FCS polls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FCS polls

Polls will always reflect last year's results as much as this year's. Teams that made the playoffs last year are overrated and the teams that didn't are ranked too low. Strength of schedule isn't nearly as important as the name recognition from the playoffs, especially in the Coach's Poll.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      We are supposed to beat UNI - the shine is off their no win season, and losing to us makes them a turd sandwich. We won't move up more than a spot or 2 if we beat them.

If Youngstown loses to surging SIU next week, they are a very pedestrian 1-3 and 4-3 when they come to Brookings. They will be lucky to be in the top 20.

SIU plays NDSU the week before we play them. Even if they beat Youngstown, they will be 4-2 and 5-4. They might crack the top 25, but they won't go any higher unless they beat us.

In other words, in a lot of voter's minds our schedule could be weak until we play NDSU.
      My point was that UNI has name recognition and tradition, and even though they have a poor record this year, the panel of "experts" in the TSN and Coachs' Poll will consider it a quality win and might actually take our record seriously.
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
        My point was that UNI has name recognition and tradition, and even though they have a poor record this year, the panel of "experts" in the TSN and Coachs' Poll will consider it a quality win and might actually take our record seriously.
        Normally I would agree, and you could be right. Especially if they had 2 or 3 wins.

However, I just don't consider their record poor, it is awful. If we rise much more than a spot or two by beating them then the experts really are clueless, IMO.

Regardless, I'm sure we can agree that the only way to find out is to win on Saturday.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Normally I would agree, and you could be right. Especially if they had 2 or 3 wins.

However, I just don't consider their record poor, it is awful. If we rise much more than a spot or two by beating them then the experts really are clueless, IMO.

Regardless, I'm sure we can agree that the only way to find out is to win on Saturday.
          They're still ahead of us in the Sagarin ratings, making us a 3 point dog on Saturday.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

We most definitely can agree on that.
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
              They're still ahead of us in the Sagarin ratings, making us a 3 point dog on Saturday.
              I agree with that, at CAS we'd be a 3 point favorite. Jackrabbits up to #6 in the GPI. The only reason SDSU isn't in the top 20 in all polls is the fact the majority of voters are ignorant. No further discussion is necessary.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

It's Al Davis Time: "Just Win, Baby."

Comment

We are going to find out real fast (the next 4 weeks) whether or not we are truly under-ranked. That is the nice thing about the situation.

I have no doubt that our defense and running game are top-10 worthy. The question is how much do the special teams (looking a lot better) and passing game (ugh) drag us down. Is this team cabable of passing their way back into a game in which they fall behind early? I sure have not seen that yet but keep hoping for improvement. I guess those concerns would keep me from ranking SDSU too high just yet. We are going to get to find out one of these next few weeks.

Comment

Wow, the Coaches finally put us in their poll at #25.

http://www.soconsports.com/fls/4000/...oll/index.html

Comment

back in at #21

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/t...v-1aa-poll.htm

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                        Indiana State at #14 after we dominated them at their place.

Comment

I doubt we'll get any love until we knock off NDSU in a couple of weeks.
                          One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Beat SIU should get Jacks into the top 15.

Comment

Originally posted by common sense rabbit View Post
                              Indiana State at #14 after we dominated them at their place.
                              Would not be surprised if we finished tied with Ind. St. in conference and they have 1 more overall win that they get a playoff spot ahead of us even with our victory over them. I am sure there is a precedent for this I just don't know the specifics.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                                Beat SIU should get Jacks into the top 15.
                                Um, SIU isn't ranked in the coaches or Sports Network poll. If we beat them, they drop to 4-3 and 5-5 overall. Not exactly the kind of win that sends you shooting up the rankings.

Or several teams ahead of us need to lose, which is a possibility I guess.

We won't be ranked top 15 unless we beat NDSU. Which would get very interesting, especially if Indiana State and SDSU win out. When NDSU lost to ISUb, they dropped to fourth (I think). You could pretty realistically have a 2 loss NDSU at #6 ish to end the season, ahead of a 2 loss team that beat them, followed by a 2 loss team that beat them both. Polls are dumb.
                                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X