-7, SDSU, final.

12,332 attendance.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                      20-7, SDSU, final.

12,332 attendance.
                      Yes!!

If I was a smack talker, I would go give the USD fans some grief.

But, I'm above that. 8-)

Comment

Since USD is being mentioned, Dakota Day had an announced and round figure of 10250 attendee's

So the Beefy draws about 2 thousand more. We should feel proud as we did that with out the John Deere hoard from the North. (NDSU)

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
                          Since USD is being mentioned, Dakota Day had an announced and round figure of 10250 attendee's
                          Now way 10,250 through the turnstiles. Maybe 8,500. Doesn't matter but I just don't believe it. I'm pretty sure I could have had my hands on hundreds of tickets as late as Friday.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks02
                            SDSU 21, UCA 17

Attendance - 12,500 if a nice day, 8,500 if the current forecast for rain showers on Saturday is right.

Not too shabby, I gave Central Arkansas a few too many points and was 270 away from the attendance figure.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                              [quote author=Haldersham link=1159828785/45#55 date=1160280245]Since USD is being mentioned, Dakota Day had an announced and round figure of 10250 attendee's
                              Now way 10,250 through the turnstiles.  Maybe 8,500.  Doesn't matter but I just don't believe it.  I'm pretty sure I could have had my hands on hundreds of tickets as late as Friday.[/quote]

I'm with you jackmd. This would not be the first time the folks down in verminville embelished their attendance figures. Back in the NCC, if we played at Frost for the first game somehow the second game in Vermillion was always higher attendance. I remember one time they must have reported AT LEAST 2000 more than were at the game.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitinTea
                                [quote author=jackmd link=1159828785/45#56 date=1160320074][quote author=Haldersham link=1159828785/45#55 date=1160280245]Since USD is being mentioned, Dakota Day had an announced and round figure of 10250 attendee's
                                Now way 10,250 through the turnstiles.  Maybe 8,500.  Doesn't matter but I just don't believe it.  I'm pretty sure I could have had my hands on hundreds of tickets as late as Friday.[/quote]

I'm with you jackmd.  This would not be the first time the folks down in verminville embelished their attendance figures.  Back in the NCC, if we played at Frost for the first game somehow the second game in Vermillion was always higher attendance.  I remember one time they must have reported AT LEAST 2000 more than were at the game.[/quote]

I was shocked to hear the number at the game, was expecting a bit over 11,000 to be announced. Thought the NDSU game had a lot more fans. While USD may inflate their numbers a bunch, I'm still not convinced SDSU's are that accurate either. Using the known number in the pride and how much room they take up, I just can't see there being over 10,000 there. However I know exact numbers for any type of event are impossible and are typically inflated. It's just the nature of the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X