Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HOBO DAY GDT

Originally posted by common sense rabbit View Post
    Division 1AA and its not all about $$. If that was the case our coaches would be paid better.. I'm guessing here but are probably vastly underpaid compared to most at the same level.... Ferentz at Iowa over 3 million a year.. Stig probably 150,000 or close to that... We play a very good level of football but its not big time like many other FBS programs. Everyone wants a winner and totally understand that.. The Jacks have a very good program with many talented athletes and fine young men... I believe our coaches are as well...
    I don't know, but I think $150,000 per year plus benefits isn't bad. What does Bohl get paid? Stig and the assistants need to get paid better. The Administration is working on this. The 12.5 Million donation and the Dykhoff Center is going a long ways to providing this. Don't underestimate how much this will help recruitment. And yes - it is about the $$$. Otherwise SDSU wouldn't bother. The football team brings great exposure to the University. DI makes SDSU big time.

What is 5 years tuition, books, and room and board at SDSU worth? $80,000? $90,000? I don't know, but I'd have taken it if I had the athletic ability of the Jack's players.
    I know as freshman, most of them don't get 100% full ride. But by the time they play and contribute to the team, most of them are on a full ride. Say 2cnd or 3rd year. And yes, the majority of them are 5 year commitments.

And give Stig his props - his players always win the Valley trophy for GPA. That is worth a lot. I give him full credit for that. They recruit Student Athletes. I hope with them becoming more big time that they can keep this up. I'd suspect that Bohl sacrifices quite a bit of GPA for athletic ability. Just my guess...

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
      I'd suspect that Bohl sacrifices quite a bit of GPA for athletic ability. Just my guess...

I know it is not PC, but I have no problem with this - and I know I'm not alone. We have all seen the amount of activity threads about academics get here. They are blips on the radar among threads like this. There's a balance to be had and I think we do a good job with it at SDSU, but the "just win baby" mantra also has some merits.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
        I know it is not PC, but I have no problem with this - and I know I'm not alone. We have all seen the amount of activity threads about academics get here. They are blips on the radar among threads like this. There's a balance to be had and I think we do a good job with it at SDSU, but the "just win baby" mantra also has some merits.
        Comes with the territory of being big time D1 college football.

But SDSU does have some easy majors along with the tough ones. A lot of Stig's players take the tough majors. No problem having smart football players either.

Plus since when has anyone in South Dakota been PC? What would Jim Langer do should be the standard.

Comment

I actually missed my first Hobo Day in 9 years and after reading through this thread I'm glad I did. I was frustrated enough after leaving the NDSU game. Some themes that are emerging are...
          -D-Line is too small and the scheme of having them 2 yards off the ball is not working.
          -Sumner, the o-line, and the offensive coordinator need to have better games and the receivers are too slow.
          -We need to recruit better.
          -Special teams is a mess.
          -The future is bright with a new stadium!

At this point in the season, maybe we are who we are? IDK. We had high expectations before the season started and maybe we can still reach it. The team does however need to clean up the play and execute. I think the talent is there, but the coaches have to put the players in positions to make plays and then the players actually have to make them. Sounds simple, but probably more complicated than that.
          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
            I actually missed my first Hobo Day in 9 years and after reading through this thread I'm glad I did. I was frustrated enough after leaving the NDSU game. Some themes that are emerging are...
            -D-Line is too small and the scheme of having them 2 yards off the ball is not working.
            -Sumner, the o-line, and the offensive coordinator need to have better games and the receivers are too slow.

At this point in the season, maybe we are who we are? IDK. We had high expectations before the season started and maybe we can still reach it. The team does however need to clean up the play and execute. I think the talent is there, but the coaches have to put the players in positions to make plays and then the players actually have to make them. Sounds simple, but probably more complicated than that.

Nah, you really arent glad you missed it. Win or lose, im glad im there. We were up at 4am , so we could stop in Sf and drop something off at our kids and then make it to the parade. It was cold during the parade and the game wasnt too bad. Met some friends in SF to eat and then spent some time with grandkids after game. Got back to Ethan at 9:30 and i had to be up at 4am cause i had to work Sunday. Its still all worth it, no matter the outcome of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              Maybe the team should focus more on "doing the right thing" then getting hyped up over new color uniforms. Also 11K if I heard right for hobo day attendance is rather pathetic and we as fans sure didn't do our part to cheer um on. No cheering or noise from the crowd and the deep sure didn't look fired up or play like they were trying to go 1-0.
              Hate to break this to you, but the players "getting hyped up over new color uniforms" has absolutely nothing to do with the loss. They were probably excited the first day that they saw them and then it was back to business. It's like saying the reason SDSU beat USD last year was because they wore special throwbacks. The two don't go hand-in-hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Comment

I think the Jacks have good talent. The team is just not very deep in some positions, most notably the D-line and LB. Injuries, a transfer and an ineligibility thinned the talent pool there, even before the season started. It would be nice to have another speedburner like JaRon Harris at receiver, but those guys are hard to come by. The game with SIU was entertaining because it was close. It just didn't go the right way. The season is not lost. And next year looks bright.
                This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                  Hate to break this to you, but the players "getting hyped up over new color uniforms" has absolutely nothing to do with the loss. They were probably excited the first day that they saw them and then it was back to business. It's like saying the reason SDSU beat USD last year was because they wore special throwbacks. The two don't go hand-in-hand.

The fact that you even had to make this point is sad. +rep for common sense.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post

I think the reason many of us are showing some frustration is that we truly believe we have more ability than the team is showing. Otherwise, we would just write in and talk only about recruiting and the new stadium. The one area that I believe is improved over last year is the punt team. I love the spread punt and haven't seen anyone close to blocking a punt and have not seen a long return (one was called back, though). This is a significant improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by discoDancinJackrabbit View Post
                      There's no way in hell Sumner is regressing. He's just a part of the team like everyone else. Everybody elses job influences each other. You throw Moss out there and Rollin as the 2 and suddenly he's vastly a better QB. Its that simple.

ding ding ding ding ding.........we have a winner. That is the biggest difference between freshman year and now. Moss made him who he was that year, in my opinion. I think we just expect more of him than what he is. My biggest frustration is that he still needs to improve on getting rid of the ball and avoiding the sack. Has had enough starts that this shouldn't be as much of an issue as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post

What I am saying is the players are focused more on tweeting about uniforms and rumors of new stadiums more then they were fired up for winning the most important game of the season.

Your right in the throw backs last year we sure played well. Infact this year we did too for the most part on D until the 4th qtr.

Maybe I didn't make it clear but my point was the team isn't focused on as you said going back to business, if what we saw saturday was getting back to business it was a very sad display. They sure didn't look interested in being there.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

What I am saying is the players are focused more on tweeting about uniforms and rumors of new stadiums more then they were fired up for winning the most important game of the season.

Your right in the throw backs last year we sure played well. Infact this year we did too for the most part on D until the 4th qtr.

Maybe I didn't make it clear but my point was the team isn't focused on as you said going back to business, if what we saw saturday was getting back to business it was a very sad display. They sure didn't look interested in being there.
                          I do agree about the focus and now with a MVCF championship and playoffs, Hobo Day might not carry the same weight as back in the 1950's. The Hobo Day game was really big as they alternated between USD and UND who were usually very competitive and winning that game usually meant a NCC title, but no playoff implications. I do think our guys were ready, but so was SIU. I kept thinking during the game, SIU wants this game more than we do, but they too had lost three close ones in a row so maybe there was extra motivation from that alone. Give Dale Lennon and Kaleb DeBoer some credit, their guys were ready to play more so than ours. We got to get better in Week 7.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            I do agree about the focus and now with a MVCF championship and playoffs, Hobo Day might not carry the same weight as back in the 1950's. The Hobo Day game was really big as they alternated between USD and UND who were usually very competitive and winning that game usually meant a NCC title, but no playoff implications. I do think our guys were ready, but so was SIU. I kept thinking during the game, SIU wants this game more than we do, but they too had lost three close ones in a row so maybe there was extra motivation from that alone. Give Dale Lennon and Kaleb DeBoer some credit, their guys were ready to play more so than ours. We got to get better in Week 7.
                            No arguement here, SIU game planned and executed much higher then we did, they looked like the team that wanted to win.

Here is what I am thinking is just how impressive we looked in our playoff game last year with EIU, We were physical and flying around the field and just steamrolled um, Made Eastern Ill look like they didnt belong in the playoffs, now we look like the team that is getting steamrolled, letting other teams out physical us and they direct the game more then we do.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Final thought, are they still wearing pink uniforms for making mistakes and such? because if they are still, 2/3 the team should be wearing pink practice jerseys all week. there were to many mental mistakes that just are not acceptable. If you play hard and play a smart, good game and get beat, thats ok, atleast you can say you did the best you could, but I dont think we have seen the best of what this team can offer. hopefully they find away to turn it around....soon.

Comment

Final thought, are they still wearing pink uniforms for making mistakes and such? because if they are still, 2/3 the team should be wearing pink practice jerseys all week. there were to many mental mistakes that just are not acceptable. If you play hard and play a smart, good game and get beat, thats ok, atleast you can say you did the best you could, but I dont think we have seen the best of what this team can offer. hopefully they find away to turn it around....soon.
                                They are still wearing pink jerseys. But I don't think they are for the purposes you are describing. Wearing a pink jersey is for someone who may have been late to a meeting, missed class, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X