Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SDSU at MSU

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    It might be time to consider that the accuracy problems still might be related to the thumb injury. I know surgery was done,but surgery doesn't always return things back to what they were pre-injury. I guess I don't remember Sumner over-throwing receivers like this during his big freshman year when he was throwing to Moss,Rollin and company.
    I think several factors are at play. It probably isn't fair for me to appear to place blame on Austin alone for the extremely poor passing efficiency and absolute lack of any concern for defenses to worry for one minute about the Jackrabbit passing game. There are problems at WR, TE and on the Oline as well as at QB. Time to get back on the field and compete.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
      Do the coaches even give him the ability to do that? He's always looking at the sidelines to check plays. I really wonder if they let him make those calls.

That 3rd and 1 where we have one guy in a route off of play action? Play should have never been run. It has been pointed out to me by a former SDSU player that MSU was in Cover 2. The former player who explained this to me said that play should not have been ran given the defense's look. Now, do we even give Sumner the opportunity to audible there? If not, why not? If not, how do we not see that from the coaching perspective? This is just one in a number of situations from Saturday that left a lot of people shaking their heads. Coaches did not put our guys in the best positions to win on Saturday.

EDIT: We do need better efficiency out of the QB position though for sure.
      These questions would be asked of the coaches at most D1 schools by the media covering the team. The Jacks coaches get a pass from being asked tough questions.

Very good questions, I'm curious what the answer would be.

Also, very nice point about Austin's thumb injury. Could be.

Let me point out that Schneider was leading the conference in receptions not to long ago. Plus the other two have had great catches in their careers. Kool and Rollins were not world beaters. Especially Rollins. Moss was just that good in my opinion. Harris was almost as good as Moss before.

Comment

Not on here to stir the pot but in reference to Sumner overthrowing Hubert in the last quarter. I have the privelage to look at all offensive plays through a website and if you were to watch what I did you will see as soon as Hubert is to make his break on the post route he pulls his hamstring and therefore lets up. Just a little insight on what happened. Has Austin overshot some receivers yes. Is he allowed to call audibles at the line...no...that is why he is constantly looking at the sideline and therefore the coaches make the audibles. They did run alot of cover two, therefore the open part of the field would be the sideline behind the corners in front of the safeties. We threw the ball there once.

Comment

Originally posted by timeforachange View Post
          Not on here to stir the pot but in reference to Sumner overthrowing Hubert in the last quarter. I have the privelage to look at all offensive plays through a website and if you were to watch what I did you will see as soon as Hubert is to make his break on the post route he pulls his hamstring and therefore lets up. Just a little insight on what happened. Has Austin overshot some receivers yes. Is he allowed to call audibles at the line...no...that is why he is constantly looking at the sideline and therefore the coaches make the audibles. They did run alot of cover two, therefore the open part of the field would be the sideline behind the corners in front of the safeties. We threw the ball there once.

I thought at the beginning of fall practice TV wrote that they were going to give Austin this ability. this is not to doubt what was stated above. I think @ this point from my seat I would be willing to let Austin run it for a quarter and see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
            I thought at the beginning of fall practice TV wrote that they were going to give Austin this ability. this is not to doubt what was stated above. I think @ this point from my seat I would be willing to let Austin run it for a quarter and see how it goes.
            He couldn't do any worse...

Comment

IMHO I believe we should allow audibles at the line. Now the question is whether or not we have the athletes to make the plays that we need to make. I enjoyed watching the no huddle at Nebraska in the first quarter. Seems since then we havent really tried it again but yet it worked.

Comment

I'm not sure I'm understanding the debate here.

What is the difference on whether or not the coaches call the audible into Sumner or if Sumner calls the audible? Do ya'll think Sumner can see the defensive scheme better than the coordinators up in the box? If you all believe that, we should be having a different debate, one that calls for the immediate termination of a completely inept offensive coordinator.

On the flip side, I don't think allowing Sumner to audible himself is going to magically turn him into Peyton Manning. Letting a QB audible in Division 1 is definitely not the norm.....typically the changes come in from the sideline.

I'm of a firm belief that playcalling goes both ways. Yes, they called a pass on 3rd and 1 - typically a running situation. However, if the pass would have caught the defense napping and went for 6.......we'd be having a different discussion about the nature of our successful "out of the box" playcalling.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post

What is the difference on whether or not the coaches call the audible into Sumner or if Sumner calls the audible? Do ya'll think Sumner can see the defensive scheme better than the coordinators up in the box? If you all believe that, we should be having a different debate, one that calls for the immediate termination of a completely inept offensive coordinator.

On the flip side, I don't think allowing Sumner to audible himself is going to magically turn him into Peyton Manning. Letting a QB audible in Division 1 is definitely not the norm.....typically the changes come in from the sideline.

I'm of a firm belief that playcalling goes both ways. Yes, they called a pass on 3rd and 1 - typically a running situation. However, if the pass would have caught the defense napping and went for 6.......we'd be having a different discussion about the nature of our successful "out of the box" playcalling.
                  I agree about who should be calling audibles.

As far as play calling.... when you go 0-5 on 3rd. and 1 situations and 4 of those are pass plays, someone other than the defense is napping.

Comment

Whether it is Austin or not I believe any quarterback would have a better view and understanding of directly what the defense is doing on the field. Regardless of audibles our play calling is way too vanilla. There is no secret to what we are going to do every play. The film I watched we ran a total of 7 different plays with just moving the play to the opposite side and or motioning to the other side. Pathetic in my own mind if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                      I agree about who should be calling audibles.

As far as play calling.... when you go 0-5 on 3rd. and 1 situations and 4 of those are pass plays, someone other than the defense is napping.
                      This is the sentiment I have heard expressed from others as well. Guys that played and know a lot more than I do. I tend to agree.
                      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I think the last few posts have raised an interesting point.

The offense comes to the line quickly, gets set, and then everyone looks over to the sidelines for a play. Is that for the original play or an "audible/change"?

Why I bring this up is that I have never played the game and no about the same as the average armchair quarterback. It seems like the rationale behind it is to somehow keep the same defensive personnel on the field and hope that you have caught them in a mismatch. So, the play is sent in/changed to the defensive personnel and the snap can be made with 2-10 seconds on the clock.

My question is doesn't this style also lead into the hands of the defense? The defense shows one look and waits for the offense to make adjustments and then at the last second the defense shifts with not enough time left for the offense to make another change. Does that make any sense? Are we playing right into their hands?

I don't know. I'm just frustrated like everyone else. Want the team to succeed.

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                          I think the last few posts have raised an interesting point.

The offense comes to the line quickly, gets set, and then everyone looks over to the sidelines for a play. Is that for the original play or an "audible/change"?

Why I bring this up is that I have never played the game and no about the same as the average armchair quarterback. It seems like the rationale behind it is to somehow keep the same defensive personnel on the field and hope that you have caught them in a mismatch. So, the play is sent in/changed to the defensive personnel and the snap can be made with 2-10 seconds on the clock.

My question is doesn't this style also lead into the hands of the defense? The defense shows one look and waits for the offense to make adjustments and then at the last second the defense shifts with not enough time left for the offense to make another change. Does that make any sense? Are we playing right into their hands?

I don't know. I'm just frustrated like everyone else. Want the team to succeed.

SUPERBUNNY
                          I'm giving you kudos for your observation. When the offense hurries to the line, then backs off, that's exactly what they are doing. Hoping to create a mismatch. So the coaches in he box are supposed to evaluate that mismatch, call a play to the sidelines, then they give the signal to the field. From what I was taught, since the offense knows where the ball (action) is going, they supposedly have the upper hand. And don't get mad when I say this....but the problem is if you don't have the talent to do it, or the play calling from the box to maintain that advantage. I've only watched film on you, and your play calling is very suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                            I'm giving you kudos for your observation. When the offense hurries to the line, then backs off, that's exactly what they are doing. Hoping to create a mismatch. So the coaches in he box are supposed to evaluate that mismatch, call a play to the sidelines, then they give the signal to the field. From what I was taught, since the offense knows where the ball (action) is going, they supposedly have the upper hand. And don't get mad when I say this....but the problem is if you don't have the talent to do it, or the play calling from the box to maintain that advantage. I've only watched film on you, and your play calling is very suspect.
                            Thanks for the post. Doesn't make me mad. Just frustrated we are struggling so badly. Hope to turn it around this weekend and finish the season strong.

SUPERBUNNY
                            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

How is this for a play on 3rd and 1? Rush to the line, snap quickly, hand off to your Superstar Running Back, run right behind your All American left tackle.

Seems like a coach with Stig's experience should be capable of thinking of this play whether he is an offensive coordinator or not. Wide side, short side it don't matter.

Sometimes the coaches tend to over think things. Football isn't that complicated. Block, tackle, run the ball, low man wins. I know Witzman easily gets a 2 yard push against the lighter DE's of todays football.

Jacks had the same problem with 3rd and short even when Kyle Minnet was RB. Time to finally fix the problem.

The pass works when the defense is afraid of the threat of your run and has minimum 8 men in the box.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post

Plus on this subject - you guys are making it seem like rocket science.

Austin can count to 8. 8 men in the box - pass. 7 men in the box - run.

Waiting for the coaches takes to long. A defense advantage is that they can move. By the time the coaches relay the play, they've moved. Grade school stuff.

Also - home field advantage - for most teams - means the offense can hear Austin make the changes. It should technically be loud enough at CAS that the opposition on offense cannot audible. It drives me nuts at CAS that when it is third down, the crowd will get loud when the opposition is on offense, but they peak way before the opposition offense snaps the ball. The crowd should be loudest when the opposition is at the line so they can't have the QB audible.

I give Austin credit. I think he can count to 8. Eidness and Stig apparently don't think he can. Apparently the Jacks coaches are such control freaks that they cannot give up the control.

Comment

Working...
                                X