Spring Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spring Football

I had a softball tourney or I probably would have been there this weekend.

Comment

I planned on going, but oldest had prom and helped w/ after prom party. Thought I better be home in case...Would have enjoyed being in Brookings.

Comment

I was golfing. And, I'm not driving 6 hours for a spring game.

Comment

I watched Jackrabbits running at the Drake Relays, including Becka Mansheim breaking her own school record in at 1500 meters with a fourth-place finish against very tough competition. Story with a link to the Drake results: http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Va...cfm?Id=46,5977

Alan Webb ran 3:51 in the mile. For those who are not track fans: that's EXTREMELY fast...fastest in the world so far and it also appears to be the fastest mile ever run prior to May 1 (the significance of the date: runners are not "peaking" yet with training and performances).

Comment

The Athletic Dept. offered a free to the public, low cost to the university, event. Anything more the department could of done would of cost money that could be better used somewhere else. Special events and extra give aways all cost money to produce. One could argue that the university should put some money into promotion of the spring game, calling it an investment. I think though that that the university is right to be frivolous with their money. As has been said before, attendance only matters in the fall, the people paid to come to the game then. Therefore a better investment.

Comment

I made it to the game. I carpooled with a couple of friends and threw in our 5 boys. We looked around the bookstore, enjoyed a free rootbeer float (which the kids thought was awesome), and took in some football on a beautiful spring day. We also watched as the kids played catch on the field, stretched with the team, and participated in a throwing contest. The people putting everything on were very patient with the kids and more than accomodating with the crowd. Because of injuries, it was hard to really get a feel for either side of the ball, but it was a pleasant experience. Hell, my son even got on KELO for a few seconds...wanna talk about making his entire year. My only complaint was the field. I know it wouldn't really make much sense to do anything before spring ball is over, but that field is in horrid shape. Howard Wood was always the same way prior to the field turf being put in. If BHS and SDSU are going to continue to use the same filed, something has to be done. Maybe this is a one time thing from the crazy weather we got at the beginning of the season last year. If not, I definitely will chip in what I can to add the turf.
              One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                I guess this is the approprate place to comment on how we boost attendence for the Annual Spring Scrimmage. I assume there are lessons to be learned and best practices to follow from other schools who do garner a big crowd from their loyal followers. The game is the first real opportunity to see some of those redshirt freshman get on the field. Is it important we get Jacks fans out to see this game? The interest in Jacks football continues to get better, but it's those late season games and events like the Spring Scrimmage that make you wonder the depth of the following. I have been to the Spring Scrimmage in the past, but could not make it this year and do find find it interesting to see the emerging talent for the following fall. What more can the Jacks Athletic Department do to increase participation?
                Don't hold it during the NFL Draft?

Comment

Working...
                X