Playoff Picture/MVC AQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Playoff Picture/MVC AQ

I love that bracket as well. I do think the Jacks have to be in.

This is a crazy year in the FCS...a 32 team bracket could be filled out with all the deserving teams out there. I predict that the meltdowns at AGS will be epic on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
      I could also see the Cal-Poly vs NAU winner in T St. place at Brookings. No way CAA deserves more than 3 this year and the Patriot league getting 2 when 1 of them is a bad Colgate team isn't right. BSC and MVFC should both get 3 but probably not 4.It would be a travesty for the MVFC to only get 2 or for Ind. St. to be selected instead of a team that beat them at home.
      I will be a huge NDSU and Youngstown St. fan on Sat leaving SDSU alone in 2nd place. No way we can be left out.Go Jacks!!
      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Maybe blowing USD out like NDSU did would help show the jury we are ready for the play offs. a squeeker and we might not get in. If their is a team that is left out I wouldnt be surprised if it is us. but if NDSU wins and we win, I dont see how we are the odd man out but i wouldnt bet that the committe sees things the same way we do. But really, having say 17K the last home game of the year and hopefully crushing its rival, that has to help the committe see we are here to support our team and will do so if they give us a home game.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Here is the selection committee as posted on AGS:

2012 Selection Committee
          Charles Cobb, Chair
          Director of Athletics
          Appalachian State University

Jeff Barber
          Director of Athletics
          Liberty University

Jeff Bourne
          Director of Athletics
          James Madison University

Charlene M. Johnson
          Director of Athletics
          South Carolina State University

Craig Coleman
          Director of Athletics
          Robert Morris University

Robert Hill
          Director of Athletics
          Stephen F. Austin State University

Mark Wilson
          Director of Athletics
          Tennessee Tech

Frank McLaughlin
          Associate Vice President
          Fordham University

Torre Chisholm
          Director of Athletics
          Portland State University

Ron Strollo
          Director of Athletics
          Youngstown State University

Tim Wabler
          Director of Athletics
          University of Dayton
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

East of the Mississippi and east coast bias ladies and gentleman. Fordham in in NY, RMU is in PA, JMU and Liberty in VA, App St. in NC.

Get ready for 4 or 5 CAA teams, 3 or 4 SoCon teams and 2 each at a max from the conferences with teams west of the Mississippi.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              East of the Mississippi and east coast bias ladies and gentleman. Fordham in in NY, RMU is in PA, JMU and Liberty in VA, App St. in NC.

Get ready for 4 or 5 CAA teams, 3 or 4 SoCon teams and 2 each at a max from the conferences with teams west of the Mississippi.
              Yep. SDSU, NDSU, and YSU have to win this weekend to make their decision a bit easier. Imagine the cluster if Illinois State and Indiana State win this weekend.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                Yep. SDSU, NDSU, and YSU have to win this weekend to make their decision a bit easier. Imagine the cluster if Illinois State and Indiana State win this weekend.
                Illinois St is in no matter what. It will be Indiana State, SDSU, or neither for the third spot.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                  Illinois St is in no matter what. It will be Indiana State, SDSU, or neither for the third spot.
                  Why is Illinois State such a shoe-in?

If they lost to NDSU, SDSU beats USD, and YSU beats Indiana State:

NDSU - 7-1 (10-1 overall)
                  SDSU - 6-2 (8-3)
                  ISUR - 5-3 (8-3)
                  ISUB - 5-3 (7-4)

SDSU would be the second place MVFC team, right? When both teams have 8 wins, it seems like it would be insane to leave out the one higher in conference standings.

Honestly, this stuff confuses the heck out of me. People are talking about SHSU possibly getting a seed and they have 7 DI wins, and they didn't even win their own conference. The Pioneer League could get 2 bids, and their league champion got beat soundly by a no win team in our league.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

You would have to think that the fact we lost by only 3 points at #1 NDSU would serve as a pretty significant tie-breaker.

Comment

Why is Illinois State such a shoe-in?If they lost to NDSU, SDSU beats USD, and YSU beats Indiana State:NDSU - 7-1 (10-1 overall)SDSU - 6-2 (8-3)ISUR - 5-3 (8-3)ISUB - 5-3 (7-4)SDSU would be the second place MVFC team, right? When both teams have 8 wins, it seems like it would be insane to leave out the one higher in conference standings.Honestly, this stuff confuses the heck out of me. People are talking about SHSU possibly getting a seed and they have 7 DI wins, and they didn't even win their own conference. The Pioneer League could get 2 bids, and their league champion got beat soundly by a no win team in our league.
                      They're in because of an FBS win. My opinion though. I agree with you that I don't understand how Sam Houston can even get into the playoffs with 7 wins. It's their fault they played two FBS teams. Same with Indiana State, who played an FBS and a D2 team.
                      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

I know one person on the selection committee, and although he is fairly tight lipped about things, there is one component to this that hasn't been discussed much. And that is geographics. That can come into play because of the expense occurred by the NCAA in transporting teams across the country. They will do their best to hold costs down. I asked him about your situation, and you are all correct, on the bubble as he sees it. His response was "win and control what they can control".

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                          I know one person on the selection committee, and although he is fairly tight lipped about things, there is one component to this that hasn't been discussed much. And that is geographics. That can come into play because of the expense occurred by the NCAA in transporting teams across the country. They will do their best to hold costs down. I asked him about your situation, and you are all correct, on the bubble as he sees it. His response was "win and control what they can control".
                          Great point on geography, although it is interesting that AD's give a rip about what costs the NCAA incurs. Basically, he's saying that any team west of the Mississippi is going to have to do more based solely on geography to get into the field. Dumb, it should be league champs and the next best x number of teams. Makes me wonder if a similar metric is used in determining the NCAA basketball tournament field...

Comment

Great point on geography, although it is interesting that AD's give a rip about what costs the NCAA incurs. Basically, he's saying that any team west of the Mississippi is going to have to do more based solely on geography to get into the field. Dumb, it should be league champs and the next best x number of teams. Makes me wonder if a similar metric is used in determining the NCAA basketball tournament field...
                            I don't think he was making a case on east vs. west. I think what he was trying to say was balance, all four corners. My opinion is if it comes down to 3 teams for 1 spot, and each one could build an argument for being in, then I believe, based on what he says, it will come down to geographical. The other point raised in here was what if you pound the Yotes by 50 (and that could happen), I don't think it enhances your chances. For your sake, IF you win, I hope you get in. It would be awfully disappointing not to be included. FWIW, back in 78 when we WON the league, and they took UNO instead of us because we had 4 losses, 2 to D-1 schools. So committees can be funky. I will say this, even though I am a true red blooded Coyote, if you win, you deserve to get in. So good luck. ( I now have to go back to smack )

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                              I will be a huge NDSU and Youngstown St. fan on Sat leaving SDSU alone in 2nd place. No way we can be left out.Go Jacks!!
                              If this was Facebook I would give this comment a "Like".

Comment

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
                                If this was Facebook I would give this comment a "Like".
                                Agreed. Here is my angry rant I posted in AGS:
                                Here's my biggest beef regarding the MVFC predictions I've seen. People have ISU-R as a lock. However, if they lose to NDSU, they are only 5-3 in conference. If ISU-B and SDSU win, they will both by 6-2 relegating ISU-R to 4th place in the conference. Its ludicrous that the 4th place team will get in and SDSU may be on the outside looking in with a better conference record and the same overall record. ISU-R lost at home to both SIU (shut out) and Missouri State. Jacks beat both, SIU being on the road. SIU and SDSU both won at ISU-B. ISU-R does have an FBS win, but Eastern Michigan is garbage. Their only win is over Army, who is also terrible.

Now, if ISU-R beats NDSU, I have no beef, so this is all admittedly premature anyhow.
                                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Working...
                                X