• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2 QB system?

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
    sigh...

http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...race/88770370/

Can just hear it coming. "He's a senior, going to go with his leadership." "He's been loyal to the program." "He's put his time in."

The best player is the one that needs to play. I have no idea which of the two it is or will be nor do I have a dog in the hunt. With all invested into this program it just isn't acceptable to go with the senior because he's a senior. I want to hear "He earned it." "It was a spirited competition but ?????? proved he gives us the best chance to win!" "We need to have our best players on the field and he is the guy right now."

Yes, there are situations that each quarterback and their skill set are preferred. The defense also knows what those strengths are as well and will plan for them which takes away a lot of the potential effectiveness.

This team is capable of challenging for a conference and national title and putting anything less than our best foot forward at every position is a wasted opportunity. I feel that has been done in the past at times. Not acceptable any more.

SUPERBUNNY
    If they are grading out identically then you go with the senior IMHO. What are the coaches supposed to do if they are performing at the same level? Unless you just want a coach to say those phrases, which is more about not liking how the coaches present their decision than how it ended up turning out. If it was that clear cut there wouldn't be much of a battle. I was personally hoping TC had advanced enough passing that this wouldn't be much of a battle, but it's not like Lujan sat around this offseason and didn't do anything to get any better. In the end I HATE qb battles before the season because as a fan we don't have much of an idea of what they look like day to day, and in the end we get to sit around and be frustrated that no decision has been made yet. I wouldn't be surprised or too upset if we saw something similar to the end of last year up to the Cal Poly game to be honest. The TCU game we should get beat and would be a great way to test both of them against a good defense if the starter struggles, and the Drake game should be a blow out. So I don't mind if they use those games as an in season audition. Now, if it continues all season then I won't be too thrilled. But, it doesn't make sense to be mad about things that haven't happened yet.

I'm excited about this season. There seems to be a really focused and positive vibe coming out of camp. We will see if that's good or bad in a couple weeks.
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
      If they are grading out identically then you go with the senior IMHO. What are the coaches supposed to do if they are performing at the same level? Unless you just want a coach to say those phrases, which is more about not liking how the coaches present their decision than how it ended up turning out. If it was that clear cut there wouldn't be much of a battle. I was personally hoping TC had advanced enough passing that this wouldn't be much of a battle, but it's not like Lujan sat around this offseason and didn't do anything to get any better. In the end I HATE qb battles before the season because as a fan we don't have much of an idea of what they look like day to day, and in the end we get to sit around and be frustrated that no decision has been made yet. I wouldn't be surprised or too upset if we saw something similar to the end of last year up to the Cal Poly game to be honest. The TCU game we should get beat and would be a great way to test both of them against a good defense if the starter struggles, and the Drake game should be a blow out. So I don't mind if they use those games as an in season audition. Now, if it continues all season then I won't be too thrilled. But, it doesn't make sense to be mad about things that haven't happened yet.

I'm excited about this season. There seems to be a really focused and positive vibe coming out of camp. We will see if that's good or bad in a couple weeks.
      When Lujan has been 100% healthy he has been a heck of a QB. That said, I really like what TC brings to the table with his athletic ability.

I'd rather they pick one and go with him too, but I'm thankful we have a decision to make. There aren't many programs that have two quality options at the position.

Comment

If they are grading out identically then you go with the senior IMHO.
        I can see merit in both ways, but if it was up to me and they are both grading out identically, I would choose the younger player so you can potentially have a consistent starter for 3 straight years in this case. Having that is huge for the continued success of a team. If there is something holding them back from naming TC the starter over Lujan, start Lujan by all means. While this decision may not be fair to a senior, that's just the way this game goes. As a coach you would have to look out for both the short and long term success of the team.

Comment

The TCU game we should get beat and would be a great way to test both of them against a good defense if the starter struggles, and the Drake game should be a blow out. So I don't mind if they use those games as an in season audition. Now, if it continues all season then I won't be too thrilled.
          I'm with you. The "preseason" essentially runs into mid-September. I'm not worried about who is labeled as the starter between now and then. They will both be evaluated heavily in actual game situations and it is fairly likely one will be dinged up by week 3 anyway.

Comment

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the fact that the strengths of Lujan and Christion are night and day different. If Christion is named the starter are they going to design the offense around him or expect him to run the same offense Lujan would run? One would think that it's a no-brainer that the offense would be tailored to fit the QB but I'm far from confident our coaching staff would do that.

Last year Christion struggled to make reads consistently. He had a lot of room for improvement in that area. Since the competition is close I'd assume Christion is still behind in that aspect. That makes me nervous because we can't just rely on legs to win.

A perfect example would be ISUr (I think) last year. Their QB couldn't throw a lick. Dangerous as hell with his legs but he wasn't going to hurt you with his arm.

Comment

Both guys can play Qb no doubt. You have to look at this season and not think about the next two or three. Too much can happen between now and then, play for 2016. I doubt they are grading out identically in practice. That is coach speak. What Qb is mentally stronger, reads defenses better, makes smart choices, audibles correctly, throws the ball on time, sees the whole field, watches film and leads? This could separate the two QBs and should be very important to the decision. Preseason will show alot since games are much faster than practice with a whole lot more going on mentally.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the fact that the strengths of Lujan and Christion are night and day different. If Christion is named the starter are they going to design the offense around him or expect him to run the same offense Lujan would run? One would think that it's a no-brainer that the offense would be tailored to fit the QB but I'm far from confident our coaching staff would do that.

Last year Christion struggled to make reads consistently. He had a lot of room for improvement in that area. Since the competition is close I'd assume Christion is still behind in that aspect. That makes me nervous because we can't just rely on legs to win.

A perfect example would be ISUr (I think) last year. Their QB couldn't throw a lick. Dangerous as hell with his legs but he wasn't going to hurt you with his arm.
                That was basically TCs first year of football since his Jr year in highschool. A lot of true freshman will probably struggle with that. Would like to think that his reads and understanding the playbook and time practicing with JW and crew could only help him be much further along.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

This is what SDSU football does, unfortunately. Crawford to TOB, TOB to Sumner, Moss, hell, there's a strong argument that Zenner should have been playing over Kool his freshman year. And these are just at the skill positions, so we notice it more. I'm sure there are other examples at other positions that I'm not even aware of.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                    That was basically TCs first year of football since his Jr year in highschool. A lot of true freshman will probably struggle with that. Would like to think that his reads and understanding the playbook and time practicing with JW and crew could only help him be much further along.
                    Your right but there were lots and lots of people who had TC ranked just under God on the all time QB depth chart last year.

My point is unless he's likely still behind Lujan in making the right reads and correct throws because I'm certain he's way ahead in the running aspect of QBing. Where that could hurt us is in a two minute drill type scenario where we almost must throw.

I'm glad I don't have to make the decision because they both have pros and cons. In reality we will probably need both at some point this year because they've both shown they are a fragile.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                      This is what SDSU football does, unfortunately. Crawford to TOB, TOB to Sumner, Moss, hell, there's a strong argument that Zenner should have been playing over Kool his freshman year. And these are just at the skill positions, so we notice it more. I'm sure there are other examples at other positions that I'm not even aware of.
                      And is probably one of the biggest things holding us back. The best player needs to play at each position. This ain't high school football anymore we can't worry about feelings.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                        Your right but there were lots and lots of people who had TC ranked just under God on the all time QB depth chart last year.

My point is unless he's likely still behind Lujan in making the right reads and correct throws because I'm certain he's way ahead in the running aspect of QBing. Where that could hurt us is in a two minute drill type scenario where we almost must throw.

I'm glad I don't have to make the decision because they both have pros and cons. In reality we will probably need both at some point this year because they've both shown they are a fragile.
                        Absolutely. If the passing was equal between the two, it's not close. Sorry. If QB A is as good of a passer as QB B, but QB A is way more gifted athletically with being able to hurt teams with his feet, you go with A. That's not even debatable. The only logical reason there could be for the coaching staff to feel it's close is because TC isn't on the same level as Lujan when it comes to the passing game, but close enough that his athletic ability to run and hurt a defense makes it close. That's a decision I would not want to have to make.
                        Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

It might be easy for fans to see during the game who they like or think is playing well. A lot of that goes into how well people practice too. Not saying thats the reason for some of the issues we have seen. But how well players are in practice and game prep etc are a big factor. Remember the team motto of "all in", where we only see but the games on the field, their is a lot more that goes into deciding how well a player is ready and will be in a game.

An example early on TOB all we heard was he was great in the locker room, great teammate, leader, worked hard on skills and practice etc, but that didnt translate into the game. like as his career went on it got worse. But early on he did everything you could probably ask him to do. Just sometimes that doesnt translate to good play during the game.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Will it matter all that much ? Ride the hot hand if its that big of a deal that they just can't commit to one guy. Pretty sure the receivers should make both of them look good this year.

Comment

IF they in fact grade out identically is then you come out and say that the senior won the job. I have no problem with that at all. Not rooting for one or the other. Just don't like it when seniors get the start over under classmen that are playing better. We've seen that happen quite a bit. So, for me, it will all come down to how Stig addresses it. Will it be a strong endorsement for one of the two, a platoon, or wishy washy mush. Get firmly behind one and say that we have a very capable back up if need be. AND NO WILDCAT!!!!

SUPERBUNNY
                              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by discoDancinJackrabbit View Post
                                Will it matter all that much ? Ride the hot hand if its that big of a deal that they just can't commit to one guy. Pretty sure the receivers should make both of them look good this year.
                                Hopefully the O line protects them well enough to use the WRs and RBs more. If the online struggles, TC and his feet might bail them out a little bit better. But some times a young QB who feels to much pressure doesnt do well picking up his reads and gets happy feet, see TOB as another example, obviously very different abilities.......to clarify my thoughts is that I dont think TC did that bad, he would wait as long as he could before he would run. Sometimes they just get nervous and tuck it and run way too soon, he seemed pretty good and waiting till the pressure was flushing him out for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X