X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2008 Recruits

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    filbert: Any news on Holt?
    Nope. I wonder if he's holding out for a "better offer." Since the signing period goes for six weeks (I think), it could be a while, I suppose.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

He took a late (last night) Bo Pellini offer to walk on....info is on the bottom of the TV's blog. See the link Below and go to
      7:54 p.m. insert at the bottom of the National Signing Day entry.

"7:54 p.m. I’m back in Sioux Falls and ready to tap out. One last bit of info: The mysterious Matt Holt plans to walk-on at Nebraska. He said that backing out of his verbal commitment to SDSU was difficult because he really liked the coaches......."

Read More:
      http://blogs.argusleadermedia.com/sports/category/sdsu/
      Last edited by Gameday; 02-06-2008, 08:35 PM. Reason: Add source info and quote
      “Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.” -Bernard Shaw

Comment

TV says Holt plans on walking on at Nebraska. From the blog:

'The mysterious Matt Holt plans to walk-on at Nebraska. He said that backing out of his verbal commitment to SDSU was difficult because he really liked the coaches. But he grew up a Huskers fan - most of his family went to school in Lincoln - and a call from Bo Pellini last night opened the door. If you’re scoring at home (or even if you’re alone), that makes three players that were offered - or had already accepted - scholarships from SDSU to opt for the Huskers’ renewed walk-on program this semester. Don’t think that FCS coaches in this region won’t be keeping an eye on how many of the reported 65 walk-ons actually make the team at Nebraska.'

http://blogs.argusleadermedia.com/sports/category/sdsu/

Comment

After a year of sitting at the far end of the bench in Lincoln, perhaps getting on the field, or maybe starting in Brookings might not sound so bad, a year from now.

Good luck to all the recruits no matter where they are headed!
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

A big loss. Big loss. Terry V. said he had the "wow" factor. We do not get many of those players. Probably not enough. We make up for it with hard-woring blue-collar guys.

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            After a year of sitting at the far end of the bench in Lincoln, perhaps getting on the field, or maybe starting in Brookings might not sound so bad, a year from now.

Good luck to all the recruits no matter where they are headed!
            Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Jim Ebke left for Neb and now Holt. Who is the third former SDSU commit to decide to walk on at Nebraska?

Comment

Is there some kind of rule for walk-ons? I understand they may get other scholarships to help pay for school, but is there a limit on how long they can be considered a walk-on? If not, wouldn't it be possible to take a smart kid, load him up with academic scholarships and then not use up one of the limited number of football scholarships?

I guess what I'm asking is, can a kid be a walk-on for 4 or 5 years or is there a time limit when the kid must decide between sports and academic scholarships?
                One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Whoa, if Nebraska has 1/3 that many walkons, then very, very few of them are even going to be able to practice... I mean, doesn't DI limit rosters sizes to 90?

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                    Is there some kind of rule for walk-ons? I understand they may get other scholarships to help pay for school, but is there a limit on how long they can be considered a walk-on? If not, wouldn't it be possible to take a smart kid, load him up with academic scholarships and then not use up one of the limited number of football scholarships?

I guess what I'm asking is, can a kid be a walk-on for 4 or 5 years or is there a time limit when the kid must decide between sports and academic scholarships?
                    Student-athletes can get a mixture of athletic and academic scholarships, all academic or all athletic. There is an NCAA max amount of money any one kid can get between athletic, academic and independent scholarships. That amount is higher than the school's tuition and room/board though.

So yes, a kid can be a walk-on for 4 or 5 years if he is on a full academic scholarship.

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post
                      Whoa, if Nebraska has 1/3 that many walkons, then very, very few of them are even going to be able to practice... I mean, doesn't DI limit rosters sizes to 90?
                      I thought that the roster size of 90 had something to do with Title IX rather than just a solid ceiling. I think that is how Nebraska can do this. But don't quote me on that, I don't make it a habit to keep up with NCAA bylaws.

Student-athletes can get a mixture of athletic and academic scholarships, all academic or all athletic. There is an NCAA max amount of money any one kid can get between athletic, academic and independent scholarships. That amount is higher than the school's tuition and room/board though.

So yes, a kid can be a walk-on for 4 or 5 years if he is on a full academic scholarship.
                      The limited scholarship sports (Golf, Tennis, Swim, Baseball etc) have many "Walk-On" student-athletes. I'd bet if you asked these coaches they love things like the Jackrabbit Guarantee as it gives them a leg up with money that is not available at many area schools.
                      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                      -Leo Rosten

Comment

I'd bet if you asked these coaches they love things like the Jackrabbit Guarantee as it gives them a leg up with money that is not available at many area schools.[/quote]

What is the Jackrabbit Guarantee?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                          Jeremy Wallace of Omaha Bryan who had an offer from the Jacks has decided to accept a recruited walk-on invitation to Nebraska.
                          Wallace, Holt and Ebke the 3 that Terry was talking about maybe?

Comment

Here is a portion Terry's article from the Argus today about our football recruiting class. For some reason the online version is not listing this article. If someone finds it, please post.

I put in bold my favorite part. I like our new QB already!

As Gateway play looms, Jacks ink 19 players
                            BY TERRY VANDROVEC
                            tvandrovec@argusleader.com

BROOKINGS – South Dakota State was involved in two unusual situations Wednesday, meaning National Signing Day went pretty much as planned.

For all the preparation and information gathering that goes into it, the first day of the seven-week signing period is becoming increasingly unpredictable.

“There’s no doubt that a verbal com­mitment at this level and this day and age doesn’t mean what it did when we were (NCAA) Division II,” Jackrabbits coach John Stiegelmeier said. “And I don’t mean the kids are different. I think it’s the nature of our society.”

For example, SDSU didn’t land one of the players that had previously made a verbal commitment, suburban Kansas City standout safety Matt Holt. But the Jacks did ink – among 18 others – Chris Tracy, a projected linebacker from West Lyon that had verbally committed to the University of North Dakota.

Swayed by an 11th-hour call from Nebraska head coach Bo Pellini, Holt, who helped Lee’s Summit West to an undefeated season and Mis­souri Class 4A state title, opted to walk-on with the Cornhuskers. Alife­long Nebraska fan, Holt said that he was given overnight to decide and ultimately opted not to return the National Letter of Intent that was sent to him by SDSU.

There was only one Minnesotan in the bunch, quarterback Thomas O’Brien of Winona Cotter High School, but he’s already had an impact. One of the first players to make a verbal commitment, the 6-3, 200-pound O’Brien used deductive reasoning – because coaches aren’t allowed to help potential recruits contact one another – to track down other prospects and encourage them to choose SDSU.

It certainly didn’t hurt that he threw for 5,505 yards and 69 touch­downs in his prep career.

“Not only does he do it on the film, but he’s shown he’s going to be a phenomenal leader,” Stiegelmeier said. “The way he got involved with our program and communicates with us shows he’s a real mature guy, and you want that in a great leader.” O’Brien may soon have more play­ers to lead.

Comment

Link for prior Argus article:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../80207020/1002

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabid View Post
                                I'd bet if you asked these coaches they love things like the Jackrabbit Guarantee as it gives them a leg up with money that is not available at many area schools.
                                What is the Jackrabbit Guarantee?[/QUOTE]

The Jackrabbit Guarantee rewards new first-time students earning a 24 or higher on the ACT with at least $1,000.00 in scholarship support per year. A student may benefit from the program for up to four years (8 semesters maximum) as long as they continue to meet the requirements of the program. Its in addition to the Opportunity Scholarship they might qualify for as SD residents.

Comment

Working...
                                X