Playoff Picture/MVC AQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Playoff Picture/MVC AQ

I come from the 'don't pi$$ on me and tell me it's raining' school.

If the NCAA is going to run the FCS tournament the way Triple Crown Sports runs the WNIT, then be honest about it.

Don't try and pretend there's an S-curve, and careful deliberations, and "SDSU and Stony Brook were the last two in", and all that garbage, when it's basically about money---maximizing money from colleges and minimizing money spent on travel.

And don't hand me any of this garbage about 'strength of schedule' and 'signature wins'. Don't treat us like idiots, and don't pretend that you couldn't marshal another set of rationalizations to justify saying Illinois State was one of the last two in, while giving SDSU a first round bye and then shipping them off to App. State. Just be honest: "We gave SDSU a first round game because they gave us a heckuva bid. We gave ISU a first round bye because their bid sucked."

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
      I come from the 'don't pi$$ on me and tell me it's raining' school.

If the NCAA is going to run the FCS tournament the way Triple Crown Sports runs the WNIT, then be honest about it.

Don't try and pretend there's an S-curve, and careful deliberations, and "SDSU and Stony Brook were the last two in", and all that garbage, when it's basically about money---maximizing money from colleges and minimizing money spent on travel.

And don't hand me any of this garbage about 'strength of schedule' and 'signature wins'. Don't treat us like idiots, and don't pretend that you couldn't marshal another set of rationalizations to justify saying Illinois State was one of the last two in, while giving SDSU a first round bye and then shipping them off to App. State. Just be honest: "We gave SDSU a first round game because they gave us a heckuva bid. We gave ISU a first round bye because their bid sucked."
      Honesty and the NCAA just don't mix. You've stated the facts. I'm resigned to accepting the decision because there is no other choice.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        Honesty and the NCAA just don't mix. You've stated the facts. I'm resigned to accepting the decision because there is no other choice.
        My problem is that the system is so flawed that it becomes a question not of basic fairness, but of somehow managing to get the draw to be unfair in your favor.

I mean, what would happen if they used an advanced metric to calculate seeds, and then went strictly with a higher seed hosts format? Would it cost more? Yes. Can the NCAA afford it? Do bears crap in the woods?

Would the advanced metric be open to questions/debates/arguments? Yes. But would it be at least narrow the range of complaints? Definitely.

I guess I'll just keep hoping that the Ed O'Bannon case succeeds...................

Comment

I do think ISUR and EIU should have played an opening round game, those two are 100 miles a part and the winner could have been flown anywhere which would have prevented the problem we have now. The committee must have fallen in love with their EMU and EIU wins, while I think SDSU is the better team on paper ISUR had the better resume.

Once SDSU got put into the first round the NCAA's playoff criteria basically guaranteed a matchup with the closest seed...NDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
            I do think ISUR and EIU should have played an opening round game
            The Redbird bid must've been way lower than SDSU's. Low enough to keep them from having a home game.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
              The Redbird bid must've been way lower than SDSU's. Low enough to keep them from having a home game.
              Isnt their stadium under construction too? Whats better a home game or a bye weeK? I am torn. I see benefits to both, getting to watch up play at home will be awesome but also having them rest and game plan would be great for a deep run hopefully. Either way we have not done anything to prove we get a better Draw. Would they send us out east and bring an east coast team to fargo? Now if their was a seeding process where they games have been seeded regardless of bid and they host team would be the higher the bid not the higher seed, I would totally be ok with that. Just need to go out and go 1-0 again not worry about NDSU.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

The home game is the part I don't understand, did SDSU get placed in the first round rather then the second because of a good home bid? Or did they get in because of a good bid? I think those are the questions that need to be figured out, because the bidding does factor in. If SDSU had NDSU's resume would NDSU have been granted more then 1 home game because of their bid? Its part of the game. If SDSU would have put this good of a bid in during the 09 campaign would they have gotten a better seed and a home game? Its just too many questions that need to be figured out. I guess win and move on.

You have to wonder if the athletic department at SDSU likes this? Would they rather have a first round bye and play on the road, or the home game, and rematch of a rival?

Comment

the more interesting matchup to me would have been for them to figure out a way for illstate and sdsu to play all I can say is go win. I will be there saturday

Comment

The bids for home games are sealed until the field is set. Of course it is obvious that some teams will bid big but I don't think the bidding made much of difference in this case.

Comment

• Re: Playoff Picture/MVC AQ

Do we know what the bids were/or will we ever find out? I rarely assume but figured Sell would go with the fact that we turned out well for the WNIT games and could probably make 10000 if its decent weather meaning no precip.....So i figured they would have offered at the point where it would be the break even point for us just to assure we could get a home game. I dont know if they school will really profit from the ticket revenue depending on what the bid was.....Are prices for games set by NCAA or the home school?

My idea, is to do a BCS style ranking that would account for polls, GPI SOS a weighted scale using the higher the rank top 25 the better seeding you can get, then follow the seeding with the best teams getting a bye the first round, then as everyone is matched up after that regardless of region and travel, and the NCAA would award the team with the better bid to host regardless of seeding number. sounds like a good way to figure things out a little more fairly.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

• Re: Playoff Picture/MVC AQ

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        I dont know if they school will really profit from the ticket revenue depending on what the bid was.....Are prices for games set by NCAA or the home school?
                        They're set by the NCAA. That's why the students have to shell out $10 for the games. The NCAA also gets some large fraction of the gate, something like 75%, regardless of your bid (but it contributes to or covers the the bid). I think the only "profit" that the home school can count on is concessions.

Seeded teams still bid as well, but they only have to guarantee the minimum bids, which I think are $30k, $40k, and $50k for 2nd, Qtrs, and Semis.

Comment

Working...
                        X