Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: @ Illinois State 2016

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
    From a historical standpoint, the last time we won a legitimate conference title we were South Dakota State College and John Kennedy was the President of the United States (9 Presidents ago). The year was 1963. So please forgive some of us old codgers who have been longtime donors and season ticket holders who get excited thinking "This might be our year" only to have mistakes and errors of judgment dampen our spirits and cause us to get a little testy. I'd just like to see a conference championship before I die.
    Was 2007 not legitimate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
      Was 2007 not legitimate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      In a word...no.
      "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
        From a historical standpoint, the last time we won a legitimate conference title we were South Dakota State College and John Kennedy was the President of the United States (9 Presidents ago). The year was 1963. So please forgive some of us old codgers who have been longtime donors and season ticket holders who get excited thinking "This might be our year" only to have mistakes and errors of judgment dampen our spirits and cause us to get a little testy. I'd just like to see a conference championship before I die.
        Yes my recollection of 1963 is very vivid. Days after winning the NCC, with a 9-1 record, President Kennedy was assassinated.
        As far as the Great West deal in 2007, I don't think we even got a plaque in recognition. Yes this old codger would like to see a championship before I check out. Patience, needs to rule here. I think its unfair to question leadership in either the squad or the coaches. We all know how to lay an egg.

Long time ago in fact the first year Coach Stig was head coach, I sent him a scathing letter about a game we were leading and later lost. I said something to the affect that our defense went south with Coach Daly. A few days later, Coach Stig send me a rebuttal, which he reminded me that his program may or may not be as successful as Coach Daly, but he said that they would play every game by the rules and do everything right. That is how its been since 1996. Hardware will be earned and deserved.
        Last edited by Nidaros; 10-31-2016, 05:58 AM.

Comment

So disappointing. IMO, we were flat and played with no heart. After the Weineke no-TD call, it seemed like we gave up completely.

I'm not going back to read the whole thread as I don't want to relive that game. If there is a replay of Weineke's endzone catch that was called out of bounds, I would appreciate a repost.

I have a sick feeling that we are going to watch the careers of 2 more once-in-a-lifetime talents greats (Weineke, Goedert) without making any real noise in the playoffs.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

The 4th and 1 play calling should be Qb under center, read the defense and run straight ahead left or right. The Qb in the shotgun running on 4th and 1 means a run of five or six yards to pick up the one yard. An athletic Qb should make this one yard 9 out of 10 times under center.

TC needs to stop reading the news on him and work harder on the passing game. Yes his numbers are good but the last two games he has struggled. Late throws, high throws, behind receivers, double coverage, weak sideline pass velocity. TC comments about "just throwing it close" to Weineke and Goedert and they will get it is not being a top rated Qb. Throw the ball with some zip to the receivers, not float it in there or the dreaded jump ball. how about giving 80, 11 and 10 more plays instead of 18. They can separate from the defenders and 18 struggles game after game.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
              The 4th and 1 play calling should be Qb under center, read the defense and run straight ahead left or right. The Qb in the shotgun running on 4th and 1 means a run of five or six yards to pick up the one yard. An athletic Qb should make this one yard 9 out of 10 times under center.

TC needs to stop reading the news on him and work harder on the passing game. Yes his numbers are good but the last two games he has struggled. Late throws, high throws, behind receivers, double coverage, weak sideline pass velocity. TC comments about "just throwing it close" to Weineke and Goedert and they will get it is not being a top rated Qb. Throw the ball with some zip to the receivers, not float it in there or the dreaded jump ball. how about giving 80, 11 and 10 more plays instead of 18. They can separate from the defenders and 18 struggles game after game.
              Newsflash, we are still running wildcat. We just happen to be using TC instead of a RB in that spot.

I have a nagging feeling TC is experiencing a little bit of the Culpepper effect. Receivers like Weineke (Randy Moss) and Goedert (Chris Carter) provide a statistical bump that creates an illusion of ability that is higher than reality.

One thing I'm getting a little tired of is 1 hand catch attempts in situations where 2 hands should be used. IIRC, there were several of these in the 1st half. If you have to catch with 1 hand, go for it. If you can get 2 hands on the ball, do that. Probably wouldn't have changed the outcome, but sound fundamentals are always a good thing over the long run.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                Newsflash, we are still running wildcat. We just happen to be using TC instead of a RB in that spot.

I have a nagging feeling TC is experiencing a little bit of the Culpepper effect. Receivers like Weineke (Randy Moss) and Goedert (Chris Carter) provide a statistical bump that creates an illusion of ability that is higher than reality.

One thing I'm getting a little tired of is 1 hand catch attempts in situations where 2 hands should be used. IIRC, there were several of these in the 1st half. If you have to catch with 1 hand, go for it. If you can get 2 hands on the ball, do that. Probably wouldn't have changed the outcome, but sound fundamentals are always a good thing over the long run.
                Anderson and Wilde have had a couple key receptions in recent games, although I agree that distribution could be improved. During the pre-game, Tyler and Mike Struck discussed the turf being harder than at the Dana (they mentioned that Jeff Holm suggested this could be because the facilities management crew at ISU did not rake the field as often). Do you think some of Christion's inaccuracy could be due to the fact that his ankle might still be ailing him, it was more painful to push off on harder turf, and his accuracy suffered?

I agree that I hope Christion does not get complacent with accuracy due to his primary receivers' skill, and I do not think his work ethic and the coaches will allow that.

As for the Culpepper comparison, he also had Robert Smith giving defenses another offensive weapon to consider. Hopefully the next few games allow the Jacks to find their Smith; I noticed Mikey Daniel in the game late. I think a rotation with him and Wallace with Mengarelli as a slot receiver along with Wieneke and Goedert could be very dangerous.

Comment

SDSU needs a RB like #13 that burned the defense on runs to the wide side right. Find some recruit or transfer with speed to compliment this offense for next year.

Comment

So disappointing. IMO, we were flat and played with no heart. After the Weineke no-TD call, it seemed like we gave up completely.

I'm not going back to read the whole thread as I don't want to relive that game. If there is a replay of Weineke's endzone catch that was called out of bounds, I would appreciate a repost.

I have a sick feeling that we are going to watch the careers of 2 more once-in-a-lifetime talents greats (Weineke, Goedert) without making any real noise in the playoffs.
                    It's like the players start drinking their own koolaid after we rattle off a couple wins in a row. It's almost predictable. If someone doesn't agree they aren't paying attention.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                      It's like the players start drinking their own koolaid after we rattle off a couple wins in a row. It's almost predictable. If someone doesn't agree they aren't paying attention.
                      While I agree, this could be said of almost any college football (or basketball, baseball, volleyball, etc) team. Professional too, for that matter. Its the coaches job to make sure it doesn't happen, but its easier said than done.

Disappointing and frustrating.

Comment

I am being picky: Weinke is spelled Wienke. I before E. This not news.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          I am being picky: Weinke is spelled Wienke. I before E. This not news.
                          Oops Wieneke My spelling sucks too!

Comment

Agree. Saturday can't get here soon enough.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Kids lost a ballgame, Relax! This program is developing, and need I remind you all that there are a ton of underclassmen on this team. National Championships are special and require talent, chemistry and maturity. This team has 2 of 3 and loss's like this will continue to develop maturity. Many on this chat have no idea of the stress these kids are under. I know for a fact that many spend Sundays late into the evening catching up on homework so that they are in position to spend 30 hours the next week getting ready to play the next game. Hearing that Division 1 athletes played with no effort or heart is ridiculous. Before you question their motivation and heart, think about the 1000's of hours spent by these kids to get to this level of athletics. Be disappointed in the loss, be critical of play calls and execution, but don't question their desire to win.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackpoppa View Post
                                Kids lost a ballgame, Relax! This program is developing, and need I remind you all that there are a ton of underclassmen on this team. National Championships are special and require talent, chemistry and maturity. This team has 2 of 3 and loss's like this will continue to develop maturity. Many on this chat have no idea of the stress these kids are under. I know for a fact that many spend Sundays late into the evening catching up on homework so that they are in position to spend 30 hours the next week getting ready to play the next game. Hearing that Division 1 athletes played with no effort or heart is ridiculous. Before you question their motivation and heart, think about the 1000's of hours spent by these kids to get to this level of athletics. Be disappointed in the loss, be critical of play calls and execution, but don't question their desire to win.

Very good first post.

Comment

Working...
                                X