Hobo day 2015 "THE THREAD"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hobo day "THE THREAD"

Ah. You don't know, off the top of your head. Did you know that the incidence rate of prostate cancer was somewhat higher than that of female breast cancer, and that the death rates of the two cancers were almost equal?

And yet pink for "breast cancer awareness" is everywhere, and whatever the heck the color is for prostate cancer awareness is nowhere to be seen, and nobody even knows what it is.

I hop off the soapbox, recognizing that I'm way, way, way off topic, and for this I denounce myself.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

One last post about the UNI game. I don't know if this was brought up or not, but I have heard a lot of local talk about how dumb of a play call it was to go for it on 4th down instead of kick for the tie. Say that our coaches had decided to kick the field goal instead of go for it, and Carlson misses the field goal. The same people that criticized the decision to go for it would have said how stupid it was for them to not just go for it and get the yard when our kicker has been struggling like he has. The point is, our coaches are good and I stand behind their decisions, for whatever that's worth. Dead Horse Fully Beaten.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
        One last post about the UNI game. I don't know if this was brought up or not, but I have heard a lot of local talk about how dumb of a play call it was to go for it on 4th down instead of kick for the tie. Say that our coaches had decided to kick the field goal instead of go for it, and Carlson misses the field goal. The same people that criticized the decision to go for it would have said how stupid it was for them to not just go for it and get the yard when our kicker has been struggling like he has. The point is, our coaches are good and I stand behind their decisions, for whatever that's worth. Dead Horse Fully Beaten.
        For some it was not taking the FG attempt that they do not care for, for me it was more of a play selection issue, I Love that we went for it. I even Love that we didn't run it up the middle. I also think TC Should have rolled out.

Comment

Dead Horse Fully Beaten.
          "You said the magic words and you won a $100" Grocho Marx and You Bet your Life TV show that ran for many years 1950's.

Comment

My $.02 on the last play.

If we are going to go for it do it on two (hut, hut). You know the D line is digging and looking to submarine. They had proven to be undisciplined on that drive. Why not go on two? If they jump, first down, if we false start, we are still in field goal range. If nothing happens run the play or call timeout.

I sure hope we can get this thing straightened out as it would be a shame to continue to waste the great defensive performances. This D is looking better and better every week.

Comment

I go by the odds,at that distance a FG try was just about assured to be good,that's me,live for another day/try and get a better chance or opportunity,but stay alive first and foremost.

If a better opportunity doesn't come about,then we still have a controversy I'm afraid.People only look for success,fact of life.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                I go by the odds,at that distance it was just about assured to be good,that's me,live for another day/try and get a better chance or opportunity,stay alive first.
                I see the merit in your argument, but you know that plenty of people would have stated that it was ludicrous to trust our kicker to make that instead of 'easily' gaining 1 yard.

Comment

I see the merit in your argument, but you know that plenty of people would have stated that it was ludicrous to trust our kicker to make that instead of 'easily' gaining 1 yard.

I'v seen so many "it's just a yard " tries fail to know it's not easy to do either.Ya, I can see why either option is a gamble.And one choice isn't blaringly more obvious to be successful than the other(to most people,not myself).I don't fault Stig for having to choose one.

Comment

My thoughts and strategy are 1 never leave points on the field. Unless its like 4th and 1 from the 1. Go for it. If you fail they have 99 yards to go.

The second is go for the tie at home and the win on the road. With little time left it was probably our last chance to score. Take the 3 if you can and live to keep playing. Our d was solid our crowd was decent at home in overtime I like our odds.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                      For some it was not taking the FG attempt that they do not care for, for me it was more of a play selection issue, I Love that we went for it. I even Love that we didn't run it up the middle. I also think TC Should have rolled out.
                      This. Loved going for it....until I saw the formation.
                      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

The talk about field goals made me remember a rules question from the game. UNI tried a long field goal(around 50 yards if I remember correctly) near the end of the first half. The kick was well short and we had a return man who caught the ball near the back of the end zone and his momentum took him out of the end zone. It was ruled a touchback and we got the ball on the 20. I thought after a missed field goal that the ball went back to the original line of scrimmage. Did our player touching the ball in the end zone make it a touchback even if he made no attempt to return it ?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                          The talk about field goals made me remember a rules question from the game. UNI tried a long field goal(around 50 yards if I remember correctly) near the end of the first half. The kick was well short and we had a return man who caught the ball near the back of the end zone and his momentum took him out of the end zone. It was ruled a touchback and we got the ball on the 20. I thought after a missed field goal that the ball went back to the original line of scrimmage. Did our player touching the ball in the end zone make it a touchback even if he made no attempt to return it ?
                          He could run it back if he wanted to. Remember the Iron Bowl when Alabama tried a 56 or 57 yarder and the Auburn player caught the ball and ran it back for a TD to win it. I assume once he touches the ball, we lose out on getting the ball at the original line of scrimmage. But not positive

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            I'm confused about this one too. Everywhere I look, it says the ball is placed at the line of scrimmage, but this is the 2nd time I've seen it this year where they've placed it at the 20. Any college refs that can help out?

Comment

I'm confused about this one too. Everywhere I look, it says the ball is placed at the line of scrimmage, but this is the 2nd time I've seen it this year where they've placed it at the 20. Any college refs that can help out?
                              It went to the 20 because butler caught it first then stepped out if bounds. The ball would have been placed wherever it would have gotten returned too had he not stepped out of bounds.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                                This. Loved going for it....until I saw the formation.
                                ^this^.........Stig owes me a remote control. Serenity now!!

Comment

Working...
                                X