X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Future Schedules

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
    Oh goody, a MEAC cellar dweller... Didn't we learn not to schedule bottom dwelling HBCU's after the Arkansas Pine Bluff debacle?
    In the end any FCS game is best for scheduling purposes. It’s better for playoff consideration and seeding than a strong DII would be and it’s smarter than two FBS games that out you behind the 8 ball right out of the gate to get enough wins. That’s the unfortunate reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
      In the end any FCS game is best for scheduling purposes. It’s better for playoff consideration and seeding than a strong DII would be and it’s smarter than two FBS games that out you behind the 8 ball right out of the gate to get enough wins. That’s the unfortunate reality.
      I understand all that, but the optics of the UAPB were not good. I guess as long as Stig has learned to pull the starters earlier this time and not to throw at all it will be fine. I just think there is quite a bit of middle ground between an FBS team and a bottom of the barrel HBCU team.

Comment

I understand all that, but the optics of the UAPB were not good. I guess as long as Stig has learned to pull the starters earlier this time and not to throw at all it will be fine. I just think there is quite a bit of middle ground between an FBS team and a bottom of the barrel HBCU team.
        Not really when it comes to getting a one off home game, especially when the majority of East Coast teams are very hesitant to travel outside of their region.

Comment

You have to bring in a team that you know you can beat. They aren't going to schedule a middle/upper level team. Quantity of Ws is more important than Quality of Ws.
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
            You have to bring in a team that you know you can beat. They aren't going to schedule a middle/upper level team. Quantity of Ws is more important than Quality of Ws.
            Especially when playing in the meat grinder of the MVFC.

Comment

Wow, we've become like USD fans and wanting to schedule easy. I mean seriously, if we can't beat a bottom of the barrel Southland/OVC/Big South/etc team then the MVFC will chew us up and spit us out anyway. Now maybe we contacted all those teams about a one-of and they said no, then I guess fine. But no one here is going to convince me that a crappy bottom two of the MEAC game is anything but a joke. The only benefit is that it's a counter. Everything else about it sucks.

Comment

Wow, we've become like USD fans and wanting to schedule easy. I mean seriously, if we can't beat a bottom of the barrel Southland/OVC/Big South/etc team then the MVFC will chew us up and spit us out anyway. Now maybe we contacted all those teams about a one-of and they said no, then I guess fine. But no one here is going to convince me that a crappy bottom two of the MEAC game is anything but a joke. The only benefit is that it's a counter. Everything else about it sucks.
                I’m guessing this is the best they could do within the framework of scheduling.
                LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

If we had traded the UAPB's of the world for better FCS and FBS teams the last two years and lost, we wouldn't have been seeded. I think people complaining about Delaware State don't have a good grasp on the needs vs wants of the FCS playoff picture. Also, the SUU game was likely scheduled 3+ years ago, when they were top level Big Sky team. I think the typical formula is one home and home with a good FCS squad (see MSU and SUU), one home FCS patsy, one P5 FBS, MVFC. Go 8-3 with that schedule, and you can probably get a seed. Go 9-2, and you're a high seed. In a year with 12 games, having 6 home games is a must, and having an easy win in DSU plus an easy travel road game (and likely win) in Drake sets us up as well as possible for a 9-3 or better season. I have no problem with the DSU game. I'd have a huge problem if we scheduled UW-Oshkosh again, which is what happened in 2014 when we had a 12 game season. If you go 8-4 in a 12 game season with a non-counter win, you might get left out if the bubble is strong (see Indiana state 2018). Instead, we have an all D1 schedule, with 6 home games, and a very good chance to go 3-1 or 4-0 in the non-conference schedule. I don't see much to complain about with that.

Comment

The only way you're getting anyone better to come is if you sign a home-away contract. Would you rather play a better team and have 1 less home game every year? I wouldn't. Not worth it. What's the point?

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                      The only way you're getting anyone better to come is if you sign a home-away contract. Would you rather play a better team and have 1 less home game every year? I wouldn't. Not worth it. What's the point?
                      Or open the checkbook.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                        Or open the checkbook.
                        We better start having better crowds to have that sort of checkbook.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                          We better start having better crowds to have that sort of checkbook.

Lol. Fact. I don’t envy the schedulers at SDSU.

Comment

Apparently you haven’t paid attention to how schedules are made across the country. Your top teams have a “tough” H/H agreement, an FBS, and a patsy. That’s at FBS level too. Montana has a home DII for crying out loud. Look at ndsu’s schedule since the 2016 season. Then look at home UNI has scheduled. There’s a reason UNI has struggled in the first half of the season and it’s not just because they’re UNI. The goal is to prove yourselves in the playoffs, NOT in the first three weeks of the season. You can stick the USeD comment right where the sun don’t shine as well.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                              Lol. Fact. I don’t envy the schedulers at SDSU.
                              I dont either. What do you do when Delaware and I dont mean Delaware State tells you they will not travel to Brookings. I dont think we will ever get a return game from them although we went to their place. That's on them.

Comment

Let's apply your thought process to FCS teams. Say goodbye to playing anyone in the P5 and hello to MAC (maybe). More than likely you would be playing teams in CUSA or Sun Belt. Maybe you would enjoying going to those games, I will pass on that. If the Jacks can't schedule a Big12 or Big 10 team, then I would rather see them play at home.

Edit: You also assumed that they went straight to DSU and didn't try other options. I doubt that an east coast team was their first choice. Some one with less travel cost was probably their preference.
                                Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                                -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Working...
                                X