10/4/14 vs. Illinois State RedBirds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 10/4/14 vs. Illinois State RedBirds

Listened to the game on the radio, just watched the condensed "highlights" of the game. My thoughts-
    I think our offense would have been able to do some things had it not been for the turnovers and then likely forcing things and getting out of our game plan with being in such a large hole. I don't think that their defensive athleticism would be a huge problem for our offense if we played them again.
    Defense is another story. Our line looked like boys against men. I really don't like our defensive philosophy with how we play our lineman, having them off the ball and reading and reacting. We have a small line. Our advantage should be we should be quicker than the offensive lines we play. It doesn't seem like we try and use that at all by playing off the ball and trying to plug gaps. With Ill St.'s lineman averaging 310+ and our guys 280-, what do we expect to happen when all we do is tell them to plug this gap and try and let the linebackers make the plays. Of course they are going to get pushed back or washed down the line, thus not allowing our linebackers to have a clear vision for the ball carriers. We heard all through fall camp how much of a stud Langer was going to be this year, just don't think we are ever going to see his potential to create plays with the technique he is forced to use. Line wasn't the only problem though. There were many plays that we had a guy in position to make a tackle for no or minimal gain, only to see a whiff. I think this came down to their qb and rb just being better than we were.
    All in all if we played them again it would be closer, but I still don't think we would beat them. Too many great athletes for them and not enough for us

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
      I hate losing 45-10 as much as the next guy. Like most of you, I've calmed down since yesterday.

This isn't the NFL, but the Bucs did lose to the Falcons 56-14 and subsequently beat the Steelers by 3 the next week. This week's game will be very telling.

As much as I respect Yoteforever's past as a student athlete, I grow tired of the "you were never in a locker room" and/or the "you aren't a coach" speeches from him and others. Some on this board are major donors to SDSU athletics and don't appreciate those comments. If you want to maintain that attitude, we'll just leave the financial support of the sports programs to the "athletes".

Good luck with that.
      Adam V. has a large checking account. I'd guess he has donated his fair share. Jim Langer played before the NFL paid big bucks, but he really supports the program. So does Adam for that matter...

The Athletic Department does hit up the Athletic Alumni for funds. I would throw the statement out there that the Athletic Alumni more than donate their fair share... plus their fair share of aches and pains and head injuries. Hmm... no wonder why the Major BCS Conferences are looking to pay the Athletes more. Who do you think is bringing all of the fans to the stadiums?

The game has changed so much since I played in High School. The rule changes and techniques alone are vastly different. Yoteforever happened to have a great post and he was right. Maybe he was right because he has been there? Done that?

Sure, I can diagnose sick animals and such because I've seen Veterinarians do it. I can pretend I'm a lawyer because I've seen them practice on television, plus too much in real life. Same things with MD's... But the real Vets, Lawyers, and Dr's know what there talking about because they've been there and done that.

When it comes to football, most of us, including myself, on this Board are amateurs. Great Fans, but amateurs. When a football alumni, regardless of school or Division played, has something to say, I think we should listen.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
        If you had stayed in Norway 7 hours ahead, you could have posted here to warn us not to watch the game. Thanks a lot Nidaros.
        Good one, but being seven hours ahead does not give one clairvoyance. You are still dealing with the present, without a clue about the future. Any rate I enjoyed my trip and my iphone kept me up on the board happenings. A much happier bunch after the SUU and Cal Poly games.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
          Adam V. has a large checking account. I'd guess he has donated his fair share. Jim Langer played before the NFL paid big bucks, but he really supports the program. So does Adam for that matter...

The Athletic Department does hit up the Athletic Alumni for funds. I would throw the statement out there that the Athletic Alumni more than donate their fair share... plus their fair share of aches and pains and head injuries. Hmm... no wonder why the Major BCS Conferences are looking to pay the Athletes more. Who do you think is bringing all of the fans to the stadiums?

The game has changed so much since I played in High School. The rule changes and techniques alone are vastly different. Yoteforever happened to have a great post and he was right. Maybe he was right because he has been there? Done that?

Sure, I can diagnose sick animals and such because I've seen Veterinarians do it. I can pretend I'm a lawyer because I've seen them practice on television, plus too much in real life. Same things with MD's... But the real Vets, Lawyers, and Dr's know what there talking about because they've been there and done that.

When it comes to football, most of us, including myself, on this Board are amateurs. Great Fans, but amateurs. When a football alumni, regardless of school or Division played, has something to say, I think we should listen.

I really question some of your comments such as Adam V writing a big check. If he had,] it would have been big news. I have no idea what Adam V has contributed and neither do you. Possibly he is one of the anonymous names listed in the game program. Also I know some former athletes who have not given a plug nickel and some have been very generous. To make such a broad statement that they give more than those non-athletes is outrageous. In fact as a non-athlete, I am offended by that remark. Do you work at the Foundation? If so they hired the wrong guy.
          Otherwise the comment in bold I agree with.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            [/B]
            I really question some of your comments such as Adam V writing a big check. If he had,] it would have been big news. I have no idea what Adam V has contributed and neither do you. Possibly he is one of the anonymous names listed in the game program. Also I know some former athletes who have not given a plug nickel and some have been very generous. To make such a broad statement that they give more than those non-athletes is outrageous. In fact as a non-athlete, I am offended by that remark. Do you work at the Foundation? If so they hired the wrong guy.
            Otherwise the comment in bold I agree with.
            Settle down Nidaros... please.

Notice the word guess in front of Adam V donating his fair share. I do know for a fact he supports the team and has met with them when they played at Indiana State.

I also know for fact that the Athletes are asked to contribute immediately after graduation. I know several that have contributed and they aren't making big $$$ yet. Or still have school costs, even with scholarships, to pay for. The Golf outing alone is not cheap for them. The Scholarships are nice but don't cover everything.

I'd like to see a study done by the Foundation as to the %'s contributed. I do know for a fact, as I know Athletes and non Athletes, that the Athletes are pressured more to contribute, upon graduation, than the average student body . I'm talking 20 to 30 year olds, and I apologize for not making myself clear.

I also appreciate the amount of time and $$$ you personally contribute as a member of the Difference Maker Club and you are commended by me. The SDSU fund raising has been very good and keeps getting better due to people like you.

I'm also surprised that you don't agree with The game has changed so much since I played in High School. We used to get to cross body block and leave our feet back in the day...
            Last edited by shot_5533; 10-06-2014, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Back on point now -

Turnovers lost the game. Very few teams can come back from the fumble and the fumbled snap on the road. Check the percentages. The long interception was a lack of arm strength and should have been a long TD.

Very, very few teams come back from a 14-0 deficit due to turnovers on the road. I don't think you can be down to any team 14 - 0 due to turnovers, and win on the road in this conference.

Points are the most important statistic. Points off turnover differential is the second.

Did any expect the Jacks to go undefeated on the road? Come back next week and get the record even to 1-1 and everything looks a whole lot better from there. Give Illinois State credit, they are a good team. The Jacks have lost three straight to them.

Comment

Settle down Nidaros... please.

Notice the word guess in front of Adam V donating his fair share. I do know for a fact he supports the team and has met with them when they played at Indiana State.

I also know for fact that the Athletes are asked to contribute immediately after graduation. I know several that have contributed and they aren't making big $$$ yet. Or still have school costs, even with scholarships, to pay for. The Golf outing alone is not cheap for them. The Scholarships are nice but don't cover everything.

I'd like to see a study done by the Foundation as to the %'s contributed. I do know for a fact, as I know Athletes and non Athletes, that the Athletes are pressured more to contribute, upon graduation, than the average student body . I'm talking 20 to 30 year olds, and I apologize for not making myself clear.

I also appreciate the amount of time and $$$ you personally contribute as a member of the Difference Maker Club and you are commended by me. The SDSU fund raising has been very good and keeps getting better due to people like you.

I'm also surprised that you don't agree with The game has changed so much since I played in High School. We used to get to cross body block and leave our feet back in the day...
                Settle down my A**, when someone makes ridiculous remarks like you have why should I not respond? Do you take me to be some kind of potted plant?

Comment

Back on point now -

Turnovers lost the game. Very few teams can come back from the fumble and the fumbled snap on the road. Check the percentages. The long interception was a lack of arm strength and should have been a long TD.

Very, very few teams come back from a 14-0 deficit due to turnovers on the road. I don't think you can be down to any team 14 - 0 due to turnovers, and win on the road in this conference.

Points are the most important statistic. Points off turnover differential is the second.

Did any expect the Jacks to go undefeated on the road? Come back next week and get the record even to 1-1 and everything looks a whole lot better from there. Give Illinois State credit, they are a good team. The Jacks have lost three straight to them.
                  Nothing like being redundant.

Comment

Our main rival has won the last 3 national titles and 29 games in a row. Our fans make excuses for a 45-10 loss and berate others for having expectations and being upset.

SDSU isn't NDSU in FB and the reasons are multiple. Unfortunately I think part of the problem is a passive fan base.

Jackrabbit fans not only find it perfectly acceptable to lose games, they accept getting blown out. I'd like to see that change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      Our main rival has won the last 3 national titles and 29 games in a row. Our fans make excuses for a 45-10 loss and berate others for having expectations and being upset.

SDSU isn't NDSU in FB and the reasons are multiple. Unfortunately I think part of the problem is a passive fan base.

Jackrabbit fans not only find it perfectly acceptable to lose games, they accept getting blown out. I'd like to see that change.

YES. This 100%.

Comment

Football is a lot more mental than fans realize. NDSU had that mental toughness it takes to win games and championships. Not making mental errors can save a team a lot of grief. We self destructed and made it impossible to win that game. That's the lesson I hope the team learns. When everything's going well we play well, but we don't have the mental toughness to handle adversity.

Comment

The Bison have 6 recent grads on NFL active rosters and practice squads and the Jacks I believe have zero (I don't consider Adam V. to be a recent grad.) I would guess that has had a greater bearing on the results of the last three years than the fan bases.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            The Bison have 6 recent grads on NFL active rosters and practice squads and the Jacks I believe have zero (I don't consider Adam V. to be a recent grad.) I would guess that has had a greater bearing on the results of the last three years than the fan bases.
                            Don't miss my point. Why is it like that? Attitude? Commitment? Dedication? Too many of you have the attitude that we can't be the best. Dare I say we can't be NDSU?

Open your eyes. Look at what limits SDSU. We are getting passed by.

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                              Too many of you have the attitude that we can't be the best. Dare I say we can't be NDSU?

Open your eyes. Look at what limits SDSU. We are getting passed by.

You have no idea what my attitude is. Have I said we can't be the best ? And you can say we can be Florida State and it won't offend me. I simply said the Bison have been better in recent years because they have recruited better players. Period. Can that change ? Absolutely - I believe the gap has started to narrow in the last couple of recruiting classes and the improvement in facilities will continue to help. But message board posters coming on here after a loss and questioning the desire and commitment of the players , coaching staff and even the fans won't do much to narrow the gap IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                                You have no idea what my attitude is. Have I said we can't be the best ? And you can say we can be Florida State and it won't offend me. I simply said the Bison have been better in recent years because they have recruited better players. Period. Can that change ? Absolutely - I believe the gap has started to narrow in the last couple of recruiting classes and the improvement in facilities will continue to help. But message board posters coming on here after a loss and questioning the desire and commitment of the players , coaching staff and even the fans won't do much to narrow the gap IMO.
                                Post wasn't directed at you. I sense an attitude of complacency. An attitude of better than we use to be is all we should want to be. An attitude that says we can't be the best because we haven't been the best.

Keep expecting to be second best and you will be much less than that. NDSU approached the move to DI expecting to be the best. They succeeded, SDSU has not.

I want more. I want better.

Comment

Working...
                                X