Spring Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spring Football

If anyone attended the scrimmage in Sioux Falls please share the highlights!

Comment

I did attend but was chasing my 7 yr old so I didn't get to see much.

*Steffen blew up his ankle and part of his tibia and fibula. He is scheduled for surgery this week.
      *Koenig had shoulder surgery but should be ready to go for the season.
      *There were many players not in pads for the game including Jason Nobiling, Antonio Thompson and Kyle Sheehan. Maybe footballfan can give us some updates there.
      * The crowd was fairly small, maybe 300, looked mostly like parents and friends.
      *It appeared that the defense had the best of the offense but the offense was struggling catching and holding on to the ball. I really didn't get much of a chance to watch with any focus. Hopefully, someone that paid better attention can give more of an informed opinion.

"The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

It was hard to say who "won" the scrimmage. Scoring wasn't announced on the PA, and there were no programs to help fans keep the players straight. The offense didn't look real sharp but scored a couple of TDs on passes. The defense recovered a fumble and was probably more in control. With Koenig injured, Hohn looked like the go-to running back. All four QBs were in action. Ryan Crawford looked surprisingly good (to me, anyway). JaRon Harris looks as fast as ever. Early in warmups and drills, I think one of the kickers (Douglas?) drilled a 60-yard-plus field goal (with room to spare) with help from a very strong wind. For at least half the session, players just gathered for position drills and stuff like that. It was well organized practice that allowed the SDSU staff to meet and mingle with others. Players got to practice on artificial turf in a different environment. Bringing a practice to Sioux Falls was a good idea, but it could have used a little more advance hype to attract more people.
        This space for lease.

Comment

Don't have too much to add to the others.

Not sure what the deal was with Sheehan and Thompson, they didn't appear to have any injuries as they were running through some of the drills, just without pads. They played chain gang for the scrimmage.

Not sure how much you can gather just from a few scrimmage plays, but of the 4 quarterbacks, Jeske and Berry stood out the most to me. Jeske is probably the quickest of the 4 and looks like he'd be able to make some plays with his feet like Kardoes. Seemed to me there were more than a couple dropped passes by the receivers as well.

Really looking forward to seeing what our defensive line can do this season, we've got some horses, even with Thompson and Sheehan on the sidelines today.

Comment

Anyone know how long Steffan is out for? I think it's safe to say the season for sure. His injury sounds pretty serious. Did he injure it in the game or earlier on in spring drills?

I was looking forward to watching him play this year. I was guessing he and Harris were going to have a big year together. Has Doblar recovered from his injury last year?

Comment

Steffen was on the sideline the whole day with his foot elevated in an air cast, I'm assuming it happened earlier in the week at practice. No idea about Doblar.

Comment

Originally posted by RLIV
                Anyone know how long Steffan is out for?  I think it's safe to say the season for sure.  His injury sounds pretty serious.  Did he injure it in the game or earlier on in spring drills?

I was looking forward to watching him play this year.  I was guessing he and Harris were going to have a big year together.  Has Doblar recovered from his injury last year?
                I would be careful about speculating the seriousness of Steffan's injury as this is a young man's life we are talking about. It would be better to wait for the official release to be posted on the Jack's website and then allow one of the Moderator's to post it here.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                  [quote author=RLIV link=1173569629/30#34 date=1177264586]Anyone know how long Steffan is out for?  I think it's safe to say the season for sure.  His injury sounds pretty serious.  Did he injure it in the game or earlier on in spring drills?

I was looking forward to watching him play this year.  I was guessing he and Harris were going to have a big year together.  Has Doblar recovered from his injury last year?
                  I would be careful about speculating the seriousness of Steffan's injury as this is a young man's life we are talking about. It would be better to wait for the official release to be posted on the Jack's website and then allow one of the Moderator's to post it here.  [/quote]
                  Amen

Comment

*From the Moderator

Enough!  Apperently a couple of you can't read and I must admit it is starting to frustrate me.

The Message Board Rule on Rumors and Attribution Rule (filbert, 3/5/07)

If you feel the urge to spread rumors about players (in any sport) leaving SDSU, CITING YOUR SOURCE IS NOW REQUIRED.  

Acceptable sources are: Printed or broadcast news media (or web sites of printed or broadcast news media), coaches, and players on the team, or other person, BY NAME. No other sources will be acceptable on this board. Some unnamed person you talked to in the Union, in HPER, or anywhere else is not an acceptable source. Other Internet boards and blogs are not acceptable sources.  

Failure to cite your source will result in the post and/or the thread being pulled and, quite possibly, depending on how the Moderator's day is going, the rumor-monger getting banned permanently from this board.  

Note also that spreading the rumor in the form of a question (i.e. ""Did anybody hear the rumor that Joe Player is leaving the team?" or "What happens if Joe Player leaves the team?&quot falls under this rule. Any other methods of rumor-mongering which in the opinion of the Moderators is not properly sourced falls under this rule.  

This board is intended to SUPPORT SDSU athletics. Unsourced rumors about SDSU student-athletes are destructive to the morale of the team and the entire SDSU community, and as such do not support SDSU athletics.  

Re-read the highlighted section and please let me know what part is so hard to understand about this rule.

Comment

I haven't heard anything contrary to Doblar being 100%. Looking forward to the Spring game. The injury to Mike sounds pretty significant but young kids heal quickly. If he can't play a full year and wants a medical redshirt, I'm sure Stig will apply for that (if its possible).

I hope the weather cooperates for next Saturday. 7-day forecast says 70 degrees and mostly sunny. That would make for a great day in the backyard.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I'm wondering if redshirt status or medical leaves had something to do with players who worked the chains but weren't wearing pads. This is a new spring but not a new school year. I don't know what the rules are on that kind of stuff.
                        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                          *From the Moderator

Enough!  Apperently a couple of you can't read and I must admit it is starting to frustrate me.

The Message Board Rule on Rumors and Attribution Rule (filbert, 3/5/07)

If you feel the urge to spread rumors about players (in any sport) leaving SDSU, CITING YOUR SOURCE IS NOW REQUIRED.  

Acceptable sources are: Printed or broadcast news media (or web sites of printed or broadcast news media), coaches, and players on the team, or other person, BY NAME. No other sources will be acceptable on this board. Some unnamed person you talked to in the Union, in HPER, or anywhere else is not an acceptable source. Other Internet boards and blogs are not acceptable sources.  

Failure to cite your source will result in the post and/or the thread being pulled and, quite possibly, depending on how the Moderator's day is going, the rumor-monger getting banned permanently from this board.  

Note also that spreading the rumor in the form of a question (i.e. ""Did anybody hear the rumor that Joe Player is leaving the team?" or "What happens if Joe Player leaves the team?&quot falls under this rule. Any other methods of rumor-mongering which in the opinion of the Moderators is not properly sourced falls under this rule.  

This board is intended to SUPPORT SDSU athletics. Unsourced rumors about SDSU student-athletes are destructive to the morale of the team and the entire SDSU community, and as such do not support SDSU athletics.  

Re-read the highlighted section and please let me know what part is so hard to understand about this rule.
                          I'm not trying to make light of the "rumor rule" but I don't see anywhere in this thread where someone is talking about an SDSU player leaving the team??? So I guess I have to ask why this rule is being applied here? Forgive my ignorance if I'm missing something obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack
                            I'm not trying to make light of the "rumor rule" but I don't see anywhere in this thread where someone is talking about an SDSU player leaving the team???  So I guess I have to ask why this rule is being applied here?  Forgive my ignorance if I'm missing something obvious.  
                            BTownJack:  Here's what happened.  Comments on Steffen's unfortunate injury are okay.  Yesterday, posters on a thread speculated on a current Jackrabbit athlete and whether they will be leaving or staying.  I asked them to respect the rumors and attribution rule which is limited to whether athletes are transferring (see the rule).  People didn't like that.  Some took a couple shots at the rule/moderator(s).  Moderator 89Rabbit quoted the rule as a reminder.

Then, in the thread involving Steffen's injury, someone took a shot at the moderators...it was sarcasm.  Actually, I thought it was funny.  89Rabbit quoted the rule to show it has no impact on the discussion about Steffen.  

So, speculate away about Steffen's injury.  From what I've heard, may be a season-ending and certainly sounds like a season shortening (that is, best hope this time is he'll be back for maybe the very end of the season) injury.

ADDITION: My first impulse, since Bluehatman was being so clever, was to send Bluehat a message saying he's never going to see his blue hat again (I understand it's missing in action).  But, I didn't do that. 

Continue having fun on the message board.

Go Jacks.

Comment

*From the Moderator

JackJD is right.  I grow weary of people trying to make the rumor rule into more then it is (be it intentionally or unintentionally).  To be honest, it is a very simple rule one that should be easily understood.  In a nutshell if you want to post about a current SDSU student athlete leaving their team then include your source.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Seems very simple to me and very limited in the scope of what kind of discussion it applies to.

So, what does this rule have to do with the discussion of injuries?  Absolutely nothing, that is the point.  Why did I post it in this thread?  It was my hope that by highlighting what the rule actually covers that some on the board would feel less "oppressed" by this rule that values current student athletes’ privacy over the need to gossip.

Remember the moderators, like most on the board, are supporters of SDSU and our athletic teams.  We have been fans much longer then this or any board has existed, heck longer then the internet has existed.  We are all on the same team.

To paraphrase filbert, we use our best judgment to moderate in a way that provides a supportive, entertaining and interesting environment in which to discuss SDSU athletics and other topics.  I can't speak for the others, but for me, being a moderator is something I do because it is a job that has to be done.  It is kind of a chore, but I look at it as a labor of love.  I certainly don't do it for the pay check or the "fan" mail that I get from time to time (they usually start by letting me know that I have "turned into" some sort of despot).

Hopefully this helps clear up any misunderstanding that my attempt to further clarify what is and is not covered by this rule may have caused, and I hope we are all ready to move on.

Comment

A kid from my high school had what sounds like a similiar injury to steffan and was out 4 months and it took him another month to gain full strength in it. so 5 months if everything goes great I would say... (he did have surgury on it)

Comment

Working...
                                X