Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hobo day "THE THREAD"

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
    Should all images and mascots of the Jackrabbit be white in the winter as well? It is their natural color that time of year.
    *Yes

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
      Funny, I thought our school colors were yellow and blue...not happy with the basketball team black uni's (because the players liked them...great reason?), and hope it doesn't spread to football.
      Yup knew that was coming. Lol.
      Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
        I think the excitement this creates with current players and incoming recruits IS a great reason to do it. Shows that the university and AD cares about their experience while a student athlete and providing them things that matter to them.
        I think this is another misguided notion that alternate uniforms "impress" recruits and have something to do with their decision. I saw a story on ESPN in which they interviewed a bunch of the top recruits in country. The specific question of uniforms was asked of each of them. Most of them laughed when asked the question and stated that while different uniforms were "cool", in no way would that impact the decision on where they were going to play football.

In short, you've got to give the kids a little bit of credit for being reasonably intelligent at 17/18 years old.

I'd say Alabama has done just fine with all of their uniform combinations...........

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
          I think this is another misguided notion that alternate uniforms "impress" recruits and have something to do with their decision. I saw a story on ESPN in which they interviewed a bunch of the top recruits in country. The specific question of uniforms was asked of each of them. Most of them laughed when asked the question and stated that while different uniforms were "cool", in no way would that impact the decision on where they were going to play football.

In short, you've got to give the kids a little bit of credit for being reasonably intelligent at 17/18 years old.

I'd say Alabama has done just fine with all of their uniform combinations...........
          He also mentioned the current players. I assure you that they love the alternate uniforms. Also, lol at using Alabama for a comparison......

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
            He also mentioned the current players. I assure you that they love the alternate uniforms. Also, lol at using Alabama for a comparison......
            I agree that current players and recruits like love the alternates. No argument here. All I'm saying is that it shouldn't be counted on as this massive recruiting tool that will impact the decisions made by recruits because that narrative has been proven false from the mouths of recruits themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
              Yup knew that was coming. Lol.
              That's kind of why I posted it. Lol. I refuse to let this thread die!
              One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

I agree that current players and recruits like love the alternates. No argument here. All I'm saying is that it shouldn't be counted on as this massive recruiting tool that will impact the decisions made by recruits because that narrative has been proven false from the mouths of recruits themselves.
                While not a huge factor, I'm fairly certain it is something that helps some with recognition of the program. Remember these kids are visualizing themselves playing for us when they are deciding, and a "cool" uniform certainly won't hurt. We aren't Penn State or Alabama, where they have a deeply rich history. I'm pretty sure it hasn't hurt Oregon. Also I would wager it helps around our region when a kid growing up sees a photo in the paper or online and sees some cool threads, and thinks, man it would be cool to play there. I don't think it's a huge deal or a major factor in a recruits decision, but when we have the goals and aspirations our program does we need to use everything we can to draw top level talent.
                Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                  I'm upset there was no 50/50 raffle.
                  Well I can add to that story. I did send a link and email to one of the HPER staff, and after I did it, I slowly noticed that a commercial company is involved, 50/50 Central, a Canadian company works with the Team Makers in running their raffle. I don't have a clue about how it works but its a cost to the Team Makers and may cut into their revenue some. The staff person told me that I was not the first person to bring this up and the SDSU staff have talked about a possible raffle once we get the new stadium up and running. So its a possibility that we may have a raffle down the road.

Comment

Agreed

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      Well I can add to that story. I did send a link and email to one of the HPER staff, and after I did it, I slowly noticed that a commercial company is involved, 50/50 Central, a Canadian company works with the Team Makers in running their raffle. I don't have a clue about how it works but its a cost to the Team Makers and may cut into their revenue some. The staff person told me that I was not the first person to bring this up and the SDSU staff have talked about a possible raffle once we get the new stadium up and running. So its a possibility that we may have a raffle down the road.
                      Good work. I hope it happens, i'll partake

Comment

I will play along.

Would we really want a recruit who cares more about flashy uniforms, then say the coaching staff, or school, academic programs offered?

Seems like that should be last on the reason to pick or not pick a school. Maybe I was old school when I was 18, but I cared more for traditions etc in college. I didnt want to buy into the trends and fads that will quickly die away.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          I will play along.

Would we really want a recruit who cares more about flashy uniforms, then say the coaching staff, or school, academic programs offered?

Seems like that should be last on the reason to pick or not pick a school. Maybe I was old school when I was 18, but I cared more for traditions etc in college. I didnt want to buy into the trends and fads that will quickly die away.
                          I don't think anyone said a recruit cares only about splashy uniforms, but it can be a piece of the puzzle. Anything that makes our program more attractive than it otherwise would be is worth doing IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                            I don't think anyone said a recruit cares only about splashy uniforms, but it can be a piece of the puzzle. Anything that makes our program more attractive than it otherwise would be is worth doing IMO.
                            Does it really though? maybe its just my headache or the weather, but seems rather vain, not sure if thats the right word, but thats besides the point. coaching staff, scholarships, degrees, location, facilities I would assume are what most recruits and parents worry about, seems silly to me to me to build hype and get kids excitied for a game. If the kids cant get pumped up to play UNI regardless of the uniform, we have bigger issues then. Out of curiosity? does NDSU do any different things for their unis? I know USD started too I think last year, but wasnt sure if others in the area buy into the uniform hype as much.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

I might add that USD for football has stayed with their conventional red and white. I suppose they are the odd balls, but it did not stop VanGinkle from hopping the bus to Vermillion.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                                I might add that USD for football has stayed with their conventional red and white. I suppose they are the odd balls, but it did not stop VanGinkle from hopping the bus to Vermillion.
                                They have a flashy chrome helmet and grey pants throw back uni, atleast last year saw pics of it. Frankly their unis with the red tops and white pants with the red stripes is really sharp. which red and white is pretty hard to mess up a uniform look though. just like our blue tops with yellow pants with the blue stripes is pretty good look.

Comment

Working...
                                X