Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HOBO DAY GDT

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    What we need is another class of football.

Anybody else notice the clock didn't stop when Zenner caught the pass and ran out of bounds on our last drive? Hadn't seen that mentioned, maybe I'm crazy.

I also think its a little funny that half the posters in this thread call for more creative play calling, while the other half bemoan the fact we didn't run the ball for a 2 yard first down.

Pretty disappointing game on all fronts, IMO. I hope we can break 10K for the last two home games, but I wouldn't bet on it.
    The next 2 games on the road are back to the should win and must win games. The UNI game should bring 10K plus fans irregardless. UNI is another MVFC team that is an above average program. Assuming the weather is not miserable, the Jacks should expect even the casual fan to attend. The SIU loss is very disappointing-the season is not over and the chance of making the playoffs is not over. 2 wins on the road would go a long way to healing some of the problems of 3 losses in a row where 2 of those losses were not huge surprises on paper.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I think the Jacks are undersized on the Dline and at LB and slower in the secondary and at the receiver positions than most MVFC teams. I'm not saying less talented just not as big or fast as most of the other team's personnel. You can make up for some of that with preparation and toughness but when the other guys are bigger, stronger and faster they can wear you down.

It's only going to get tougher from here. On the road now for 2 weeks and then a top 5 or 10 team in UNI on Oct 26th. The loss Saturday puts a serious dent in the chances this Jackrabbit team makes the playoffs especially given the inconsistent play associated with the last 3 losses.

I have no idea what to expect Saturday at WIU. I think the Jacks could come out with a new found intensity and dominate but I expect it will be a 4 quarter, MVFC dog fight that comes down to the last possession. There is also the chance WIU buries the Rabbits early on. I don't envy the coaches and team captains this week as they try to learn from the last 3 losses while preparing for the biggest game of the year this Saturday.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        I think the Jacks are undersized on the Dline and at LB and slower in the secondary and at the receiver positions than most MVFC teams. I'm not saying less talented just not as big or fast as most of the other team's personnel. You can make up for some of that with preparation and toughness but when the other guys are bigger, stronger and faster they can wear you down.

It's only going to get tougher from here. On the road now for 2 weeks and then a top 5 or 10 team in UNI on Oct 26th. The loss Saturday puts a serious dent in the chances this Jackrabbit team makes the playoffs especially given the inconsistent play associated with the last 3 losses.

I have no idea what to expect Saturday at WIU. I think the Jacks could come out with a new found intensity and dominate but I expect it will be a 4 quarter, MVFC dog fight that comes down to the last possession. There is also the chance WIU buries the Rabbits early on. I don't envy the coaches and team captains this week as they try to learn from the last 3 losses while preparing for the biggest game of the year this Saturday.
        I'm concerned with the lack of intensity on defense. A few of our starters took seats for a bit because they were lacking intensity out there. Didn't seem to be a sense of urgency from the coaching staff down through the players. That was frustrating. I hope that is different Saturday. If not, we can pencil in a dog fight.

On offense, when you have ZZ and 2nd and 2 with two minutes to go near midfield, he needs to touch the ball on 2nd, or 3rd, or 4th down. I stand by my assessment that Eidsness needs his head examined if that is what we're going to do in that situation. A field goal was all we needed to tie and we had plenty of time. Get the ball in your best player's hands and get a first down.
        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
          On offense, when you have ZZ and 2nd and 2 with two minutes to go near midfield, he needs to touch the ball on 2nd, or 3rd, or 4th down. I stand by my assessment that Eidsness needs his head examined if that is what we're going to do in that situation. A field goal was all we needed to tie and we had plenty of time. Get the ball in your best player's hands and get a first down.
          The clock also stops with a 1st down until the ball is spotted. Gives us plenty of time to get to the line and at least spike the ball.

Comment

SIU was good I thought. And looking at their schedule they are good. Played Illinois yard for yard and lost by a touchdown. neck and neck with Eastern Illinois and Youngstown. Its just really competitive. Last year we won these tight games and it makes all the world of a difference in expectation and what not.

I think SDSU will be alright. Its not going to be the fluffy nice fantasy's we had pre-season. But if we can get into the playoffs at least, we might find a spark and go deep, who knows.

Comment

The last big D tackle I can remember playing for the Jacks was Schroder. He never got a lot of props, but he did a good job anchoring the D line. I think the Jacks just don't recruit big Defensive tackles. It is tough to get good, big Defensive tackles at the FCS level. But the Jacks should be able to get at least one run stuffer. Maybe slow of foot, but big and able to clog the middle on runs.

The Jacks also have been undersized at LB but their quickness in the past made up for their size. Most years, the linebackers are the position of strength for the Jacks. They very seldom went to nickel because the LB's were so quick they could keep up with the wide receivers. Anyone remember Domino?

I don't know if the secondary is slow. I do know that the Jacks usually gave a large cushion to the receivers, even when they had Cole Brodie type speed. I think it is a philosophy of the defense.

The upper Midwest is conducive to producing big, athletic offensive linemen. The strength of the team is the O-line; however, they didn't seem to have correct technique on Saturday. For some reason the Jacks couldn't block the 3-4 base defense as effectively as they have in the past on Saturday. Also, against NDSU, the Bison split their D tackles wide, and the Jacks never adjusted. The Bison have been getting away with this for years. So why don't the Jacks run it up the middle against that and take the 4 to 5 sure yards? The coaches need to step up and make adjustments. That is what they get paid for.

I also agree the Jacks lack a burner at wide receiver. They've usually always have had one. I can name two that tried out for the NFL. I'm wondering why they are missing a burner now?

Lastly - what is up with the QB? He seems to be regressing vs. progressing. I blame this on the coaches too. It is their job to make him progress.

Don't get me wrong. I am not calling for any coaches head. I think the 12.5 Million Dollar donation will naturally up the pressure on the coaches a lot. I also think that Stig as head coach can no longer ignore the offensive side of the team as he has for so many years. They needed points on Saturday. They have the skill players and the line to get them. Why can't they fix it?

Comment

This is just my assesment of the team as a whole and the coaches. First and foremost the Jacks are not as bad as people are saying. You have a couple missed plays here and there and that is the difference of two of the three losses. First of all why do we feel the need to have our d-line start 2 yards out from their opponent. By the time the running back gets the ball our d-lineman are pushed four yards back. Secondly why in the he** did Eidness not see that the middle of the field was open the entire game. Instead we dont throw to the middle of the field until we have 6:00 left in the fourth quarter and when we did we were 5 of 6. When you say Sumner is degressing can you not take a look and see that the receivers have as well? Call me what you want for sticking up for Sumner but the bottom line is he is the key to turning this thing around. For instance on three of his throws that were incomplete and the one that almost was picked Tief ran the wrong route so what do you expect? Just saying first and foremost its on the coaches for not implementing the type of style that would work for your quarterback. Spread the field use short passes as your run game. Use the middle of the field. Throw the ball more than 15 yards down the field. Has he missed on some downfield throws? Absolutely, but at the same time you cant just ignore the fact of what the team it.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                  I'm concerned with the lack of intensity on defense. A few of our starters took seats for a bit because they were lacking intensity out there. Didn't seem to be a sense of urgency from the coaching staff down through the players. That was frustrating. I hope that is different Saturday. If not, we can pencil in a dog fight.

This. Rep points.

Your line averages over 305 lbs. You have one of the best RB's, any level, in the country. You can't get 2 yards with ZZ, stop the clock after first down, and go? They do practice these situations don't they?

Comment

Originally posted by timeforachange View Post
                    This is just my assesment of the team as a whole and the coaches. First and foremost the Jacks are not as bad as people are saying. You have a couple missed plays here and there and that is the difference of two of the three losses. First of all why do we feel the need to have our d-line start 2 yards out from their opponent. By the time the running back gets the ball our d-lineman are pushed four yards back. Secondly why in the he** did Eidness not see that the middle of the field was open the entire game. Instead we dont throw to the middle of the field until we have 6:00 left in the fourth quarter and when we did we were 5 of 6. When you say Sumner is degressing can you not take a look and see that the receivers have as well? Call me what you want for sticking up for Sumner but the bottom line is he is the key to turning this thing around. For instance on three of his throws that were incomplete and the one that almost was picked Tief ran the wrong route so what do you expect? Just saying first and foremost its on the coaches for not implementing the type of style that would work for your quarterback. Spread the field use short passes as your run game. Use the middle of the field. Throw the ball more than 15 yards down the field. Has he missed on some downfield throws? Absolutely, but at the same time you cant just ignore the fact of what the team it.
                    I wrote I blame this on the coaches, not Sumner. I stand by this and agree they should play to his strength as you state above. I think Sumner is a great PROVEN QB. I'm questioning, why don't the coaches use him correctly?

Sumner will end up as probably the best Jackrabbit Quarterback of all time. And I liked Ryan Berry. Sumner has not had to take the heat like Ryan Berry took.

Comment

You have a couple missed plays here and there and that is the difference of two of the three losses.
                      Which other game would you be talking about?

Comment

No I am not saying anyone is blaming it on him...just wish they would use his strengths. You have to utilize what your receivers can and cannot do. Thats all.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                          The last big D tackle I can remember playing for the Jacks was Schroder. He never got a lot of props, but he did a good job anchoring the D line. I think the Jacks just don't recruit big Defensive tackles. It is tough to get good, big Defensive tackles at the FCS level. But the Jacks should be able to get at least one run stuffer. Maybe slow of foot, but big and able to clog the middle on runs.

The Jacks also have been undersized at LB but their quickness in the past made up for their size. Most years, the linebackers are the position of strength for the Jacks. They very seldom went to nickel because the LB's were so quick they could keep up with the wide receivers. Anyone remember Domino?

I don't know if the secondary is slow. I do know that the Jacks usually gave a large cushion to the receivers, even when they had Cole Brodie type speed. I think it is a philosophy of the defense.

The upper Midwest is conducive to producing big, athletic offensive linemen. The strength of the team is the O-line; however, they didn't seem to have correct technique on Saturday. For some reason the Jacks couldn't block the 3-4 base defense as effectively as they have in the past on Saturday. Also, against NDSU, the Bison split their D tackles wide, and the Jacks never adjusted. The Bison have been getting away with this for years. So why don't the Jacks run it up the middle against that and take the 4 to 5 sure yards? The coaches need to step up and make adjustments. That is what they get paid for.

I also agree the Jacks lack a burner at wide receiver. They've usually always have had one. I can name two that tried out for the NFL. I'm wondering why they are missing a burner now?

Lastly - what is up with the QB? He seems to be regressing vs. progressing. I blame this on the coaches too. It is their job to make him progress.

Don't get me wrong. I am not calling for any coaches head. I think the 12.5 Million Dollar donation will naturally up the pressure on the coaches a lot. I also think that Stig as head coach can no longer ignore the offensive side of the team as he has for so many years. They needed points on Saturday. They have the skill players and the line to get them. Why can't they fix it?
                          I just have to answer some of this. For one NDSUs d tackles line up and take off like they are running the 60 meter dash. They get the momentum flowing back at the offense. Makes the linebackers job easy to stuff runs, which they do. SDSUs tackles don't do that, they line up 2 yards off the ball and come out of their stance timidly sometimes. Its irritated me for years. Everything starts there.

As for SDSUs wide outs are a nightmare to me. Schneider is good for sure, made big strides. But Tief, Wesley, and Hubert are NSIC type players. Its perfectly fine, but thats the type of talent they are.

There's no way in hell Sumner is regressing. He's just a part of the team like everyone else. Everybody elses job influences each other. You throw Moss out there and Rollin as the 2 and suddenly he's vastly a better QB. Its that simple.

I didn't like the play calling Saturday, but I'm just not sure what you can do with the wide outs we have. It's crazy how much defenses look like they're concentrating on the run, yet SDSU can't really make them pay for it. Idk though losing kind of sucks.

Comment

All I can say is I hope the players and coaches feel half as pissed off as I still do two days later. For some reason this loss really stings me and I can't get the taste out of my mouth from it. If they don't come out with some fire and attitude this weekend .... they have the talent, it is time for the coaches first to step up and call a good game in all aspects, and for the players to respond. GO put a hurt on WIU and get back some confidence and swagger. (I honestly put this loss on the coaches more than the players)

I keep telling myself this season isn't over, SDSU can still make the playoffs, BUT there is NO margin for error now.

Comment

Um... what?

I'm all for scheming to players' strengths, but good players fit into almost any system. Spreading the field and abandoning the run game with Zenner in the backfield would be insane.
                              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I am not saying abondan the run game by any means. But incorporate different plays into the system. Everything we do is out routes. Did anyone else see how well we drove the ball when we threw down the middle of the field in the fourth quarter. There defense did not change throughout the whole game its just that it was open. Thats poor game calling I believe.

Comment

Working...
                                X