Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2008 Recruits

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
    I thought that the roster size of 90 had something to do with Title IX rather than just a solid ceiling. I think that is how Nebraska can do this. But don't quote me on that, I don't make it a habit to keep up with NCAA bylaws.

The limited scholarship sports (Golf, Tennis, Swim, Baseball etc) have many "Walk-On" student-athletes. I'd bet if you asked these coaches they love things like the Jackrabbit Guarantee as it gives them a leg up with money that is not available at many area schools.
    I can guarantee that the football coaches are fans of the JG program as well. That extra thousand dollars, that doesn't come from their budget, can come in extra handy when they are trying to split up the 63 scholarships they are allowed.
    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Follow up to yesterdays signings and some links to articles in Terry's blog.

http://blogs.argusleadermedia.com/sp...-day-wrap.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
        Follow up to yesterdays signings and some links to articles in Terry's blog.

http://blogs.argusleadermedia.com/sp...-day-wrap.html
        There is some great info in there about our recruits. it is well worth your time to read!

Comment

From the Tyler Luethje link in Terry's blog

“I’m a pretty big UNI fan,” Luethje said. “When I made my visit there, by comparison, SDSU is just the place for me. I’m already not a UNI fan anymore.”
          “It’s more of a mid-size town, it kind of reminded me of Cedar Falls,” Luethje said of Brookings. “I made my official visit in December, and their coaches — I think they’re the best there is. They care about you as a person and as a student.

“I talked with some of the other recruits, and you could tell there’s already a special bond.”
          From Tyler's Coach
          “I talked to their coaches — it’s a perfect fit for him,” Olson said. “It’s going to seem like a great big high school. That place is going to be awesome for him.”
          Wow! Kind of makes a guy miss it a lot.
          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
          -Leo Rosten

Comment

Have the recruit videos been posted anywhere yet?

Comment

What is the deal with UNL? I read that they have invited somewhere near 140 kids to participate.... between 40 and 60 walk-ons.... Man I think that has put the nail in the coffin for big red fans... "there nuts" plain and simple...... I think SDSU and other area D-I FCS schools will pick up some transfers after they realize what being a walk-on is and after they realize that most of them probably won't suit up yet play there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                Have the recruit videos been posted anywhere yet?
                I've been waiting for those to pop up on YouTube... I believe Terry said they are currently on Jackrabbit Extra....?

Comment

Joe...I completely agree with your post!

IMO what the coaches and Tom Osborne are telling kids to come there and walk on is boardline wrong as far as ethics. Only in Nebraska would giving up a full ride and probably playing for at least 2 or 3 years, and instead walking on, paying full price and never play or maybe play 1 year make sense to anyone.

SDSU is sitting in a great spot to pick off a bunch of these transfers, considering they don't have to sit out a year. Especially the ones Stig and boys have already recruited. They will remember them and I can't wait to chuckle when kids figure out just how much BS was tossed their way every year on Feb. 06th from Osborne and Bo.

Go Jacks!!
                  SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Plus, the kids that transfer to SDSU will have a chance to get redemption on the Huskers in 2010!! Now that's icing on the cake.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                      I can guarantee that the football coaches are fans of the JG program as well. That extra thousand dollars, that doesn't come from their budget, can come in extra handy when they are trying to split up the 63 scholarships they are allowed.
                      I think this is in error. From what I understand, the Jackrabbit Guarantee is just that, a gaurantee that the qualified student will get a minimum of $1000 in scholarships from SDSU. If he/she gets a $500 talent scholarship, the Jackrabbit Guarantee will fill in the other $500. If he/she gets $1000 in talent scholarships the Jackrabbit Guarantee is already met and the JG does not have to further fund that student's scholarship. Thus, if a student athlete is awarded $1000 or greater in athletic scholarships, no Jackrabbit Guarantee money will go to that student because the athletic scholarship is paid first.

Secondly, the Deans of the various Colleges are expected to participate heavily in fundraising to pay the Jackrabbit Guarantee for their respective students. If you are an SDSU alumnus you are probably familiar with the fundraising phone calls placed at your Dean's directive. Even the coaches of non-scholarship athletes are probably expected to make some effort to raise Jackrabbit Guarantee funds.

SDSU's Jackrabbit Guarantee was a huge success when it was first announced. It is now a smaller guarantee than USD's Promise Scholarship or NSU's Wolf Pact scholarship. Expect the solicitation calls and letters to heat up as SDSU has to play catch-up with the competing schools.
                      Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Rabbit View Post
                        I've been waiting for those to pop up on YouTube... I believe Terry said they are currently on Jackrabbit Extra....?

They aren't on Jackrabbit Extra yet.
                        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                          Thus, if a student athlete is awarded $1000 or greater in athletic scholarships, no Jackrabbit Guarantee money will go to that student because the athletic scholarship is paid first.
                          You are wrong here. At SDSU, academic scholarships awarded to student athletes are in addition to their athletic schloarships. I know that it isn't necessarily that way at every college but that is the way it is here. If I had source to cite I would...you'll have to trust me on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                            I think this is in error. From what I understand, the Jackrabbit Guarantee is just that, a gaurantee that the qualified student will get a minimum of $1000 in scholarships from SDSU. If he/she gets a $500 talent scholarship, the Jackrabbit Guarantee will fill in the other $500. If he/she gets $1000 in talent scholarships the Jackrabbit Guarantee is already met and the JG does not have to further fund that student's scholarship. Thus, if a student athlete is awarded $1000 or greater in athletic scholarships, no Jackrabbit Guarantee money will go to that student because the athletic scholarship is paid first.
                            You are correct about academic scholarships and the payout method for the JG (I know from personal experience there). Not sure how the athletic scholarship affects the JG...

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                              You are wrong here. At SDSU, academic scholarships awarded to student athletes are in addition to their athletic schloarships. I know that it isn't necessarily that way at every college but that is the way it is here. If I had source to cite I would...you'll have to trust me on this one.
                              I believe the Jackrabbit Guarantee, guarantees $1000 to all students meeting this criteria. If the student is receiving $1000 dollars (or more) from somewhere else, they won't get the $1000 from the Jackrabbit Guarantee pot.

For example a student gets a $2,000 academic scholarship from his/her college (ie engineering, arts & sciences, etc.) This student also meets the requirements for the JG....this student would only receive the $2,000 not the extra $1,000 from the JG.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                                I believe the Jackrabbit Guarantee, guarantees $1000 to all students meeting this criteria. If the student is receiving $1000 dollars (or more) from somewhere else, they won't get the $1000 from the Jackrabbit Guarantee pot.

For example a student gets a $2,000 academic scholarship from his/her college (ie engineering, arts & sciences, etc.) This student also meets the requirements for the JG....this student would only receive the $2,000 not the extra $1,000 from the JG.
                                The above description is accurate insofar as academic scholarships are concerned. Some of the posters inquired about the relationship between the academics scholarship (and the JG) and athletic scholarship. If we use the same student example given by MontanaRabbit but add the fact she is a track athlete and is awarded a $2,000 scholarship for track, the athletic money is in addition to the academic money.

What happens if a star athlete is a star student? [E.g. Courtney Grimsrud has been a four-year standout in women's basketball and is also a Brigg's Scholar (I understand she's a 4.0 pre-med major).] The Briggs Scholarship is essentially a full ride. So, would a basetkball-playing Briggs Scholar athlete's academic full ride count against the number of scholarships on the basketball team?

Comment

Working...
                                X