Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: @ Illinois State 2016

Originally posted by Jackpoppa View Post
    Kids lost a ballgame, Relax! This program is developing, and need I remind you all that there are a ton of underclassmen on this team. National Championships are special and require talent, chemistry and maturity. This team has 2 of 3 and loss's like this will continue to develop maturity. Many on this chat have no idea of the stress these kids are under. I know for a fact that many spend Sundays late into the evening catching up on homework so that they are in position to spend 30 hours the next week getting ready to play the next game. Hearing that Division 1 athletes played with no effort or heart is ridiculous. Before you question their motivation and heart, think about the 1000's of hours spent by these kids to get to this level of athletics. Be disappointed in the loss, be critical of play calls and execution, but don't question their desire to win.
    Best post on this thread. Maybe the whole forum.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackpoppa View Post
      Kids lost a ballgame, Relax! This program is developing, and need I remind you all that there are a ton of underclassmen on this team. National Championships are special and require talent, chemistry and maturity. This team has 2 of 3 and loss's like this will continue to develop maturity. Many on this chat have no idea of the stress these kids are under. I know for a fact that many spend Sundays late into the evening catching up on homework so that they are in position to spend 30 hours the next week getting ready to play the next game. Hearing that Division 1 athletes played with no effort or heart is ridiculous. Before you question their motivation and heart, think about the 1000's of hours spent by these kids to get to this level of athletics. Be disappointed in the loss, be critical of play calls and execution, but don't question their desire to win.
      Excellent take, it is good to hear a poppa's take on this thread. I feel real bad for team. They had no intention of losing. Those that demand perfection also have been known to lay .a few eggs along the way.
      we re-group this Saturday,

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
        I have a nagging feeling TC is experiencing a little bit of the Culpepper effect. Receivers like Weineke (Randy Moss) and Goedert (Chris Carter) provide a statistical bump that creates an illusion of ability that is higher than reality.
        Come on man... he has good receivers, but he's putting the ball where it needs to be when it needs to be there. Not to mention his contributions to the running game.

Comment

A few facts after reading a lot of ranting (as usual...like we don't have the desire to win a conference title or a NC, when we lose a game that everybody else thinks we should have won):
          1. We are carrying $40 million in bonds on the Stadium project and that requires prices (tickets, donation, etc) to pay the interest and bond repayment every year. (Remember, private donations in the amount of $32 million were required for the SJAC. It's hard to get another $40 million from donors in place of paying for that $40 million in bonding!) Don't participate in that process if you don't think you are getting your money's worth.

2. The MVFC is the toughest FCS conference in the nation...hands down. That means every week in conference season is a tough one.

3. Every road win is a big win no matter which team we are playing, because of the strength of the conference. And every road win you expect and don't get is just a good lesson on how good our NDSU and SIU wins were. I don't care how anybody feels about a team they believe "we should beat", it doesn't always go that way. I worried more about this game than any we have on the schedule. They may be a team we should beat, but even "those" teams can be tough at home.

4. We were there and it was gut-wrenching! Everything that could go one way or the other -- always seemed to go the "wrong" way. Extremely disappointing. Reality is we obviously need to win the next three games. I sincerely hope this team can put things back together along with everybody else. Part of the problem IMHO, is the win at NDSU put a whole bunch of people believing we were destined to be NC, while the Cal Poly game, and tough MVFC games have put a more realistic label on this season. There isn't an easy game on the schedule.

Comment

Stig wants a crowd in the new stadium and quite sure the university does as well. Winning and be a top team will fill the stadium. Going 7-4 will not fill the stadium. Saturday at ISU had approx 7500 attendance. Two years ago when they had a championship caliber team the stadium was full. Saturday it was less then half full. This is true in any program. You want crowds, you need a playoff run and not just 7-4 seasons.
            Last edited by Hareofthedog; 11-01-2016, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
              Stig wants a crowd in the new stadium and quite sure the university does as well. Winning and be a top team will fill the stadium. Going 7-4 will not fill the stadium. Saturday at ISU had approx 7500 attendance. Two years ago when they had a championship caliber team the stadium was full. Saturday it was led then half full. This is true in any program. You want crowds,you need a playoff run and not just 7-4 seasons.
              I think our fans are different from ISUr fans where if we get to the point where we start filling the place regularly it won't become barren in one season. But we do need to do more than what we have been to get to that point in the first place.
              Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
                Stig wants a crowd in the new stadium and quite sure the university does as well. Winning and be a top team will fill the stadium. Going 7-4 will not fill the stadium. Saturday at ISU had approx 7500 attendance. Two years ago when they had a championship caliber team the stadium was full. Saturday it was led then half full. This is true in any program. You want crowds,you need a playoff run and not just 7-4 seasons.
                What Stig wants and traditional attendance trends are two very different considerations. Hobo day has come and went. We don't have any more promotions except dairy so I expect a drop off in attendance Saturday.

Comment

If you do a bit of quick math, there appears to be a trend the past 2 years. That trend is an increase in attendance for home football games for the Jackrabbits. Prior to 2015, the average attendance was over 10,000. In 2015, the attendance moved to 12,899 for an 8-4 team. In 2016, the home games are averaged at 15,986. It will take only 14,450(7,225/game) fans in the last 2 games to average the 2015 attendance of 12,899. The weather for the last 2 games may be well above average temperature. The odds of setting another greater attendance level for this year are very good. This is a good trend line. If the temperature is in the 50's for the yote game, there ought to be a very good turnout. I would give the season a passing grade for attendance in the new stadium.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                    If you do a bit of quick math, there appears to be a trend the past 2 years. That trend is an increase in attendance for home football games for the Jackrabbits. Prior to 2015, the average attendance was over 10,000. In 2015, the attendance moved to 12,899 for an 8-4 team. In 2016, the home games are averaged at 15,986. It will take only 14,450(7,225/game) fans in the last 2 games to average the 2015 attendance of 12,899. The weather for the last 2 games may be well above average temperature. The odds of setting another greater attendance level for this year are very good. This is a good trend line. If the temperature is in the 50's for the yote game, there ought to be a very good turnout. I would give the season a passing grade for attendance in the new stadium.
                    Frankly the USD game should be a record setter, They should bring a few thousand fans I would hope, but might depend on weather and also the teams record. if both are fighting for a playoff spot which seems like a possibility then it should be a great turn out.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I was waiting for video of Wieneke's catch to come out, but I went to look at the WatchESPN replay, and I still can't believe it wasn't called a TD upon review.

The other play we got screwed on was the ineligible man downfield call earlier in the game (Go to 1:20 in the video below). Just bad officiating imo. Anyone know if this call is reviewable? Seems like it should be, but I don't know if it is.

Comment

Couldn't watch the game this weekend because I was sheet-rocking my garage but listened to it on the radio. I've read all the things about how bad of a missed call Wieneke's TD was but never saw a picture or replay. Just watched the replay and WOW. There are no words to explain how bad of a call that was. I don't get how you get it wrong live but then to not overturn it with replay is ridiculous. What is the point of having replay if you are still going to get the calls wrong. There is a huge difference between being tied and being down by one score at that point in the game. I wonder what the refs told stig about why it stood as called.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                          I was waiting for video of Wieneke's catch to come out, but I went to look at the WatchESPN replay, and I still can't believe it wasn't called a TD upon review.

The other play we got screwed on was the ineligible man downfield call earlier in the game (Go to 1:20 in the video below). Just bad officiating imo. Anyone know if this call is reviewable? Seems like it should be, but I don't know if it is.

That is frustrating to see. They called it on 73 Clark, but he was right on the line of scrimmage when the pass was caught. Our left guard looked like he might have been a yard past the line of scrimmage but don't think that constitutes a penalty. I'm pretty sure that lineman get 3 yards that they are allowed past the line of scrimmage before its ineligible downfield. Maybe someone with more rules knowledge can chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
                            That is frustrating to see. They called it on 73 Clark, but he was right on the line of scrimmage when the pass was caught. Our left guard looked like he might have been a yard past the line of scrimmage but don't think that constitutes a penalty. I'm pretty sure that lineman get 3 yards that they are allowed past the line of scrimmage before its ineligible downfield. Maybe someone with more rules knowledge can chime in.
                            I found out that the rule is based on when the ball is thrown, which in that case it is a completely terrible call, as they were at or behind the line of scrimmage at that point and nowhere near 3 yards downfield.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post

I wasn't able to actually watch the game and see all the replay angles available, but from the angle captured here, if it was ruled out of bounds, they can't overturn it because you can't see the back side of Jake's foot. Inconclusive whether the is in or out. Now, you and I and everyone here knows that he doesn't have 24" long feet, so it's impossible that it could be out based on that still, but even so, you can't see the back of his foot so the call had to stand. If you could see from other angles that the back side of his foot was in and they still called him out, then yeah, that's pretty bogus.

The ineligible downfield call was quite terrible. None of the three were past the LOS when the ball was thrown. *edit* Reading the rules book (page fr-79), the ineligible receiver can't be beyond 3 yards from neutral zone when the ball crosses the neutral zone. this clarifications makes that play a much closer call as well. The one Jack lineman is at two yards beyond when the ball crosses...pretty much a judgment call by the official. Yes, looking at the replay and stopping the video, one can easily tell it was the wrong call, but I can understand how he called it at game speed.

Last edited by RowdyRabbit; 11-01-2016, 12:13 PM.
                              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                                I wasn't able to actually watch the game and see all the replay angles available, but from the angle captured here, if it was ruled out of bounds, they can't overturn it because you can't see the back side of Jake's foot. Inconclusive whether the is in or out. Now, you and I and everyone here knows that he doesn't have 24" long feet, so it's impossible that it could be out based on that still, but even so, you can't see the back of his foot so the call had to stand. If you could see from other angles that the back side of his foot was in and they still called him out, then yeah, that's pretty bogus.

The ineligible downfield call was quite terrible. None of the three were past the LOS when the ball was thrown.
                                Same here, would need other angles to see for sure that he was in. this angle sure looks like it but agree with you, need one more angle to help prove to overturn the call. Sadly if they called it a tough down they probably would not have been able to reverse the call either and probably would have stayed a touchdown. Also for the Video, all the lineman were on the LOS when the ball was thrown, I wonder if they called it because Goedert was behind them? If that's the case every swing pass or dump off pass would have lineman in front of where the person was catching the ball. Hope SDSU and stig are talking to the league office about getting some explanations for the calls.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X