Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fall Camp 2015

Originally posted by gobigblue View Post
    I don't think Taryn will play at all this year unless Lujan gets hurt or plays so awful a move is needed. He will probably dress each week just like Sumner did his freshman year then battle for starting job next year. I really don't think they would waste a year of eligibility for a very limited role this year. According to Zim on the weekly chat Matt Clark may get his redshirt pulled and a freshman on the D-line will not be using one this year.
    If Lujan was a senior then I could possibly see a reason for getting Taryn some playing time, but Lujan could possibly start two more years.
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Whitsel's redshirt getting pulled somewhat surprises me, I know we are deep at that spot. I know he is talented but it speaks more to Ramsey and Pupungatoa and where they are in their development.

Comment

Matt Zimmer ‏@argusmattz 8h8 hours ago Brookings, SD John Stiegelmeier says QB Taryn Christion is one of a handful of true freshmen who have been told their redshirt could be pulled.

• Retweets 6
        • Favorites
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
          Whitsel's redshirt getting pulled somewhat surprises me, I know we are deep at that spot. I know he is talented but it speaks more to Ramsey and Pupungatoa and where they are in their development.
          Pupungatao is pretty small. I was really surprised when I heard he was a defensive lineman. He would need to be a guy that has a high motor and is technically sound to be effective.
          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
            Pupungatao is pretty small. I was really surprised when I heard he was a defensive lineman. He would need to be a guy that has a high motor and is technically sound to be effective.
            Pretty small? 6'5" 275#, even if they inflated the numbers he's all of 270. Kids legs are like tree trunks. I can see a few other things being the reason but too small is not one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
              Pretty small? 6'5" 275#, even if they inflated the numbers he's all of 270. Kids legs are like tree trunks. I can see a few other things being the reason but too small is not one of them.
              Having watched a few practices now and listening to coach Brown and coach Currier's interviews on YouTube I think it's more of grasping the playbook. I have seen a couple of these guys in the wrong gap and colliding with each other (not sure who was correct). Usually it's not a problem when just playing the base defense but when a blitz is called it becomes a big issue. It's possible the freshman d lineman is picking it up right away (possibly played something similar in high school). So really as a coach you have to make the decision do I play a older guy who maybe is a little bigger/more athletic or do I play the guy who will be in the right spot..

Comment

Originally posted by tck9199 View Post
                Having watched a few practices now and listening to coach Brown and coach Currier's interviews on YouTube I think it's more of grasping the playbook. I have seen a couple of these guys in the wrong gap and colliding with each other (not sure who was correct). Usually it's not a problem when just playing the base defense but when a blitz is called it becomes a big issue. It's possible the freshman d lineman is picking it up right away (possibly played something similar in high school). So really as a coach you have to make the decision do I play a older guy who maybe is a little bigger/more athletic or do I play the guy who will be in the right spot..
                Totally agree, if Whitsel plays it will because of his technique and grasp of the playbook over the others, not his size. I seem to remember that's why Langer was able to go right away too.

Comment

Here's the QB position update GoJacks.com just put out:

If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                    Here's the QB position update GoJacks.com just put out:

who was the qp on the pass at the 3:13 point of this... a lot of the passes in this video looked like ducks, that one had some zip

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post
                      who was the qp on the pass at the 3:13 point of this... a lot of the passes in this video looked like ducks, that one had some zip
                      No. 8 is Dalton Douglas.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post
                        I'm not an expert, but I agree with your assessment on the passing. Lujan must have a sharp mind, because he does not have a strong arm. Douglas' pass was pretty!

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                          I'm not an expert, but I agree with your assessment on the passing. Lujan must have a sharp mind, because he does not have a strong arm. Douglas' pass was pretty!
                          I remember holding my breath as every semi-deep ball floated to earth last year....

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                            I remember holding my breath as every semi-deep ball floated to earth last year....
                            http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/1...iral-football/

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                              He heaves it like a shotput!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                                I was impressed with what Taryn had to say in his interview with Zim. I would have been quite surprised to see to a true freshman come in and start right away, especially a freshman who barely played his senior year in high school because of injury. Taryn sounds like a smart kid and a star in the making.
                                I would like to see him play, or even practice. The public opinion about him covers the full spectrum of possible expectations. I have had people say directly to me that a) he will start at QB as a freshman, and b) that he need to change position because he will never play QB at the college level. Obviously, there are some with thoughts landing in the middle of those two extreme positions. This makes it difficult for me, because I never really saw Taryn play in high school.
                                The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Working...
                                X