Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spring Football

Originally posted by EQguy
    I did attend but was chasing my 7 yr old so I didn't get to see much.  

*Steffen blew up his ankle and part of his tibia and fibula.  He is scheduled for surgery this week.  
    *Koenig had shoulder surgery but should be ready to go for the season.
    *There were many players not in pads for the game including Jason Nobiling, Antonio Thompson and Kyle Sheehan.  Maybe footballfan can give us some updates there.  
    * The crowd was fairly small, maybe 300, looked mostly like parents and friends.
    *It appeared that the defense had the best of the offense but the offense was struggling catching and holding on to the ball.  I really didn't get much of a chance to watch with any focus.  Hopefully, someone that paid better attention can give more of an informed opinion.

They are holding Nobling out of contact drills just to give his knee, which he has torn his ACL twice now, some extra time. Thompson I believe injured a tendon in his hand, not sure how serious that is. Haven't heard anything about Sheehan.

Comment

Weather forecast looks excellent. Planning my tailgate party now. I don't have an official spot but will probably purchase one this weekend. I need to get a good look at what is available.

Looking forward to seeing the 2007 version of the Jackrabbits.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
        My first impulse, since Bluehatman was being so clever, was to send Bluehat a message saying he's never going to see his blue hat again (I understand it's missing in action).  But, I didn't do that. 
        The hat had to go, the inside of the hat was falling apart from a couple of years of wear and tear. Maybe this summer I'll invest in a new one, maybe not. We'll see, the mother figure was a little disappointed in it disappearing.

Comment

Tee time for 9:00 Saturday morning in Brookings, planning to hit the backyard after that. Looks like great weather.

Footballfan, I may need to borrow some space on your grill, are you gonna have room?
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Doc,

Just got back from town, bought enough food and drink for Saturday. And of course there is always enough extra space on the grill. May cost you a cold one...... See you then

Go Jacks !!!!!!!
            http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

http://media.www.sdsucollegian.com/m...-2880631.shtml

Spring allows team to solidify
              The Jackrabbits enter spring ball still feeling the pain of losing the conference championship.

Ariy-El Boynton

Media Credit: John Nelson
              Coach John Stiegelmeier watches his players perform during an early morning practice on April 24.

Spring football is a time for the team to work on getting better and establishing the depth chart. The team focuses on learning the offensive and defensive systems, while incorporating some new aspects the coaches learned on professional visits during the offseason to other colleges.

"The neat thing about spring ball is we don't have a game we have to get ready for. We can focus on becoming a better team," Head Coach John Stiegelmeier said. "Our deal is to teach more than to beat on each other." . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

-----
                Last edited by goob; 11-13-2009, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by footballfan
                  Doc,

Just got back from town, bought enough food and drink for Saturday. And of course there is always enough extra space on the grill. May cost you a cold one......   See you then

Go Jacks  !!!!!!!
                  I will have plenty of "cold ones" to distribute. Do you have a preference of brands? Planning on bringing my children as well as some nieces and nephews. Should be a great day to be outside. Don't forget the sunscreen.

My kids might be a little young for the on the field stretch and I think I'm too old.

As for the game, most interested to see the QB's, RB's, and WR's. The battle in the trenches should be impressive with the quality of both lines.

Comment

Just 4 1/2 hours until kick-off!!!

I hope to see a bunch of people there and, if somebody can distract my wife, I might even win something in the silent auction. ;D :

Comment

Defense leads 6-0 in the 1st quarter.
                      Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Didn't make it to the game today...are there any more updates? I'm guessing there are a few still in the backyard/downtown.

Comment

I was chasing my seven year old again so I didn't get to see everything but I thought it was a pretty good game over all. Both sides of the ball had their moments. The offense really seemed to click under Berry. He made some very good throws. Minette looked good running the ball. The defense is going to be very good. We were a bit thin at WR and Corner but that could possibly be filled through the Juco ranks.
                          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                          -Leo Rosten

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...38/1002/SPORTS

Berry shines at QB for Jacks in spring game
                            Injuries took toll on squad during practices

By Terry Vandrovec
                            tvandrovec@argusleader.com
                            Published: April 29, 2007

BROOKINGS - The quarterback situation during South Dakota State's spring football season had been described as cloudy. Then again, so had the weather.

That changed Saturday.

A still and sunny day drew a crowd of 500-plus - not bad for a school not named Alabama, coach John Stiegelmeier said with a smile - and junior quarterback Ryan Berry led the SDSU offense to both of its touchdowns and a total of 22 points in a 34-28 victory against the defense at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium.

The most game experienced of the four players vying to replace all-Great West Football Conference pick Andy Kardoes, Berry was the second quarterback to work with the first offense yet he sparked a touchdown drive on his first series and finished 11 of 16 for 172 yards as the Jackrabbits gained roughly twice as many yards through the air as on the ground.  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy
                              I was chasing my seven year old again so I didn't get to see everything but I thought it was a pretty good game over all.  Both sides of the ball had their moments.  The offense really seemed to click under Berry.  He made some very good throws.  Minette looked good running the ball.  The defense is going to be very good.  We were a bit thin at WR and Corner but that could possibly be filled through the Juco ranks.  

Great day for a game, great time in the Backyard. Berry and Jeske both seemed solid at QB. Both lines played hard, tough to tell how good they are against each other. I'm not really qualified to comment on much else.

Field is definitely in "winter shape" still. Middle is mostly bare, wet week before the game. I'm sure the crew will have it ready for the fall.

Comment

I guess this is the approprate place to comment on how we boost attendence for the Annual Spring Scrimmage. I assume there are lessons to be learned and best practices to follow from other schools who do garner a big crowd from their loyal followers. The game is the first real opportunity to see some of those redshirt freshman get on the field. Is it important we get Jacks fans out to see this game? The interest in Jacks football continues to get better, but it's those late season games and events like the Spring Scrimmage that make you wonder the depth of the following. I have been to the Spring Scrimmage in the past, but could not make it this year and do find find it interesting to see the emerging talent for the following fall. What more can the Jacks Athletic Department do to increase participation?

Comment

Working...
                                X