Fall Camp 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fall Camp 2015

The SDSU beat writer should have all sorts of reports if Fall football is covered decently and many of the football questions might have some answers instead of fan forum football fans guessing and asking questions. It's not a knock on Zim, it's on the Argus. They don't really care!

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
      Any chance we can keep the Argus stuff in this read in the lounge (http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread...s-Leader/page3) so we can keep this thread to specific stuff about fall camp and the football team?
      I guess not.

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
      The SDSU beat writer should have all sorts of reports if Fall football is covered decently and many of the football questions might have some answers instead of fan forum football fans guessing and asking questions. It's not a knock on Zim, it's on the Argus. They don't really care!

Comment

Zim has live chat tomorrow at 2, why not ask your questions then. Also tell him what you're looking for in a beat writer and maybe he will let you know how he looks at the beat writer position.

Comment

I guarantee you that the people in the Argus newsroom care deeply about the product they're creating. There are a lot of amazingly talented people there, including many SDSU (and some USD) graduates who all love South Dakota and want to produce the best newspaper they can.

Their problem is not in Sioux Falls. It's in McLean, Va., Gannett HQ. That company has gradually sucked the life from its regional newspapers, turning them into glorified shoppers. The corporate bean counters' goal is to see how much they can NOT do at those papers and still make their profit margins. I guarantee you that the Argus Leader's Executive Editor, Maricarrol Kueter (a proud SDSU journalism graduate) would love to cover more of everything. I also guarantee you that the Argus Leader management understands that SDSU coverage sells papers and generates clicks. But Gannett just keeps giving Maricarrol and her staff less of everything to work with. When you look at the long list of things Zim covers, you need to understand that while he covers some things because he wants to, he's spread so thin because the staff has been cut to the bone in search of profits.

The Argus Leader's predicament is hardly unique. One has to wonder, though, how long it will be before the Gannett strategy has so devalued these regional papers that no matter how much they cut they cannot meet their profit goals. I give these regional, corporate newspapers about 7-10 more years before something drastic will have to happen.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

And now back to football. Have they released the two deeps yet and is there a way find a schedule for practice specifically for Saturday's, if they practice on Sat. also, Zim's interview with TC was pretty good. I think TC thought he would come right in and compete for the job but is now realizing how fast and different college ball is at this level. Seemed very mature of him to realize that and admit it. I think when he gets his shot he is going to be a great QB. It may also show how good Lujan was and can be with how he picked up the playbook and was able to play pretty well in a tough conference after showing up in Brookings last fall and thrown into the starting job. I think/hope we will be pleasantly surprised to how good our offense could be. It may be very young but also very athletic.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
              I guarantee you that the people in the Argus newsroom care deeply about the product they're creating. There are a lot of amazingly talented people there, including many SDSU (and some USD) graduates who all love South Dakota and want to produce the best newspaper they can.

Their problem is not in Sioux Falls. It's in McLean, Va., Gannett HQ. That company has gradually sucked the life from its regional newspapers, turning them into glorified shoppers. The corporate bean counters' goal is to see how much they can NOT do at those papers and still make their profit margins. I guarantee you that the Argus Leader's Executive Editor, Maricarrol Kueter (a proud SDSU journalism graduate) would love to cover more of everything. I also guarantee you that the Argus Leader management understands that SDSU coverage sells papers and generates clicks. But Gannett just keeps giving Maricarrol and her staff less of everything to work with. When you look at the long list of things Zim covers, you need to understand that while he covers some things because he wants to, he's spread so thin because the staff has been cut to the bone in search of profits.

The Argus Leader's predicament is hardly unique. One has to wonder, though, how long it will be before the Gannett strategy has so devalued these regional papers that no matter how much they cut they cannot meet their profit goals. I give these regional, corporate newspapers about 7-10 more years before something drastic will have to happen.
              That is true, at the same time, the Gannett people are not responsible to the readers of the Argus Leader (or the Arizona Republic for that matter), they are responsible to their shareholders, its a tough business right now. I still think SDSU would be better off hiring a beat writer of their own, but its easy to say things when you have no clue what actually has to happen for that to occur.

As for the football team? My opinion from afar is they aren't really sure on many of the positions, it will be a see what sticks for the first couple of weeks and hope by week 3-4 they have a solid foundation and everything works itself out.

Comment

we have only one punter. any word what happen to the two we had at spring ball.

Comment

I was impressed with what Taryn had to say in his interview with Zim. I would have been quite surprised to see to a true freshman come in and start right away, especially a freshman who barely played his senior year in high school because of injury. Taryn sounds like a smart kid and a star in the making.
                  This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                    I was impressed with what Taryn had to say in his interview with Zim. I would have been quite surprised to see to a true freshman come in and start right away, especially a freshman who barely played his senior year in high school because of injury. Taryn sounds like a smart kid and a star in the making.
                    Agree. I don't see any way he starts over Lujan, especially at Kansas. I do think he will get a series or 2 at Kansas. I don't see him taking a Red Shirt this year, but they will work him in slowly.
                    I love his attitude and admitting it has been an adjustment, that shows me he knows he needs to constantly get better and I believe he will.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
                      Agree. I don't see any way he starts over Lujan, especially at Kansas. I do think he will get a series or 2 at Kansas. I don't see him taking a Red Shirt this year, but they will work him in slowly.
                      I love his attitude and admitting it has been an adjustment, that shows me he knows he needs to constantly get better and I believe he will.
                      This sounds logical to me. I can't see starting a true freshman against an FBS team. But I can see him working his way into the lineup.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                        That is true, at the same time, the Gannett people are not responsible to the readers of the Argus Leader (or the Arizona Republic for that matter), they are responsible to their shareholders, its a tough business right now. I still think SDSU would be better off hiring a beat writer of their own, but its easy to say things when you have no clue what actually has to happen for that to occur.

As for the football team? My opinion from afar is they aren't really sure on many of the positions, it will be a see what sticks for the first couple of weeks and hope by week 3-4 they have a solid foundation and everything works itself out.
                        They have three and their names are Jason Hove, Ryan Sweeter and Michele Schmidt, collectively known as the Sports Information Department

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                          I feel like he already has too much pressure put on him already.
                          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post

That would not be a beat writer, that would be a PR person. On different planets. With entirely different missions. Would be like Donald Trump hiring someone to cover him.

Comment

I don't think Taryn will play at all this year unless Lujan gets hurt or plays so awful a move is needed. He will probably dress each week just like Sumner did his freshman year then battle for starting job next year. I really don't think they would waste a year of eligibility for a very limited role this year. According to Zim on the weekly chat Matt Clark may get his redshirt pulled and a freshman on the D-line will not be using one this year.

Comment

Originally posted by gobigblue View Post
                                I don't think Taryn will play at all this year unless Lujan gets hurt or plays so awful a move is needed. He will probably dress each week just like Sumner did his freshman year then battle for starting job next year. I really don't think they would waste a year of eligibility for a very limited role this year. According to Zim on the weekly chat Matt Clark may get his redshirt pulled and a freshman on the D-line will not be using one this year.
                                DT Blake Witsell will has already been told he will have his redshirt pulled
                                "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Working...
                                X