WIU - Hall of Fame Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WIU - Hall of Fame Game

I guess I'm going to be "that guy" if only because it's impossible to ignore the continued shortcomings of the passing game. And they lead to a lack of sustained drives. Austin played better, especially in the second half. But he missed a couple of guys, including an easy touchdown where he threw the ball behind the receiver. He's simply got to get better. He's regressed so much, it's stunning. That second interception was an amazing play by the defender, but you have to question the throw. We pass block OKish, but it's not great. I can't help but think a part of the problem in the passing game is that the receivers aren't finding ways go get open, aren't breaking away from defenders. I think that helps bog down the passing game. Now, everybody can bitch at me if they want, but I'm basically regurgitating what Stig and Tyler said on the post game, though I added my own two bits about the receivers. We need a well-rounded offense as the quality of competition increases. And that starts with Sumner.

Now, passing game notwithstanding, we looked sharp. The defense continues to be amazing. Sure hope the D linemen stay healthy and Andy is OK. Special teams, for the first time all season, looked good from top to bottom. We're in great, great shape thanks to the run game and the D. I've never seen anything like Zenner. And by that I'm referring to what many of us have mentioned before...the consistent long runs. It's just the strangest and most amazing thing I've ever seen. Lots of runs for five or less yards, and then...he's gone. Also, we cut down the number of penalties. I think we only had one. Great job there improving in that department.

Good game. The crowd seemed to be into it, and the game moved at a good pace. Loved the flyover pregame. That was great for military appreciation day. But I disagree with JackJD. I think they were supposed to come over just after the playing of the national anthem, so I think there was a glitch in the timing. But it all worked out well enough. And I'm just speculating on the timing.

Think we have a real opportunity to get a win at Northern Iowa Saturday. Let's get the passing game going and do it!
    Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

This team is playing to good to get such weak attendance like they had last night. Honestly it should be embaressing. I don't care about any excuses people will make. Weather was great and we are playing pretty awesome football. I feel bad for the team with the turn out they got.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
        Defense is clicking, parts of the special teams seems to be doing fine (other parts could use some work), the running game is awesome, just need to figure out the passing game. I don't care if Sumner is not 100%, he needs to make the throws, can't keep relying on turnovers, special teams, and long Zenner runs, especially with the schedule getting tougher.

A win is a win though, no matter how ugly they are.
        Another must win if the Jacks are to move on into the playoffs. I am a little surprised that our passing game has not had movre success considering the success our running game has had. One would think that the running game would have opened up a few more opportunities to throw the ball. The good thing is that I am sure our passing game will come around. Clearly the passing game is the missing link at this point.

5 and 1 is exactly where we should be with the schedule we have played. It will get a little more difficult as we start playing better teams.

Great win. GBGBGJ

Comment

I am like some others on this board who are a little concerned about the play of Sumner. The greatness of our running game so far is covering up for our lack of consistency in the passing game. There will be a game (or games) down the road when Zenner isn't breaking off 60 yard runs and we'll have to have our quarterback make plays for us to win. I still have faith Sumner can do that for us. Fingers crossed I'm not wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
            I am like some others on this board who are a little concerned about the play of Sumner. The greatness of our running game so far is covering up for our lack of consistency in the passing game. There will be a game (or games) down the road when Zenner isn't breaking off 60 yard runs and we'll have to have our quarterback make plays for us to win. I still have faith Sumner can do that for us. Fingers crossed I'm not wrong.
            I agree with what you are saying, but last night we did have some good sustained drives with the passing game. The real problem to me is the red zone offense. It seems like once we get in the red zone we make the most absurd play calls possible and execute them horribly. If we score TD's like we should in the redzone we would win last night 41-3, taking away WIU's pick six. The passing game seems to be coming around, I know Sumner threw 2 INT's again, one was a miscommunication with AR and the other was a ball that the defender made a ONE handed catch on. Did he need to throw that ball where he did? No, but sometimes the receiver has to make a play and the Jacks just haven't got any of that this year. There have been no receivers making nice catches and helping out Sumner. Last year, we were spoiled with Dale Moss because he made some of the most spectacular catches. Usually, Sumner would just have to throw it up to him and he would come down with it.

Do they have any guys now capable of doing that besides AR, who had been banged up this year? We need some receivers to really step up if we want to win @UNI, YSU, @SIU, etc. Also, if a ball hits you right in the hands, regardless if it was thrown a little behind you, you gotta catch the ball! AR had an easy TD where he dropped the ball! So while there is still room for improvement, I like the way the offense is going. We had some good drives against WIU utilizing the passing and run game.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              This team is playing to good to get such weak attendance like they had last night. Honestly it should be embaressing. I don't care about any excuses people will make. Weather was great and we are playing pretty awesome football. I feel bad for the team with the turn out they got.
              Actually that crowd was one of the loudest and more into it crowds of the whole season........so I'm fine with it.....I'd rather have close to 11000 of the most vocal fans than the obvious other 2000 no shows that just want to come and sit on their hands and want everyone else to as well.....
              With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

#1. Great tailgate! Thanks chain gang! #2. Awesome to be 5-1#3. Very surprised with the d, but the talent of competition will be much better!#4. Not surprised with the passing game-dink and dunk will only take us so far. Pass the ball down the field!#5. The UNI db's will be sitting on our receivers.

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                  I guess I'm going to be "that guy" if only because it's impossible to ignore the continued shortcomings of the passing game. And they lead to a lack of sustained drives. Austin played better, especially in the second half. But he missed a couple of guys, including an easy touchdown where he threw the ball behind the receiver. He's simply got to get better. He's regressed so much, it's stunning. That second interception was an amazing play by the defender, but you have to question the throw. We pass block OKish, but it's not great. I can't help but think a part of the problem in the passing game is that the receivers aren't finding ways go get open, aren't breaking away from defenders. I think that helps bog down the passing game. Now, everybody can bitch at me if they want, but I'm basically regurgitating what Stig and Tyler said on the post game, though I added my own two bits about the receivers. We need a well-rounded offense as the quality of competition increases. And that starts with Sumner.

Now, passing game notwithstanding, we looked sharp. The defense continues to be amazing. Sure hope the D linemen stay healthy and Andy is OK. Special teams, for the first time all season, looked good from top to bottom. We're in great, great shape thanks to the run game and the D. I've never seen anything like Zenner. And by that I'm referring to what many of us have mentioned before...the consistent long runs. It's just the strangest and most amazing thing I've ever seen. Lots of runs for five or less yards, and then...he's gone. Also, we cut down the number of penalties. I think we only had one. Great job there improving in that department.

Good game. The crowd seemed to be into it, and the game moved at a good pace. Loved the flyover pregame. That was great for military appreciation day. But I disagree with JackJD. I think they were supposed to come over just after the playing of the national anthem, so I think there was a glitch in the timing. But it all worked out well enough. And I'm just speculating on the timing.

Think we have a real opportunity to get a win at Northern Iowa Saturday. Let's get the passing game going and do it!
                  If Rollin catches that pass in his hands in the end zone does this change your view?

Comment

I do want to comment that coming out of the half last night, the coaching decision to kick the ball short and on one side was huge! It pinned WIU back by their goaline! Brilliant!

Comment

Originally posted by TailGatr View Post
                      I do want to comment that coming out of the half last night, the coaching decision to kick the ball short and on one side was huge! It pinned WIU back by their goaline! Brilliant!
                      Overall special teams was vastly improved. Very impressed with it. D was great. Just gotta work with sumner to check down wrs better but wrs need to break covegage. I think sumner tries to make to good of a pass sometimes which is what hurts him. I think its possible. Just needs more work
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        Overall special teams was vastly improved. Very impressed with it. D was great. Just gotta work with sumner to check down wrs better but wrs need to break covegage. I think sumner tries to make to good of a pass sometimes which is what hurts him. I think its possible. Just needs more work
                        I am not overly concerned with Sumners game. Can it improve - Yes. Will it improve - Yes. His passing yards and accuracy will come around. I would like to see him avoid some of the sacks by throwing the ball away even nothing else. It really puts the offense in a hole. He needs to have that mental clock and get rid of the ball. I am extremely happy to be 5-1 and 3-0 in a very tough MVFC. It is however going to get even tougher.

GBGBGJ

Comment

[QUOTE=goon;209856]This team is playing to good to get such weak attendance like they had last night. Honestly it should be embaressing. I don't care about any excuses people will make. Weather was great and we are playing pretty awesome football. I feel bad for the team with the turn out they got.[/QUOTE

It would always be great to have 15,000+ in the stands but we had a couple of things going against us. First, the weather man was forecasting 80% chance of rain as late as Wed. So, many non-avid Jacks fb fans simply made other plans. Secondly, I am sure we lost some fans to the resident only pheasant hunting opener. I promise you Western brought only a handfull of fans.

That said here is the attendance from last Saturday around the MVFC

Indiana St at NDSU 18,575
                          Western Il at SDSU 10,727
                          Northern Iowa at S. Ill 10,575
                          USD at Missouri St 8001
                          Youngstown St at Ill State 5,557

The next two home games should have excellent attendance with Hobo day and USD.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Our receivers aren't fast enough to break coverage,instead they run up to the coverage turn or cut and the defenders right on his butt,by then,summners already had his 2 or 3 sec's of pass blocking protection,and the protection starts to break down,all he see's are receivers with someone right on his butt.He either tries to force something,or takes off running, usually right into a defender.The complete passing game has to be re-evaluated,it's not working too well,IMO.I think we have to match the pass routes to the personnel we have catching passes and the amount of time the QB has to throw.I'm not one to put it all on the QB's back.It's a team sport, and everyone has to do their job.It's too easy to just blame the QB when things aren't working,there's other factors that aren't being scrutinized,it's just blame the QB.I really don't want to see Summner throw the ball away 20 times a game either because the passing game isn't working,do you?Sorry for the rant,but sometimes people need a different perspective to consider.
                            Last edited by jackdaniel; 10-14-2012, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                              Our receivers aren't fast enough to break coverage,instead they run up to the coverage turn or cut and the defenders right on his butt,by then,summners already had his 2 or 3 sec's of pass blocking protection,and the protection starts to break down,all he see's are receivers with someone right on his butt.He either tries to force something,or takes off running, usually right into a defender.The complete passing game has to be re-evaluated,it's not working too well,IMO.I think we have to match the pass routes to the personnel we have catching passes and the amount of time the QB has to throw.I'm not one to put it all on the QB's back.It's a team sport, and everyone has to do their job.It's too easy to just blame the QB when things aren't working,there's other factors that aren't being scrutinized,it's just blame the QB.I really don't want to see Summner throw the ball away 20 times a game either because the passing game isn't working,do you?Sorry for the rant,but sometimes people need a different perspective to consider.
                              Receivers aren't fast enough is not a reason for our passing game not being where it needs to be. If that were the case how in the world did Chris Carter ever get open in the NFL?

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
                                Receivers aren't fast enough is not a reason for our passing game not being where it needs to be. If that were the case how in the world did Cris Carter ever get open in the NFL?
                                By running great routes and having great hands combined with Robert Smith running the ball, Warren Moon/Randall Cunningham/Daunte Cullpepper throwing him the ball, combined with the deep threat of Randy Moss for the last 4 years of his career and having a pretty solid #2 receiver before Randy in the form of Jake Reed.
                                "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Working...
                                X