GDT NDSU at SDSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT NDSU at SDSU

For me, and I've mentioned this before, it's not that we lose, it's HOW we lose, seemingly every time that frustrates me. Sometimes you just get beat by a better team, but Good grief, in a game we think we'll be pretty competitive, we go out there and look like a bunch of kindergarteners playing 5th graders, no matter how much talent we have on our side of the ball. Think ISUr last year, UNI two years ago, Cal Poly 5 years ago, NDSU every year.
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

[QUOTE=JimmyJack;278301]Stig says it's a lack of confidence. Sure, that's part of it. What he can't say is that NDSU has better players at a lot of positions. Can anybody argue that is not the case? If you do, you're kidding yourselves. Confidence isn't going to stop NDSU's pass rush from whacking our QB. You need great players across the board. And (though apparently optimism is frowned upon here) the Jacks are, slowly but surely, getting better players. It's a long-term deal to catch up to NDSU. It just is. Sorry, but you don't match or pass the four-time national champs in one or two or three years. This wasn't even supposed to be a great year for SDSU, picked 5th in the conference after losing two of the best players in the program's history.

I agree to a point. I think our o-line played scared and wasn't aggressive at all. Our WR's dropped way too many easy to catch passes and Lujan looked in over his head all game. I think the disappointment is that the fans expected a closer game and better product on the field tonight. If the Bison win a close one and we played our best then I would feel much better, but we played awful. Too many dumb penalties dumb plays and poor execution. Once again, NDSU seemed like they were in our huddle and knew the plays. The creativity from last years playoff game apparently was left in Fargo. Do we think their WR are that much better than our DB's? They had one big play otherwise it was 5-6 yard passes all night. Wentz is good but a 3 step drop and get the ball to a spot should be something QB's at this level should be able to do. We were outplayed and out coached. I do agree, it's a long season and we have a lot of big games at home this year. Just tired of seeing us come out flat to start the MVC schedule. Did it last year and the year before.

Comment

I have not taken the time to read more than the last couple posts, but I assume most would agree that both of our lines were overmatched. Beyond that, everything else (penalties, dropped passes, play calling, etc) was just noise.

We had no shot with the current status of our O And D lines. Injuries and attrition look like they have caught up with us big time. That is a very bad sign given the conference we play in!

On a more positive note, this was my first trip to the half-new stadium. Impressive. The tailgate scene and preface vibe were better than previous games I've attended too. I was also happy with the ratio of blue to yellow in the stands. There certainly were not 5,000 NDSU fans as some of them predicted. Now if only the game was half-way decent.

Comment

The morning after, I'm most disgusted by the overall energy and what appeared lack of preparedness. It was a huge crowd of Jacks fans, tailgating was great, the students showed up. Then the team laid a complete egg. Someone said earlier that they expect a crowd of 7,000 people next week. I don't think it will be that small but it won't be very good. Just a wasted opportunity to garner more interest and excitement.
          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
            Stig says it's a lack of confidence. Sure, that's part of it. What he can't say is that NDSU has better players at a lot of positions. Can anybody argue that is not the case? If you do, you're kidding yourselves. Confidence isn't going to stop NDSU's pass rush from whacking our QB. You need great players across the board. And (though apparently optimism is frowned upon here) the Jacks are, slowly but surely, getting better players. It's a long-term deal to catch up to NDSU. It just is. Sorry, but you don't match or pass the four-time national champs in one or two or three years. This wasn't even supposed to be a great year for SDSU, picked 5th in the conference after losing two of the best players in the program's history.

We're 3-1 and because we just lost to the likely 5-peat national champions, the sky is falling? Did anybody think we'd complete the SJAC, build half a stadium and win a national championship right away?

This team has seven more games to play and still has a great shot at a top-8 seed in the playoffs.
            All very excellent points. And some one took a jab at my rhetorical question that do you suppose NDSU is 3 or more TDs better than we are? Rep pts given to JJ.

Comment

Stadium looked really nice on TV, I'm sure it is nicer in person.

Jacks are a good team. Sometimes teams lay an egg and the other team is just better. 3-1 is pretty good start to the season. There are 7 more conference games and many will be tough for the Jacks and Bison.

A lot of season left. Jacks will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Bison Fan in NW MN View Post
                Stadium looked really nice on TV, I'm sure it is nicer in person.

Jacks are a good team. Sometimes teams lay an egg and the other team is just better. 3-1 is pretty good start to the season. There are 7 more conference games and many will be tough for the Jacks and Bison.

A lot of season left. Jacks will be fine.
                Sure, we'll be fine. But until we can beat you, it isnt going to matter.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                  ...the sky is falling?
                  I don't believe this, and I don't think most posters do either. Just frustrating after getting high expectations crushed by the bison once again. I hope we can shore a few things up and come away with a top 8 seed. With our home schedule remaining, I do see that as a real possibility. However, looking way forward, there's no way this SDSU team has a chance against that NDSU team in Fargo, let alone Brookings.

Comment

Thought I'd be able to sleep this loss off and be fine in the morning but I still woke up irritated.

The loss doesn't bother me as much as how we lost. I hate seeing a capable team not compete.

We may not be as complete of team overall as the Bison, but both teams have strengths and weakness, and we seem to always maximize our weaknesses and minimize our strengths when playing the Bison. I've been very happy with the play calling and multiple sets we've been running on offense this year up to this point, but when push come to shove we revert back to trying to "out Bison the Bison" when facing off against NDSU.

We can telegraph whether we are going to run or not against certain opponents because our offensive line is just better than their d-line, but this hasn't been the case against NDSU for years, but for some reason we are just too stubborn to accept this and continue to give a good defense the answers to the test.

I found it very ominous when, on the first play of the game, we lined up in a power I-formation and ran right at their DTs, which of course resulted in a negative play. You don't have to be a prophet to predict that many 3rd and 10s/11s were to follow. Until we can at least match them in the trenches, this mentality will continue to doom our games against NDSU.
                    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                    - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                      Sure, we'll be fine. But until we can beat you, it isnt going to matter.
                      Probably the best post on this thread. Simple, to the point and 100% fact.
                      "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

A few thoughts on the game:

1) As a team we played tight, especially in the first half - dropped passes, fumbling the ball out of bounds, etc.
                        2) Wentz is a very good quarterback and will play in the NFL. He is a difference maker as he had a lot of 3rd down conversions both running and passing.
                        3) We were slow in making adjustments on both sides of the ball and when we did we played a better 2nd half, but it was too late at that time. We may not be successful executing power football right now against NDSU, but that is why you make adjustments (i.e. short passes, screens, quick misdirection plays, blitzes, etc.).
                        4) The facilities will definitely make a difference. A few years ago approximately 150 players attended the elite camp and last Summer there were over 400.
                        5) This is the fewest number of Bison fans I've ever seen at a game in Brookings. Thanks to the companies who purchased tickets for their employees and fans who made it to the game.
                        6) Being 3 and 1 at this point is a good thing.
                        7) We have a good team and if we respond the right way to this loss, we will have a good season.

Comment

The Jacks are a very good FCS program. Are they one of the top 5? Probably not yet. The part that frustrated me the most is that they seemed completely under prepared to deal with the pressure/spotlight. We were out played and out coached yesterday. Hopefully this opens the eyes of both players and coaches to see they have a big hill to climb if they want to be considered a serious threat to a championship.

I know they can do it, but having a performance like last night makes it seem a little steeper.
                          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Can't believe I read a few saying Stig should be gone. Some have unrealistic expectations. You guys lost the best running back in the FCS and a senior qb. You have some big shoes to fill...this is rebuilding time. Not saying the cupboard is empty...but the experience is not there yet.

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
                              Can't believe I read a few saying Stig should be gone. Some have unrealistic expectations. You guys lost the best running back in the FCS and a senior qb. You have some big shoes to fill...this is rebuilding time. Not saying the cupboard is empty...but the experience is not there yet.
                              Kind of letting off steam. Some of us think a win is included in the ticket price. Shame on us.
                              Last edited by Nidaros; 10-04-2015, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                                And it doesn't help when one of your corners is constantly lining up 10 yards off the line of scrimmage.
                                We 've always had this problem it seems,maybe we can play tighter with the corner and if the receiver gets by ,have him picked up by another defender.Isn't this what they refer to as "zone coverage"?

They scouted and prepared for us very,very well,and exploited our weaknesses. Time to forget this game and become a stronger team for the remaining games by learning from this. If we can't learn and adjust, we've got problems more serious than losing a game to the likely 5 time FCS champs. Trying to be optimistic that we'll be alright long term for the season.Very good points made by all the posters "the day after".
                                Last edited by jackdaniel; 10-04-2015, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X