Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Playoffs 2016: Nova

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    Ohio State had multiple national championships, 8 undefeated seasons, and 27 conference championships before John Cooper became their head coach.

SDSU had... nothing before Stig. I am stunned by how many fans forget that.

Comparing our situation with Coach Stig and John Cooper is silly.
    I personally think this is a poor way of determining how successful the program really is. "Things could be worse so be careful what you wish for....." That doesn't win you a championship.

We did win a share of the conference title and make the quarterfinals. I think SDSU has the better team but circumstances have been against the Jacks year after year. Who gets the blame? The coaching staff for sure. Doesn't mean they shouldn't get credit for what has been accomplished but a lot of us believe it should be better.

I don't want to see Stig go. I do want to see better in game coaching and adjustments, I think that's a huge weakness for Stig and his staff. But what the hell do I know? Not much about coaching college FB for sure. I do know that NDSU owns Stig and SDSU just like the own everyone else in FCS and FBS for that matter. I hate to even think it but maybe they're just that much better.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
      I personally think this is a poor way of determining how successful the program really is. "Things could be worse so be careful what you wish for....." That doesn't win you a championship.
      While you didn't respond to my post, it seems you have mischaracterized what's possibly being said about OSU. "Be careful who you fire/force to resign, because the successor may result in your program vacating wins and that coach being subject to 'show-cause' restrictions" seems more apt.

If Stig were to be fired after this season, I'd bet his replacement would demand concessions to justify taking over a program that axed the coach after its most successful season.

Let's see what happens next season.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
        While you didn't respond to my post, it seems you have mischaracterized what's possibly being said about OSU. "Be careful who you fire/force to resign, because the successor may result in your program vacating wins and that coach being subject to 'show-cause' restrictions" seems more apt.

If Stig were to be fired after this season, I'd bet his replacement would demand concessions to justify taking over a program that axed the coach after its most successful season.

Let's see what happens next season.
        Stig isn't getting axed and I certainly don't think he should be. I don't like the argument that things could be worse. Things are great, unprecedented success.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

No Stig isn't getting axed nor should he be.

That said, the coaching staff seems to have been the weakest link in our program for some years now. I don't see any improvement in them, and more likely regression. It's like they lose their heads and forget who they are when the playoffs come around. That is damn frustrating. Golly gee, holy nutmeg, I don't see a lot of fire under anyone's ass inside DJD. Games are decided by touchdowns, not by who loves each other the most.

Comment

Stig isn't getting axed and I certainly don't think he should be. I don't like the argument that things could be worse. Things are great, unprecedented success.
            That's not what I'm saying. What I'm suggesting is that the person willing to take over may be an ethically-suspect coach a la Tressel. Shady circumstances seem to follow him -- consider what's allegedly happening at Youngstown, where he's president.

I'm fine with Sell/Admin. establishing parameters/metrics that Stig and his staff must meet next season, but I think it's unwise to suggest a change now (and I realize you haven't necessarily done so)

Comment

Why would this NDSU team be considered the "most beatable" in years?

They were undefeated outside of the game against us, which they lost with 1 second on the clock, and beat multiple ranked teams and B10 Iowa.

Comment

We did win a share of the conference title and make the quarterfinals. I think SDSU has the better team but circumstances have been against the Jacks year after year. Who gets the blame? The coaching staff for sure. Doesn't mean they shouldn't get credit for what has been accomplished but a lot of us believe it should be better.

I don't want to see Stig go. I do want to see better in game coaching and adjustments, I think that's a huge weakness for Stig and his staff. But what the hell do I know? Not much about coaching college FB for sure. I do know that NDSU owns Stig and SDSU just like the own everyone else in FCS and FBS for that matter. I hate to even think it but maybe they're just that much better.
                I'm not saying things could be worse. I'm saying how stunning it is that so many fans seem to forget that things were actually pretty awful.

Also, it is silly to compare Stig with Cooper. Completely different situations.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                  Why would this NDSU team be considered the "most beatable" in years?

They were undefeated outside of the game against us, which they lost with 1 second on the clock, and beat multiple ranked teams and B10 Iowa.
                  Maybe because last year's second overall NFL pick finally graduated? They were also missing some key pieces on defense. I'd like to point out that they didn't have to use that as an excuse. How many times have we used injuries as an excuse?

I'm with you though. Not sure they are any more "beatable". This NDSU team is very good. Are they 26 points better? I don't think they are.

That being said, I still feel we were stumbling going into the playoffs. Look at the USD game and the Nova game. We were less than great in both. Even the UNI game was much much closer than the final score. We just weren't sharp and a lot of that has to do with TC. He was shell of how great he was early. He missed a ton of throws late in the season.

Comment

Originally posted by BrerRabbit View Post
                    No Stig isn't getting axed nor should he be.

That said, the coaching staff seems to have been the weakest link in our program for some years now. I don't see any improvement in them, and more likely regression. It's like they lose their heads and forget who they are when the playoffs come around. That is damn frustrating. Golly gee, holy nutmeg, I don't see a lot of fire under anyone's ass inside DJD. Games are decided by touchdowns, not by who loves each other the most.
                    I'm not familiar enough with the direct role the entire staff plays in recruiting, but the caliber of athletes has increased, and the record and playoff standings have improved. I completely agree that some playcalling leaves me baffled, but heck that happens at all levels. Again, if Stig or anyone on the staff is demonstrably complacent, then I can understand wanting to make a change. Regarding "fire," he sure seemed intense during the first game against the Bison.

Comment

You know what big advantage NDSU has over SDSU? $$$ Coach Stig started the Difference Maker's Club to fund one extra coach. Our coaching staff is near the bottom in coaching salaries in FCS and until this year was limited to 1 year deals (laughable). New businesses in Fargo are told "you shall be a donor to NDSU football". Their fans and their booster clubs pays for the right to be arrogant and it absolutely helps with having a successful program. Our fans bitch about not going to a playoff game because the tickets are too expensive.

For what it's worth, I'm not arguing "it could always be worse" against anyone suggesting Coach Stig suddenly isn't the guy to run the program. I'm asking, what magical coach is out there waiting to come into SDSU with a coaching philosophy and system guaranteed to win the National Championship? Last I checked, all but 16 teams in the country would be thrilled with SDSU's results this year and they're all still looking for the guy with the magical plans. We have 3 of the best offensive players in the history of the school currently playing football for SDSU. The QB was heavily recruited by NDSU and he chose SDSU because of Coach Stig and Coach Eidsness. We were the only school to offer Weineke and the only school to offer Goedtert a preferred-walk-on spot.

First Coach Stig had to go because he couldn't get into the playoffs. Then it was that we couldn't win in the playoffs. Then it was that he can't win recruiting battles with NDSU. Then it was that we couldn't get a first round bye. Then we couldn't get to the quarter finals. Now, after a year where we had the MOST SUCCESSFUL TEAM IN SCHOOL HISTORY, it's not enough.

The funny thing is, if the NCAA committee hadn't screwed us by shipping us off to 5-time-defending-champ NDSU most of our previous years in the playoffs, who knows how far we could have gone? I'm sure that's Stig's fault, too. Last I checked, every team unlucky enough to run into NDSU in the playoffs in the last 5 years have lost. But our football team underperforms simply because we lost to them earlier than everyone else solely because of the NCAA's regional seeding?

One last thing. Ask the guy who donated several millions of dollars to build a new stadium what he thinks about Coach Stig. Think he would have forked over that kind of money for a team mired in the 7-4 and 6-5 teams that SDSU used to produce? Anyone feel that maybe, just maybe, the success Coach Stig has produced had a part in that? The plans for a new stadium have been promised to players since I was recruited in 1992. Jake Hines, who regularly posts on here, was promised "a shiny new stadium by your sophomore year". Coach Daly had a scale model of it on his desk for years. But, it's probably just a coincidence that someone finally paid for it right around the time our team rattles off 5 playoff teams in a row.

Now I remember why I stopped coming to this board. The times of having rational discussions about upcoming games and what areas we need to improve on are long gone. Now, it's all troll-baiting and what-have-you-done-for-me-lately. No thanks.
                      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Milwaukee you are still good guy, and you said what needed to be said. A big thank and in Norwegian, Tusen Takk or in English a thousand thank you's. Rep pts given.
                        Last edited by Nidaros; 12-13-2016, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Maybe you guys are right. I think you're onto something.
                          I think I'll reduce my emotional and financial investment in this program and just watch it go where it goes.
                          Those of you who are so inclined seem by far the happiest. Here's to mediocrity!

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                            ... Now I remember why I stopped coming to this board. The times of having rational discussions about upcoming games and what areas we need to improve on are long gone. Now, it's all troll-baiting and what-have-you-done-for-me-lately. No thanks.
                            Excellent points, MJA.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by BrerRabbit View Post
                              Maybe you guys are right. I think you're onto something.
                              I think I'll reduce my emotional and financial investment in this program and just watch it go where it goes.
                              Those of you who are so inclined seem by far the happiest. Here's to mediocrity!
                              Hey now. Don't go reducing any financial investment. You could up it and reduce the emotional investment and see if that works....

ETA: I'm not one to talk about reducing emotional investment. Many people think my level of emotional investment is over the top, but I'm good with it.
                              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Ha good one. People think that of me also, just look at the posts here. 8-3 and a trip to the playoffs is good enough for everyone but me apparently.
                                After all, Stig's got this, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X