Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Playoffs

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    What benefit did the NCAA have to create a 4 team playoff in FBS? One could argue that it's just another money grab, but I would argue that it's what the universities and people wanted, and it provides one true champion. If you apply those two factors to the FCS playoffs and wanted to make them better because the people and universities wanted it, and it would provide one true champion, they would get rid of regionalization, seed 1-24 and watch it all unfold. Same concept.
    Except for the amount of people, the influence of those people, the money that those people have. The people behind those moves were ESPN and TV people, university presidents of universities in power 5 conferences, fans that outnumber FCS fans by millions. The comparison barely holds any weight.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
      What benefit did the NCAA have to create a 4 team playoff in FBS? One could argue that it's just another money grab, but I would argue that it's what the universities and people wanted, and it provides one true champion. If you apply those two factors to the FCS playoffs and wanted to make them better because the people and universities wanted it, and it would provide one true champion, they would get rid of regionalization, seed 1-24 and watch it all unfold. Same concept.
      The NCAA does not run the 4 team playoff in FBS.

The College Football Playoff is not an officially sanctioned championship event by the NCAA, the sport's governing body. Because of this, Division I FBS football is the only NCAA sport in which a yearly champion is not determined by an NCAA championship event and an official NCAA National Championship is not given.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Football_Playoff

Of course you would think they benefit financially though.

Comment

I haven't had a chance to weigh in (I am sure everyone was waiting): We deserve what we got. If we win UNI and Western Ill it takes care of itself. We lose games like that, we get what we deserve. Did the weather impact that game, no question it did. Our team is taking the high road and not making any excuses. But it had an impact. Now we have to win games we can win.
        As for the MVFC, totally shafted. I honestly feel our Commissioner is weak to have this happen with the strongest conference in the country. OK, they got 5 teams in, who cares if we immediately eliminate each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          I am disappointed but we did not win yesterday to get in the top 8 and maybe next year we will have a facility suitable to be a host. I thinking the Howard Field would work for this year but maybe not.
          Even with a new facility next year how can SDSU make a bid that compares to a Montana? Jacks drew 9,000 for a game vs #2 ISUr a few weeks ago with 60 degree weather. How they have ANY confidence the new stadium will be even half full? The Montana's will always outbid SDSU until the fans fill the stadium on a perfect day with the #2 team in the country coming in. I remember a crowd of about 5,000 a few years back with Eastern Illinois came in for a 1st round game. Fans have to show up in order for bids to come close to the big boys of FCS.

Comment

Originally posted by AugieJackFan View Post
            Even with a new facility next year how can SDSU make a bid that compares to a Montana? Jacks drew 9,000 for a game vs #2 ISUr a few weeks ago with 60 degree weather. How they have ANY confidence the new stadium will be even half full? The Montana's will always outbid SDSU until the fans fill the stadium on a perfect day with the #2 team in the country coming in. I remember a crowd of about 5,000 a few years back with Eastern Illinois came in for a 1st round game. Fans have to show up in order for bids to come close to the big boys of FCS.
            My guess is we don't have to out bit montana but if we make a bit closer to their level and out bid by far the rest of the teams bidding. I doubt we get shipped to montana then. Give them a reason to ship lower bids to schools with higher bids.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I'm not sure we can blame our commissioner for the biased bracket. There are 11 other conferences that participate in the playoffs and I bet, either publicly or privately, they want it just the way it turned out! We can make our strong case all day, and then someone sez, lets vote! Done deal!

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                My guess is we don't have to out bit montana but if we make a bit closer to their level and out bid by far the rest of the teams bidding. I doubt we get shipped to montana then. Give them a reason to ship lower bids to schools with higher bids.
                I have heard that the committee doesn't open bids until the pairings are set, which makes sense. So if we get paired against Montana, we would still get shipped there. It doesn't matter if we have the 2nd highest bid out of everyone in the bracket.

Comment

Maybe we could play at the AUGIE DOGGIE PLACE, its really a showcase.

Comment

Has Augie ever had a 9000 crowd? I don't think so and to poo-poo this years statistics is well just an Augustana fan jealousy.

Comment

We can complain about this bracket all we want but simple fact is we didn't win the game we needed to to change this! I think if we would of won the last game the bracket would look much different. You would of had 3 MVFC teams seeded in the top 8. Then more than likely we would have teams in each bracket. With regionalization playing a big factor in how match ups are determined it was easy to stick everybody on the same side. Time to move on and win FB games.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        Obviously you will get outbid by the Montana schools, but in 2013 SDSU got outbid by Northern Arizona. That one doesn't make sense

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                          We can complain about this bracket all we want but simple fact is we didn't win the game we needed to to change this! I think if we would of won the last game the bracket would look much different. You would of had 3 MVFC teams seeded in the top 8. Then more than likely we would have teams in each bracket. With regionalization playing a big factor in how match ups are determined it was easy to stick everybody on the same side. Time to move on and win FB games.
                          QFT

I knew that the WIU lose ended the bye bid. I am disappointed that the Jacks have to travel. I don't like the fact that home team is determined on bids, but the NCAA is a business first.
                          Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                          -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by scbison View Post
                            Obviously you will get outbid by the Montana schools, but in 2013 SDSU got outbid by Northern Arizona. That one doesn't make sense
                            Perhaps attendance the prior year vs Eastern Illinois playoff game had something to do with that. Attendance of 4367. How can SDSU outbid anyone with attendance like that?

Comment

Perhaps attendance the prior year vs Eastern Illinois playoff game had something to do with that. Attendance of 4367. How can SDSU outbid anyone with attendance like that?
                              Oh sure they really remember things like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                                Oh sure they really remember things like this.
                                lol I'm guessing sarcasm? Because I would hope prior attendance for playoff games would go into determining how much SDSU would bid for future year playoff games. I hope. lol

Comment

Working...
                                X