Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HOBO DAY GDT

Originally posted by discoDancinJackrabbit View Post
    I just have to answer some of this. For one NDSUs d tackles line up and take off like they are running the 60 meter dash. They get the momentum flowing back at the offense. Makes the linebackers job easy to stuff runs, which they do. SDSUs tackles don't do that, they line up 2 yards off the ball and come out of their stance timidly sometimes. Its irritated me for years. Everything starts there.

As for SDSUs wide outs are a nightmare to me. Schneider is good for sure, made big strides. But Tief, Wesley, and Hubert are NSIC type players. Its perfectly fine, but thats the type of talent they are.

There's no way in hell Sumner is regressing. He's just a part of the team like everyone else. Everybody elses job influences each other. You throw Moss out there and Rollin as the 2 and suddenly he's vastly a better QB. Its that simple.

I didn't like the play calling Saturday, but I'm just not sure what you can do with the wide outs we have. It's crazy how much defenses look like they're concentrating on the run, yet SDSU can't really make them pay for it. Idk though losing kind of sucks.
    Remember when Danny Batten used to take off like a rocket and get the momentum flowing right back at the offense? And he was a DE not a DT. Did the Jacks change scheme due to talent level changes? Aren't the coaches accountable for recruiting. I couldn't agree with you more about the DT's. I just remember Schroder as a mean, tough BIG dude who stopped the run up the middle. I mean you could QB sneak for 3 yards against NDSU and not get touched, that is how wide open their middle is.

Tief and Hubert have had plenty of chances to step up. They have the experience. Schnieder is what he is and he is good at what he is - a possession receiver. Why haven't they recruited better receivers? It isn't that hard of a position to recruit. And yes - MOSS!! Man o man would they rock with Dale Moss now. Rollins wasn't good until Moss played. Moss made everyone better. Think if he played for four years. Wow.

But remember - Stig is the same coach who had a NFL tight end in Colin Cochart and never featured him in the offense. That is why I'm saying Stig has to take more accountability for the offenses failing. This is the year the offense should be helping out the defense.

The stats and Win/Loss record says Sumner is regressing. - I didn't say it is his fault. He is running the system he is given.

Comment

Originally posted by timeforachange View Post
      This is just my assesment of the team as a whole and the coaches. First and foremost the Jacks are not as bad as people are saying. You have a couple missed plays here and there and that is the difference of two of the three losses. First of all why do we feel the need to have our d-line start 2 yards out from their opponent. By the time the running back gets the ball our d-lineman are pushed four yards back. Secondly why in the he** did Eidness not see that the middle of the field was open the entire game. Instead we dont throw to the middle of the field until we have 6:00 left in the fourth quarter and when we did we were 5 of 6. When you say Sumner is degressing can you not take a look and see that the receivers have as well? Call me what you want for sticking up for Sumner but the bottom line is he is the key to turning this thing around. For instance on three of his throws that were incomplete and the one that almost was picked Tief ran the wrong route so what do you expect? Just saying first and foremost its on the coaches for not implementing the type of style that would work for your quarterback. Spread the field use short passes as your run game. Use the middle of the field. Throw the ball more than 15 yards down the field. Has he missed on some downfield throws? Absolutely, but at the same time you cant just ignore the fact of what the team it.
      Let's not forget we win as a team and lose as a team... Austin would probably be the first one to admit he missed some throws.. Our Wr's would probably say the same thing if they dropped a ball or misread a coverage. Our O-Lineman would probably admit to a missed block or assignment. We could say the same for the defensive personnel as well.. They are not professionals!! The next time a pro drops a ball or a QB doesn't hit a WR that is open what would u say?? Maybe we all need to keep this in perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by common sense rabbit View Post
        Let's not forget we win as a team and lose as a team... Austin would probably be the first one to admit he missed some throws.. Our Wr's would probably say the same thing if they dropped a ball or misread a coverage. Our O-Lineman would probably admit to a missed block or assignment. We could say the same for the defensive personnel as well.. They are not professionals!! The next time a pro drops a ball or a QB doesn't hit a WR that is open what would u say?? Maybe we all need to keep this in perspective.
        No - because whether you like it or not - DI football BCS or FCS is big time. It is all about winning and $$$.

The Administration wants a winner and they are proving that by the way they are stepping up. Look at the accomplishments the Administration has made in the past 5 years.

The players are D1 athletes. Their scholarships are paying them to perform. I think they don't get paid enough personally.

I'd agree with what you said if this was High School or DIII football. I don't agree with you since it is DI football.

Jacks fans deserve a winner and a team that can win the League and make a run in the playoffs. Just like our neighbors to the North do.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
          What we need is another class of football.

Anybody else notice the clock didn't stop when Zenner caught the pass and ran out of bounds on our last drive? Hadn't seen that mentioned, maybe I'm crazy.

I also think its a little funny that half the posters in this thread call for more creative play calling, while the other half bemoan the fact we didn't run the ball for a 2 yard first down.

Pretty disappointing game on all fronts, IMO. I hope we can break 10K for the last two home games, but I wouldn't bet on it.
          Obviously,(to most anyway) calling for a 2 yd. run in that particular situation was to secure a first down and extend the drive and more importantly,the game.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
            Obviously,(to most anyway) calling for a 2 yd. run in that particular situation was to secure a first down and extend the drive and more importantly,the game.
            Bingo. Just get the damn first down and move the sticks. The first down was there over left guard on 3rd and 4th down for sure.

EDIT: I must spread rep or you'd get some.
            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
              Remember when Danny Batten used to take off like a rocket and get the momentum flowing right back at the offense? And he was a DE not a DT. Did the Jacks change scheme due to talent level changes? Aren't the coaches accountable for recruiting. I couldn't agree with you more about the DT's. I just remember Schroder as a mean, tough BIG dude who stopped the run up the middle. I mean you could QB sneak for 3 yards against NDSU and not get touched, that is how wide open their middle is.

Tief and Hubert have had plenty of chances to step up. They have the experience. Schnieder is what he is and he is good at what he is - a possession receiver. Why haven't they recruited better receivers? It isn't that hard of a position to recruit. And yes - MOSS!! Man o man would they rock with Dale Moss now. Rollins wasn't good until Moss played. Moss made everyone better. Think if he played for four years. Wow.

But remember - Stig is the same coach who had a NFL tight end in Colin Cochart and never featured him in the offense. That is why I'm saying Stig has to take more accountability for the offenses failing. This is the year the offense should be helping out the defense.

The stats and Win/Loss record says Sumner is regressing. - I didn't say it is his fault. He is running the system he is given.
              Tiefenthaler and Hubert have made some HUGE catches throughout the courses of their careers. Tiefenthaler caught 4 passes during the game winning drive at SIU last year, including the winning touchdown.

I'm all for getting better, but we don't need to go throwing players under the bus to do that, IMO.

From my perspective, our receivers are pretty good at doing what they are asked to do (I'm not sure if there is a better set of blocking receivers in the country). They can't just go run a fly route when they feel like it to make something happen.

We are 90th in total defense and 61st in total offense. Bottom line, we are an average to below average football team right now.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

No - because whether you like it or not - DI football BCS or FCS is big time. It is all about winning and $$$.

The Administration wants a winner and they are proving that by the way they are stepping up. Look at the accomplishments the Administration has made in the past 5 years.

The players are D1 athletes. Their scholarships are paying them to perform. I think they don't get paid enough personally.

I'd agree with what you said if this was High School or DIII football. I don't agree with you since it is DI football.

Jacks fans deserve a winner and a team that can win the League and make a run in the playoffs. Just like our neighbors to the North do.
                Division 1AA and its not all about $$. If that was the case our coaches would be paid better.. I'm guessing here but are probably vastly underpaid compared to most at the same level.... Ferentz at Iowa over 3 million a year.. Stig probably 150,000 or close to that... We play a very good level of football but its not big time like many other FBS programs. Everyone wants a winner and totally understand that.. The Jacks have a very good program with many talented athletes and fine young men... I believe our coaches are as well...

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                  I understand, but if we ran it and didn't get the first down (or fumbled AGAIN) there would be a flood of posters complaining how bland our playcalling is... I'm not saying either play call is right or wrong, just that people will complain either way after a loss.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                    Bingo. Just get the damn first down and move the sticks. The first down was there over left guard on 3rd and 4th down for sure.

EDIT: I must spread rep or you'd get some.
                    This. Again. Run right behind your Senior left guard Parker. First down.

I know Witzman was banged up. I wonder if this is why they didn't run it left. Then run it right behind your 320 lb. right guard.

Comment

Originally posted by common sense rabbit View Post
                      Sumner could be and has to be better. I think he'd be the first guy to admit that. 3rd year starting, already holds the passing yardage record for a career, working with the first team offense in practice every day the last 3 years. Yet, I don't get the sense that he is the team leader and the guy everyone is looking to take the team to the top of the MVFC and national championship. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming Sumner for the recent struggles of this team. He is a very good QB I just think he could be and should be great, he has championship ability that I don't think he is realizing.

No doubt in my mind (the expert I am) that our scheme isn't best suited for him. I have been a vocal critic of the pistol offense at SDSU. It just doesn't seem to work for the Jackrabbits. Zenner gets more yards when Sumner is under center. One of the biggest issues with Sumner is holding the ball too long. The Oline is giving him time and the receivers are getting open (sometimes) and he is simply holding it too long. I think the coaches feel like he has enough experience to allow him to make that 3rd or 4th read. I think he might be better off with a simpler, shorter early down passing game. Hell if I know for sure. Its been a frustrating season to say the least.

I'm worried about this team, my confidence has definitely wavered. SDSU is at the bottom of the MVFC as it stands today so there is only one way to go.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

For 80% of FCS football, making the playoffs is winning. We've made the playoffs 2 times in the last 4 seasons despite facing the 2 time defending national champion every season plus the rest of the MVFC. If NDSU was as bad as USD the last 4 years, we would think we were hot sh!t.

I'm not saying we should be satisfied, but living in the Dakotas has a tendency to skew perspectives when it comes to football.

Comment

Tiefenthaler and Hubert have made some HUGE catches throughout the courses of their careers. Tiefenthaler caught 4 passes during the game winning drive at SIU last year, including the winning touchdown.

I'm all for getting better, but we don't need to go throwing players under the bus to do that, IMO.

From my perspective, our receivers are pretty good at doing what they are asked to do (I'm not sure if there is a better set of blocking receivers in the country). They can't just go run a fly route when they feel like it to make something happen.

We are 90th in total defense and 61st in total offense. Bottom line, we are an average to below average football team right now.
                          True about Tief and Hubert. They have made some big catches. I wrote that wrong and apologize. They are two fine players and I didn't mean top throw them under the bus.

What I was trying to say - the Jacks traditionally had at least one burner at wide out. When the coaches see we are lacking one, they need to go out and recruit one. I my humble opinion, they should be recruiting one FAST WR per year.

Tief and Hubert are similar type players. They need a burner WR to compliment them, like Schneider does as the big, possession receiver. I've seen both Tief and Hubert hang onto the ball after some very hard knocks thru their career.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you can't coach speed. - And they are supposed to be Jackrabbits after all.

Comment

I going to let all you guys and gals sort it out. I don't like being 3-3 at this point but that's where are at. We just got to get better.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                              Sumner could be and has to be better. I think he'd be the first guy to admit that. 3rd year starting, already holds the passing yardage record for a career, working with the first team offense in practice every day the last 3 years. Yet, I don't get the sense that he is the team leader and the guy everyone is looking to take the team to the top of the MVFC and national championship. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming Sumner for the recent struggles of this team. He is a very good QB I just think he could be and should be great, he has championship ability that I don't think he is realizing.

No doubt in my mind (the expert I am) that our scheme isn't best suited for him. I have been a vocal critic of the pistol offense at SDSU. It just doesn't seem to work for the Jackrabbits. Zenner gets more yards when Sumner is under center. One of the biggest issues with Sumner is holding the ball too long. The Oline is giving him time and the receivers are getting open (sometimes) and he is simply holding it too long. I think the coaches feel like he has enough experience to allow him to make that 3rd or 4th read. I think he might be better off with a simpler, shorter early down passing game. Hell if I know for sure. Its been a frustrating season to say the least.

I'm worried about this team, my confidence has definitely wavered. SDSU is at the bottom of the MVFC as it stands today so there is only one way to go.
                              KUlaw Jack and you are on the money today! Outstanding post. Great summary.

I'd give both of you more rep points but the forum won't let me.

Comment

Great Post: I agree, our receivers are more than adequate, and we have a hell of a QB/Offensive line. How many receivers start for 4 years and end their careers in the top ten all time charts when they walk on anywhere in the country? Most receivers cant stay healthy enough to survive 4 years anywhere at any level, let alone start for 40 straight games!
                                Your point on blocking shows a lot of insight on your part....when zenner busts another 45-50 yard run, look around the field and see who is taking on the corners and linebackers who never seem to get a great angle or get up enough speed to catch him, maybe it was due to the fact that his receivers are doing their jobs!

Keep the faith people, this is a good team who will only get stronger as we go. There are things that need fixed and we have smart coaches and players who will get it fixed. When we put this thing together, watch out! Go Jacks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                Jackolantern

Comment

Working...
                                X