Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WIU - Hall of Fame Game

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • WIU - Hall of Fame Game

    Only 4 days from the next biggest MVFC game in the history of the program. I know many posters hate the phrase "must win" but I think that is where this team is at if a playoff bid is the goal. For a number of reasons the schedule only gets more difficult from here.

    I watched portions of the USD vs WIU game last week and what I came away impressed with is that WIU is not going to give up. They rushed the ball 44 times for only about a 160 yds but they did get 16 first downs. only completed 10 passes but had a couple of big pass plays. I think they pass protected okay as well. I don't remember if WIU turned the ball over much.

    Listened to Stig last night and he said the key was stopping their run game. Well, same thing WIU is thinking about on their end. I like Zenner's chances to break a couple of big runs again. I think Stig and Eidsness will keep the game plan conservative and the Jacks will likely win another relatively ugly defensive battle.

    Turn the ball over 5 times like last game and WIU might just pull off a victory. Jacks have to value possession of the ball. Sumner can't be making poor decisions or trying to do too much if he is indeed still injured or less than 100%.

    Weather looks a little damp. Planning to smoke some ribs this week and serve them up at the tailgate site. Sliced some goose breast and plan to smoke and dehydrate that into jerky this week as well. Should be another great Jackrabbit gameday.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

    We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

  • #2
    Re: WIU - Hall of Fame Game

    Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    Only 4 days from the next biggest MVFC game in the history of the program. I know many posters hate the phrase "must win" but I think that is where this team is at if a playoff bid is the goal. For a number of reasons the schedule only gets more difficult from here.

    I watched portions of the USD vs WIU game last week and what I came away impressed with is that WIU is not going to give up. They rushed the ball 44 times for only about a 160 yds but they did get 16 first downs. only completed 10 passes but had a couple of big pass plays. I think they pass protected okay as well. I don't remember if WIU turned the ball over much.

    Listened to Stig last night and he said the key was stopping their run game. Well, same thing WIU is thinking about on their end. I like Zenner's chances to break a couple of big runs again. I think Stig and Eidsness will keep the game plan conservative and the Jacks will likely win another relatively ugly defensive battle.

    Turn the ball over 5 times like last game and WIU might just pull off a victory. Jacks have to value possession of the ball. Sumner can't be making poor decisions or trying to do too much if he is indeed still injured or less than 100%.

    Weather looks a little damp. Planning to smoke some ribs this week and serve them up at the tailgate site. Sliced some goose breast and plan to smoke and dehydrate that into jerky this week as well. Should be another great Jackrabbit gameday.
    Agree with all of this.

    We're serving up a shrimp boil at our site. Hopefully the weather forecast changes some. I'd take the weather forecasted for Sunday.
    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: WIU - Hall of Fame Game

      Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
      Agree with all of this.

      We're serving up a shrimp boil at our site. Hopefully the weather forecast changes some. I'd take the weather forecasted for Sunday.
      I'll bring some ribs over in exchange for some shrimp. Deal?

      Its going to rain Saturday, we need it badly down in Yankton and I'll take every bit of it. Less dire need in Brookings but the timing is pretty good. Sounds like it will not be windy so if you have shelter you should be okay. Temp will be tolerable in the mid to upper 50's. Probably going to bring my patio heater up for the ladies to gather around. We've tried fire pits before but the smoke is a hassle.

      See you Saturday.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

      We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: WIU - Hall of Fame Game

        Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        Only 4 days from the next biggest MVFC game in the history of the program. I know many posters hate the phrase "must win" but I think that is where this team is at if a playoff bid is the goal. For a number of reasons the schedule only gets more difficult from here.

        I watched portions of the USD vs WIU game last week and what I came away impressed with is that WIU is not going to give up. They rushed the ball 44 times for only about a 160 yds but they did get 16 first downs. only completed 10 passes but had a couple of big pass plays. I think they pass protected okay as well. I don't remember if WIU turned the ball over much.

        Listened to Stig last night and he said the key was stopping their run game. Well, same thing WIU is thinking about on their end. I like Zenner's chances to break a couple of big runs again. I think Stig and Eidsness will keep the game plan conservative and the Jacks will likely win another relatively ugly defensive battle.

        Turn the ball over 5 times like last game and WIU might just pull off a victory. Jacks have to value possession of the ball. Sumner can't be making poor decisions or trying to do too much if he is indeed still injured or less than 100%.

        Weather looks a little damp. Planning to smoke some ribs this week and serve them up at the tailgate site. Sliced some goose breast and plan to smoke and dehydrate that into jerky this week as well. Should be another great Jackrabbit gameday.
        Agree with everything you said. Stopping Nikko Watson will be key. He isn't a fast RB but is a bruiser. He had 168 yards on the ground against the 'yotes with a 6.8 yd/carry average. Based on watching the USD game last weekend, WIU likes to run some play action with Watson getting so much attention. They burned USD on a double reverse TD pass.

        We need to come out and get that passing attack working right away, imo. I think play action would really burn WIU with Zenner getting so much attention (rightfully so). Receivers need to get open, waiting for AR to have a big game like Moss did frequently last year. However, if it wet and rainy expect Zenner to get 30+ carries and Gandy probably +10. Although, the Jacks have done well passing in inclement weather. (See: ILL ST game in 2008 in a blizzard with Berry throwing 7TD passes). Overall, I expect a much cleaner game from the Jacks.

        Jacks win 27-7

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: WIU - Hall of Fame Game

          Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
          We need to come out and get that passing attack working right away, imo. I think play action would really burn WIU with Zenner getting so much attention (rightfully so).
          Flea flicker, first play of the game.

          Wait, nah, save that for NDSU!
          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: WIU - Hall of Fame Game

            I not to happy with the comments about the weather. And the starting time was chosen based on Indian Summer weather, I suppose. Is this one on television? (Word spelled so as not to be confused with the Argus beat writer Terry Vandervec)

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: WIU - Hall of Fame Game

              Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              I not to happy with the comments about the weather. And the starting time was chosen based on Indian Summer weather, I suppose. Is this one on television? (Word spelled so as not to be confused with the Argus beat writer Terry Vandervec)
              Answer my own question by going to Television schedule thread. MC22? Specifically what channel does that translate to in Brookings area? Would that be channel22? Some how I feel stupid asking these questions.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: WIU - Hall of Fame Game

                Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
                Agree with everything you said. Stopping Nikko Watson will be key. He isn't a fast RB but is a bruiser. He had 168 yards on the ground against the 'yotes with a 6.8 yd/carry average. Based on watching the USD game last weekend, WIU likes to run some play action with Watson getting so much attention. They burned USD on a double reverse TD pass.

                We need to come out and get that passing attack working right away, imo. I think play action would really burn WIU with Zenner getting so much attention (rightfully so). Receivers need to get open, waiting for AR to have a big game like Moss did frequently last year. However, if it wet and rainy expect Zenner to get 30+ carries and Gandy probably +10. Although, the Jacks have done well passing in inclement weather. (See: ILL ST game in 2008 in a blizzard with Berry throwing 7TD passes). Overall, I expect a much cleaner game from the Jacks.

                Jacks win 27-7
                Typically SDSU does well against bigger backs IMO. Usually it is the shifty smaller quick guys we struggle with.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done. Arnold Palmer

                Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: WIU - Hall of Fame Game

                  Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  Answer my own question by going to Television schedule thread. MC22? Specifically what channel does that translate to in Brookings area? Would that be channel22? Some how I feel stupid asking these questions.
                  I would guess the MC means MediaComm as I think it is the network game of the week.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: WIU - Hall of Fame Game

                    For the ex-players, especially: Is a week off an advantage or a disadavantage for a team in the Jacks' position? We assume the healing aspects are there, but does a 4-1 team want a week off? What's the hardest thing about coming back after it? What's the best part?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: WIU - Hall of Fame Game

                      Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      I'll bring some ribs over in exchange for some shrimp. Deal?

                      Its going to rain Saturday, we need it badly down in Yankton and I'll take every bit of it. Less dire need in Brookings but the timing is pretty good. Sounds like it will not be windy so if you have shelter you should be okay. Temp will be tolerable in the mid to upper 50's. Probably going to bring my patio heater up for the ladies to gather around. We've tried fire pits before but the smoke is a hassle.

                      See you Saturday.
                      Exchange sounds good to me. I'll text you when the first pot is done!
                      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: WIU - Hall of Fame Game

                        Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                        For the ex-players, especially: Is a week off an advantage or a disadavantage for a team in the Jacks' position? We assume the healing aspects are there, but does a 4-1 team want a week off? What's the hardest thing about coming back after it? What's the best part?
                        Yes, any break in the middle of the season is a welcomed break. Hope we don't get off to a slow start this weekend (this would be the only negative), but the BYE is huge for your body and mind in the middle of the conference grind.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: WIU - Hall of Fame Game

                          Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                          For the ex-players, especially: Is a week off an advantage or a disadavantage for a team in the Jacks' position? We assume the healing aspects are there, but does a 4-1 team want a week off? What's the hardest thing about coming back after it? What's the best part?
                          Definitely agree with Jacked. Getting that time off is great for the mind as well as the body. Getting a day off from the constant repetition of practice/lifting does wonders for the morale and helps you refocus.


                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: WIU - Hall of Fame Game

                            http://www.leathernecknation.com/Topic16860-15-1.aspx

                            WIU fan board discussion about the SDSU/WIU game. I like the St Lawson metrics (Post #1) information.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: WIU - Hall of Fame Game

                              Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                              http://www.leathernecknation.com/Topic16860-15-1.aspx

                              WIU fan board discussion about the SDSU/WIU game. I like the St Lawson metrics (Post #1) information.
                              Thanks, and I appreciate the additional info you've provided on our board.
                              Scott
                              Western Illinois University Alumnus, Employee and Fan
                              Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X