Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Taking the next step

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
    Joe Glenn won back to back National Championships. He's available. He always picked up re-treads from Colorado and Colorado St and is a proven winner. I say we hire him. Can't get to the next level with Stig. That is proven. Let's totally discount and/or ignore the facts that the school is enjoying the greatest cumulative sports success in the history of the university. And the football team has been leading the charge since we transitioned to D1. The same football team that, prior to the transition, was always the least favorite sibling of the big three children (falling far the behind men's hoops and women's hoops teams). The same football team that has just finished building one of the best FCS football facilities in the country, is on a multi-year run of making the playoffs, is consistently ranked as one of the top 15 teams in the country, and seen unprecedented growth in both interest and donations. Quick stat. If you add up the two largest home game attendance figures from the era when I played (94-98) you would just barely have a number higher than last week's "disappointing" attendance figure. I come back for football games and am gobsmacked by the amount of people walking around with SDSU gear on in the Sioux Falls area. But, yeah, it's time to consider a change in coaches. By the way, our current coach commands a salary which is less than even the most wet-behind-the-ears replacement we'd ever hope to come in with that sought-after swag and risk-taking attitude. Have there been times when we have been out-coached in games? Certainly. Stig would be the first to admit that. You find me a coach who wouldn't admit to that and I'll show you someone who is either a narcissist or a liar (or both).

Listen, I get that it's healthy to always strive for greater success and to reach the next step and question whether there are areas where we can get better. I also get that there have been times in Stig's tenure that his coaching ability could be and were questioned. But, a discussion that questions whether he can currently take us to the next level because he's not knocking on dorm room doors or blowing up social media, is more than a little silly. The fact is Stig has built the program to unprecedented heights and has done it the right way. If anyone watched the celebration and end-game speech he gave the players after the Western Ill game where he said "I'm proud of you, but I love you more than I'm proud of you" and don't understand what that means to the players, then any further conversation is pointless.
    As I am sure you recall, Joe Glenn got fired from Wyoming and walked away with enough cash to buy a retirement home in Ariz.
    I have no problems whatsoever with Stig. He has the most wins in SDSU history. He should be allowed end his career on his own terms.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 10-05-2016, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
      No it's no. There are over 230,000 people in the Fargo metro that have to drive 15 minutes to the Fargodome for a game. There are less than 23,000 people in Brookings. Yes, the Sioux Falls metro is larger but they also have to drive an hour each way for the game.
      Agreed.
      With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Geezus this thread already has us on our,45th head Coach 5 years from now. Stop. Just stop.
        With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
          Geezus this thread already has us on our,45th head Coach 5 years from now. Stop. Just stop.
          But if I can't post in this thread do I start on the lazy basketball player or the bad tailgating situation?

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
            But if I can't post in this thread do I start on the lazy basketball player or the bad tailgating situation?
            Don't say anything bad about tailgating or Carolina010 will be all over you.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
              Meh, the thread is about the next step, and when Zimmer has said he thinks that Stig retires in a rather short time, it's fair to wonder about. I think Stig should be able to go out on his own terms, but there's no harm in wondering about after he's gone. Also, out of curiosity, what makes you so certain Eidsness would automatically get the job?
              Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              Don't say anything bad about tailgating or Carolina010 will be all over you.
              You're the one who drug that conversation into a completely unrelated thread. Not sure what your personal ax to grind against tailgating is. Like you've said before, you don't tailgate. So what's your problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

As I am sure you recall, Joe Glenn got fired from Wyoming and walked away with enough cash to buy a retirement home in Ariz.
                I have no problems whatsoever with Stig. He has the most wins in SDSU history. He should be allowed end his career on his own terms.
                The first couple of lines of my post were intended to be laced with a heavy dose of sarcasm. I tried typing those lines with the "sarcasm font" but couldn't find it in the options or settings. In the interest of full disclosure, Coach Stig is in my top 5 list of most influential and important men in my life. My shot about Coach Glenn was mainly to point out that perhaps the grass isn't always greener despite our head coach not winning any national championships, to date. Ask USD.
                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                  Meh, the thread is about the next step, and when Zimmer has said he thinks that Stig retires in a rather short time, it's fair to wonder about. I think Stig should be able to go out on his own terms, but there's no harm in wondering about after he's gone. Also, out of curiosity, what makes you so certain Eidsness would automatically get the job?

You're the one who drug that conversation into a completely unrelated thread. Not sure what your personal ax to grind against tailgating is. Like you've said before, you don't tailgate. So what's your problem?

oh geez I am missing something that is very important. And I have a problem?

Comment

I started this thread, do I have the ability to close it too?

It started with some good discussion and opinions, but some people can't handle that and take it too personally. We can go back to mundane topics where we only speak good things about SDSU sports and don't express any opinions unless they are agreeable with the masses.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                      It's hard to put the toothpaste back in the tube!
                      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

It started with some good discussion and opinions, but some people can't handle that and take it too personally. We can go back to mundane topics where we only speak good things about SDSU sports and don't express any opinions unless they are agreeable with the masses.
                        I agree with ya Cappin. If things get brought up that aren't all warm and fuzzy pertaining to our programs people get all bent out of shape rather than having a discussion which is how I took your thread. I guess it is safer to stand in place rather than take a step.

Comment

Must spread rep

Comment

[QUOTE=thumper_76;301074]Meh, the thread is about the next step, and when Zimmer has said he thinks that Stig retires in a rather short time, it's fair to wonder about. I think Stig should be able to go out on his own terms, but there's no harm in wondering about after he's gone. Also, out of curiosity, what makes you so certain Eidsness would automatically get the job?

Man really hope Eidness isn't Stigs successor, not a fan of him
                            Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

In other words, this thread needs to take the next step?

(grin, duck, run).
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

oh geez I am missing something that is very important. And I have a problem?
                                Apparently you have a problem with tailgating. If your making remarks similar to yours and commenting on it like you have when you don't participate you obviously do. And you obviously have a problem with people who call you on your crap.

Comment

Working...
                                X