Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SUU GDT

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    Did anyone else feel maybe we could have taken the foot off the accelerator sooner? I was little surprised we were throwing to Weineke in the end zone with about 12 minutes left and then of course the last touchdown went the distance to the tight-end with Douglas in. Fine line between allowing players to make plays and running up the score. Not sure how Lamb or Stig felt about it?
    I was surprised, but pleased.
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
      Stig said on his radio show this evening, that he was especially pleased with the team's second-half effort. He pointed out that we didn't play well in the second half at Kansas, and that it would be easy for a team to come out after halftime, thinking they were dominating the other team, and NOT put their foot on the gas. And while he didn't mention it tonight, he said at Difference Makers a couple of weeks ago, that the criteria for FCS playoff spots, was changed this year, and any game played where you do not win by 21 points, will be thrown out (not looked at) by the committee in deciding playoffs. That has caused a change in the infamous card on go for 1 or 2, so that now, if we were leading by 19 points, we will automatically go for 2. And I believe that in our playing a team from a competitive conference (i.e., Big Sky), that our win over SUU surely wouldn't hurt us when the committee is making its decisions.
      Can you explain further? Any win in which the difference is less than 21 points will not be considered?
      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Montana.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
          Montana.
          Quoted for emphasis
          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
          - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
            Did anyone else feel maybe we could have taken the foot off the accelerator sooner? I was little surprised we were throwing to Weineke in the end zone with about 12 minutes left and then of course the last touchdown went the distance to the tight-end with Douglas in. Fine line between allowing players to make plays and running up the score. Not sure how Lamb or Stig felt about it?
            No way. Problem with this program the last 10 years has been a lack of killer instinct and a willingness to burry teams as quickly as possible. I can promise you that SUU wanted nothing to do with SDSU "letting up earlier". This is big boy football. You stomp people when you can and you don't look back.....ever.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              No way. Problem with this program the last 10 years has been a lack of killer instinct and a willingness to burry teams as quickly as possible. I can promise you that SUU wanted nothing to do with SDSU "letting up earlier". This is big boy football. You stomp people when you can and you don't look back.....ever.
              Agree....when things are clicking, you stomp on the accelerator, you never know if a lead is enough until the clock says so. That's my philosophy. Who's to say the other team couldn't get crazy and come back and keep surging right past you like the Montana game. We all know what that felt like.

Comment

FYI, the next poster who references a certain past playoff game shall experience negative reps. raining down upon them for an eternity.

Comment

Stig said on his radio show this evening, that he was especially pleased with the team's second-half effort. He pointed out that we didn't play well in the second half at Kansas, and that it would be easy for a team to come out after halftime, thinking they were dominating the other team, and NOT put their foot on the gas. And while he didn't mention it tonight, he said at Difference Makers a couple of weeks ago, that the criteria for FCS playoff spots, was changed this year, and any game played where you do not win by 21 points, will be thrown out (not looked at) by the committee in deciding playoffs. That has caused a change in the infamous card on go for 1 or 2, so that now, if we were leading by 19 points, we will automatically go for 2. And I believe that in our playing a team from a competitive conference (i.e., Big Sky), that our win over SUU surely wouldn't hurt us when the committee is making its decisions.
                  Not trying to be combative, and I sure wasn't there, but the 21-point rule...that makes no sense without some type of context. Is that to say if we beat NDSU by 20 (or 2 for that matter), the playoff committee doesn't take that into consideration? Because there's just no way that makes sense. Can anybody offer an explanation on this one?

Maybe the last 77-yard TD pass was unnecessary...when the reserves were in. I was OK with everything else. After the slow start, we looked dynamite. With the exception of the punting game, I guess. That was pretty rough.
                  Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

My opinion is any time you don't go out and do your best you risk injury, sloppy play and patronizing an opponent. If 2nd and 3rd string guys can continue to do well that is their right. Now that said, 89-0 in the 4th quarter, kneel on it and punt. Play D but turn off the faucet.

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                      Not trying to be combative, and I sure wasn't there, but the 21-point rule...that makes no sense without some type of context. Is that to say if we beat NDSU by 20 (or 2 for that matter), the playoff committee doesn't take that into consideration? Because there's just no way that makes sense. Can anybody offer an explanation on this one? Maybe the last 77-yard TD pass was unnecessary...when the reserves were in. I was OK with everything else. After the slow start, we looked dynamite. With the exception of the punting game, I guess. That was pretty rough.
                      Although he didn't explain it further, I took it to mean: A) Of course, if it is a win or a loss is counted (and I assume obviously weighted by who the opponent was. B) The difference in the score will not be weighted unless the margin is 21 points or above, thus the reason to go for 2 if you are 19 points ahead. He was pointing out that they had changed "The 1 or 2 Decision Card" (with all the other options still on it) but when you hold a lead of 19 (whenever...early...mid...late) it now says Go for 2. So it is not a big change, but a mildly interesting one.
                      Last edited by Jacks#1Fan; 09-15-2015, 11:30 AM. Reason: * my original post was poorly worded. Game score differential will not be noted unless margin is 21 points or more

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                        FYI, the next poster who references a certain past playoff game shall experience negative reps. raining down upon them for an eternity.
                        I lol'd when I read that.

Echoing others, just look at the scoring plays on espn, http://espn.go.com/college-football/...meId=400795512.

We were down 7-3 with 7 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter. That means we scored 24 points in under 7 minutes to close out the half. 2 of the 4 drives were only 2 plays.

That is why you don't take your foot off the gas....one play and 15 seconds is all an opponent needs to put up a score.

Loot at the Giants the other night vs the Cowboys....not scoring the td at the end (nevermind the horrendous clock managment) cost them the game.
                        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post

Loot at the Giants the other night vs the Cowboys....not scoring the td at the end (nevermind the horrendous clock managment) cost them the game.
                          No way Eli should have thrown the ball out of the back of the end zone on 3rd down. Take a sack.

Not sure why you wouldn't want to score a TD and go up two scores with under 2 to play......

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                            No way Eli should have thrown the ball out of the back of the end zone on 3rd down. Take a sack.

Not sure why you wouldn't want to score a TD and go up two scores with under 2 to play......
                            exactly, 1st score, so they other team has to get 2 scores a FG does you no good really. 2nd keep the clock going how how you can and give them as little time so should never had had a pass play in there.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                              exactly, 1st score, so they other team has to get 2 scores a FG does you no good really. 2nd keep the clock going how how you can and give them as little time so should never had had a pass play in there.
                              And moving beyond the idiotic last sequence of plays...I was stunned that entire drive, going clear back to 3 minutes left in the game, when the clock was running and Manning kept snapping the ball with 10 to 15 seconds left on the play clock...stunned...

Comment

Although he didn't explain it further, I took it to mean: A) Of course, if it is a win or a loss is counted (and I assume obviously weighted by who the opponent was. B) The difference in the score will not be weighted unless the margin is 21 points or above, thus the reason to go for 2 if you are 19 points ahead. He was pointing out that they had changed "The 1 or 2 Decision Card" (with all the other options still on it) but when you hold a lead of 19 (whenever...early...mid...late) it now says Go for 2. So it is not a big change, but a mildly interesting one.

Gotcha. Yes, that makes it seem much clearer. Thanks!
                                Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Working...
                                X