Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Eastern Washington

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
    Might as well ask this question here. Is Cheney, Wash., named for Dick Cheney's family, and if so, should our fans be concerned about wayward shotgun blasts on Saturday?
    No, named after Benjamin P. Cheney who funded the 10k grant back in the 1880s to start a teacher's academy that evolved into EWU.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      Is Oregan State that bad, or is Vernon Adams and EWU that good? I not much of x and o guy but Vernon does look like something that will be hard to contain this Saturday. We definitely need to keep EWU off the field, and control the ball.
      Both... OSU was kind of like the FBS mirror of EWU this year... great offense, sub par defense. Adams is legit though.

Comment

Originally posted by clawman View Post
        This will be the 4th consecutive away game, 3 of which have been rather long trips. Do you feel that will adversely affect the Jacks performance?
        No. The Jacks have been playing very well on the road. They've been playing with focus and determination ever since this road stretch began. There's no reason to think that playing on a red rug will change that.
        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by SE174 View Post
          No, named after Benjamin P. Cheney who funded the 10k grant back in the 1880s to start a teacher's academy that evolved into EWU.
          Thanks, how many townies make up the population of Cheney, in other words, non-student, full time residents?

Comment

Originally posted by SE174 View Post
            The same people that say that EWU only passes. Our run/pass ratio was very close to 50/50 this year, and we averaged 5.0 yards per carry.
            Good to know. Thanks for pointing out. This should be a good game.

Comment

Is Oregan State that bad, or is Vernon Adams and EWU that good? I not much of x and o guy but Vernon does look like something that will be hard to contain this Saturday. We definitely need to keep EWU off the field, and control the ball.
              Oregon State was pretty decent this year...not great, but they were a solid PAC12 school.

Obviously, they played poorly that day...but Vernon Adams is pretty darn good.

Comment

l
                Thanks, how many townies make up the population of Cheney, in other words, non-student, full time residents?
                looks to be 11k for Cheney but it is 17 miles from Spokane pop. 210k. The county sits at 475k plus according to wikipedia.

Comment

Originally posted by EWURanger View Post
                  EWU's stadium technically only holds around 9k. They usually have temp seating in the north end zone which will bring that up to somewhere around 10,500, with the biggest crowd ever there being around 12k. So all things considered, our stadium is quite small. Anything over 10k is above official capacity and considered a good crowd. We don't usually draw as well during the playoffs as we would during the regular season, especially in the opening rounds. I suppose the biggest reasons are the adverse weather, and the fact that classes aren't usually in session. We draw the best crowds from September through November. My expectation is that we'll draw somewhere around 9k for our game with SDSU, and that'd be a "decent" crowd for us.

On the stadium, EWU is currently in the governance (silent) phase of a stadium expansion called the Gateway Project. It includes the construction of a massive complex on the west side of the stadium which would increase capacity to 18,000+, and would include new locker rooms, athletic offices, commercial space, hall of fame, etc.

Beautiful facility. Nice job by the school to have a great stadium. Sorry, I know this has been said many times, but I cannot get through the red turf, it is not good to look at.

Comment

I've come to know the EWU coaches quite well and EVERY coach says the same story when asked what recruits say about it, they LOVE the red turf. It has become a huge recruiting advantage.

Comment

Better dead than RED!

But seriously Good luck.

Comment

I've come to know the EWU coaches quite well and EVERY coach says the same story when asked what recruits say about it, they LOVE the red turf. It has become a huge recruiting advantage.
                        And why would the coach say it or tell you any differently (I would expect coaches to say that)? Huge recruiting advantage? Really?

Comment

Gotta keep in mind. Jacks fans HATE red.

Comment

Did not USD beat EWU in the Dome a couple years back? If so I like our chances.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
                              Beautiful facility. Nice job by the school to have a great stadium. Sorry, I know this has been said many times, but I cannot get through the red turf, it is not good to look at.
                              That's the artists rendition of the planned stadium...not built yet.

The current stadium is named Roos Field. I think it was a gift from UMKC.

Comment

Did not USD beat EWU in the Dome a couple years back? If so I like our chances.
                                Yes. In 2011, #1 ranked EWU, the defending FCS champs, were mistreated to the tune of 30-17 by Ed Meierkort's Coyotes. Meierkort's teams defended the DakotaDome very well during his tenure.

Comment

Working...
                                X