GDT NDSU at SDSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT NDSU at SDSU

First post since the debacle Saturday night.

I was really surprised by the Jacks play.

It was no surprise that NDSU was ready to go. They've had a loss, they were coming off a bye, it is a rivalry game, and this was their chance to let everyone know (not that it had been forgotten) that they were the gorilla in the FCS. Nothing they did surprised me. They played very well.

What was surprising is how ineffective the Jacks were in every aspect. I think it is safe to say that we've played NDSU as well as anyone over the last decade. We've always come up with a gameplan that was successful and found ways to compete even though the Bison were bigger, stronger, faster, and deeper. That didn't happen Saturday night and that was the shock to me.

NDSU put the blueprint out there on how to beat us. Every team will watch that and now have extra pressure in the box forcing Lujan to beat them with his arm. If he does, we will win those games. If not, hang on it could get bumpy.

I'm still optimistic for this season. We have a very good team. It is just disappointing because I think we were all hoping that maybe we'd gotten over the hump and were on a more even level with the Bison. They proved we are not there.

Keep working hard men! Another tough one this week! Back to the 1-0 mentality!

SUEPRBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
      NDSU put the blueprint out there on how to beat us. Every team will watch that and now have extra pressure in the box forcing Lujan to beat them with his arm. If he does, we will win those games. If not, hang on it could get bumpy.
      SUEPRBUNNY
      I'd argue that NDSU didn't really put out a blue-print with how to beat us, they simply had better players at the positions that mattered to be able to shut us down. They have an All-American CB to man up Wieneke and likely the best defensive line we will see this season that didn't give Lujan any time to make plays.

I agree with most of what you said regarding our preparedness and lack of execution, but NDSU is the best team we will play this year, and just because they shut us down doesn't mean others will be able to replicate that formula.

Comment

A blueprint indeed. Lujan is a pocket passer, not a running QB with average arm strength. Stop the run and bringing the heat will make Lujan indecisive, high passes and holds the ball too long when the first receiver is covered. That is a defensive dream.

how about running a misdirection all play to slow the defensive pursuit down and make them play honest. Watch the Bison over pursue and kill the ruling attempt time after time. Run a counter play or misdirection all. The fake fly sweep and Wallace to the right was the only successful run and that was because the Bison went all out left.

How about a draw play to slow down the rush. Never seen one. How about a middle screen or any screen pass. It can't always be Weineke or the rush will collapse the pocket QB.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
          I just had a thought... Let's say that both SDSU and NDSU win out. (unlikely, I know, but stay with me) NDSU would win the conference championship, but would it be possible for SDSU to get a higher seed with their only loss being against NDSU? Considering NDSU lost against Montana, and SDSU has an FBS win this season, it seems feasible.

I know, this is very hypothetical and looking way ahead, but it's interesting to consider the conference champion getting a lower seed than the runner up.
          There is no way we are ranked above NDSU if we finish with the same record. Anyone who would be doing the seeding knows that NDSU is a better team than Kansas and knows the circumstances in Montana that caused the the Bison to lose in the last seconds of the game.

I'll go as far as saying if NDSU is 9-2 and we are 10-1 that they'd have a high chance to still be seeded ahead of us. A 21 point head to head win on the road is just too glaring not to be considered by the committee. So if this scenario did come to fruition, the deciding factor would likely come down to when NDSU picked up their next loss and to who. If the loss happened in their last 4 games, then we'd probably be ranked ahead of them, but if they lose to say, UNI next week, I don't think that would hurt them enough to drop them below us. This is because they'd still be co-conference champs plus have the auto-bid due to the head to head win, as well as still being on a sizable win streak heading into the playoffs.

With all this being said, I wouldn't worry about this at the moment. We need to bounce back in a big way against a solid ISU-Blue team or this discussion is moot.
          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
          - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
            A blueprint indeed. Lujan is a pocket passer, not a running QB with average arm strength. Stop the run and bringing the heat will make Lujan indecisive, high passes and holds the ball too long when the first receiver is covered. That is a defensive dream.

how about running a misdirection all play to slow the defensive pursuit down and make them play honest. Watch the Bison over pursue and kill the ruling attempt time after time. Run a counter play or misdirection all. The fake fly sweep and Wallace to the right was the only successful run and that was because the Bison went all out left.

How about a draw play to slow down the rush. Never seen one. How about a middle screen or any screen pass. It can't always be Weineke or the rush will collapse the pocket QB.
            Don't recall a screen or draw ran the other night. Must of been on page 2 of the play book.....

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
              Don't recall a screen or draw ran the other night. Must of been on page 2 of the play book.....
              Hell, we only had the ball for 21 minutes. Didn't even have the ball long enough to run plays on the second page.

With that said, I'm still pretty pissy about Saturday. I hope the disappointment wears as the days pass. I expect it will and I will be ready to go again on Saturday.
              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                I'm of the opinion that if there is a "blueprint" out there that almost any team can execute to beat you, then you are not a very good team (or very well coached).

You should rarely have the same game plan week to week unless your opponents are of similar personnel and scheme, and even then you don't want to be predictable and allow the other team to have all the answers to the test. While their will always be staples for a good team both offensively and defensively, exploiting the opponents weakness and neutralizing their strengths should be a goal in every game, and since no two teams are exactly alike, their should be a different game plan for every opponent.
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

Comment

One game does not a season make. Too bad we had this kind of game at this moment, but this season is not over by any means. Another shot at the Bison is still in the cards.

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
                      Last year UNI spanked us pretty bad...but it did not define the season. If Stig can use this as motivation, maybe this will make the team better.
                      This. You're defined by two things in college football. How you react after a bad loss, and how you play when everything is truly on the line. Last year we lost decisively to NDSU in the regular season, but shoulda/coulda won on Bizun Turf when it mattered in December. As far as I remember, Stig coached both of those games. It's still very much in this team's control to make December relevant again.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                        I'm of the opinion that if there is a "blueprint" out there that almost any team can execute to beat you, then you are not a very good team (or very well coached).

You should rarely have the same game plan week to week unless your opponents are of similar personnel and scheme, and even then you don't want to be predictable and allow the other team to have all the answers to the test. While their will always be staples for a good team both offensively and defensively, exploiting the opponents weakness and neutralizing their strengths should be a goal in every game, and since no two teams are exactly alike, their should be a different game plan for every opponent.
                        I hear what you are saying there and agree with it for the most part. However, their defense was stronger than our offense and was able to impose its will on them. So, maybe "blueprint" isn't the right wording. They were able to take us out of what we wanted to do. That was the thing. In the past, Stig and his staff have done a good job with gameplans. It didn't work Saturday.

The sun came up Sunday and we have a chance to go 1-0 this week!

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                          Hell, we only had the ball for 21 minutes. Didn't even have the ball long enough to run plays on the second page.

With that said, I'm still pretty pissy about Saturday. I hope the disappointment wears as the days pass. I expect it will and I will be ready to go again on Saturday.
                          Lol I'm really not sure there is a 2nd page

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post

Not a running QB with a below average arm. If he doesn't have time to throw the jump ball to Wieneke it's going to be a long season. I'll be ready to see Christion.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post

I think part of the issue with our struggles against NDSU comes from the fact that what we do well typically (running the ball between the tackles) is their strength. They are typically very very good at stopping the power run. If we can't get the run established we usually struggle....a lot.

If you look at the two NDSU games last year I think we did a better chance of throwing in some wrinkles in Fargo in the playoffs. That helped open up other things offensively. It also helped us extend some drives and possess the ball longer. That helps our defense stay fresh.

It didn't seem like we had any "wrinkles" on Saturday. I don't think it's a good thought process to think we can beat NDSU by trying to run them over.

Also, the TOP gap Saturday was awful. In order to beat NDSU you have to keep that close.

Sometimes I think the Jacks are the Minnesota Vikings of college sports......sigh.

Comment

We've lost to our rival up north 8 times in a row now. Say that out loud. 8 times!!! At what other "big time" program in the country would this be acceptable?

How many more passes are ya'll going to give Stig? I know he is an outstanding human being, but sometimes tough decisions have to be made for the betterment of the program. How many more times are we going to say "we'll get em' next year"? What are we, Cub fans?

I've supported Stig in the past, but without results this year I'm ready to move on.

PS - Someone posted earlier that NDSU controlled the LOS on both sides of the ball this game. I'm confident you could say that for the last 8 games we've played against them.

Comment

Working...
                                X