Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Kansas Game Day Thread

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Welcome to the board, common sense rabbit. With a name like that, I suppose none dare to disagree.
    Common sense tells me that the less said, less critiqued. I'll try and keep that in mind as the season progresses. Thanks for the welcome!

Comment

I was there, the punt team was terrible and that is at least in part on Stig. He admits as much. Punt return wasn't much better. I can't for the life of me reconcile in my mind how it was not possible for Austin to start the game if he was available to come into the game in the 2nd half. I think Stig messed up there as well.

As for the rest of the game, I thought SDSU was well prepared and executed at a sufficient level for the 1st game. Because of the ineptitude of the punt team field position was greatly to SDSU's disadvantage. With decent punting I think the Jacks lead 7-0 or 7-3 at the half.

The picks by Sumner don't worry me too much. He threw the one up for grabs which he can't do in the future and I don't expect he will, take the sack. Zenner can't be expected to be the lone back. Kool was very impressive and is back in the right position. I would like to see more down field passing and more use of the tight ends in the passing game.

Lastly, I see nothing wrong with criticism from dedicated fans that feel like certain aspects of this teams preparation may be preventing them from winning games. If you have the ability go back and watch some of the punts, as Stig himself said, it was horrendous and he is the special teams coach. I am certainly looking forward to a much crisper performance at SELA. I will be listening.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        I was there, the punt team was terrible and that is at least in part on Stig. He admits as much. Punt return wasn't much better. I can't for the life of me reconcile in my mind how it was not possible for Austin to start the game if he was available to come into the game in the 2nd half. I think Stig messed up there as well.

As for the rest of the game, I thought SDSU was well prepared and executed at a sufficient level for the 1st game. Because of the ineptitude of the punt team field position was greatly to SDSU's disadvantage. With decent punting I think the Jacks lead 7-0 or 7-3 at the half.

The picks by Sumner don't worry me too much. He threw the one up for grabs which he can't do in the future and I don't expect he will, take the sack. Zenner can't be expected to be the lone back. Kool was very impressive and is back in the right position. I would like to see more down field passing and more use of the tight ends in the passing game.

Lastly, I see nothing wrong with criticism from dedicated fans that feel like certain aspects of this teams preparation may be preventing them from winning games. If you have the ability go back and watch some of the punts, as Stig himself said, it was horrendous and he is the special teams coach. I am certainly looking forward to a much crisper performance at SELA. I will be listening.

Serious question: Is there any other FBS or FCS head coach who also is a position or special teams coach? Is this a function of not having enough assistants?

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
          Serious question: Is there any other FBS or FCS head coach who also is a position or special teams coach? Is this a function of not having enough assistants?
          Even NFL coaches do these things (offensive play caller, etc.).

Sadly though, I believe Stig took on the special teams because they had performed so badly in the past. Looks like he didn't help much, but hopefully he gets them back to where they need to be.
          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Seems like Shannon Moore was once the special teams guy, but I could be wrong. Through numerous radio interviews, Stig has often stressed the importance of special teams. I am sure he might need some time to get this part going. If the other assistants are working together as a unit and I believe they are, then the HC does not have to much to do. This might be why he took it on.

Comment

I'm getting to the board really, really late here...but I watched the game on the net.

Zenner looks really good, and the O-Line was much improved in run blocking from last year.

Pass Blocking was not as good...but I'll reserve judgement on that as we were playing up a level.

Not sure why Gandy didn't get in there, maybe he was "dinged up" a bit? Because of his smaller size...maybe they were worried about him getting hurt? Not sure. Or maybe this was like Nagy last winter in the big games, and he only played 6 guys...just keep your guys out there.

Kool looked good...I'm sure Kansas was probably rolling their coverage towards Rollin. Had to be.

Kline looked ok... tough situation to get your first start in. On the Road, Big 12 team, only a week of playing with the starters... he didn't turn it over, and managed the game well.

Sumner... looked really good at times, and like he was trying to force things at times. We were behind, and he was trying to make some things happen, and also had a pretty good pass rush to deal with, and missed the week of practice before. Not too concerned with the INT's, but I hope that improves. (Like everyone)

Defense. Actually not too bad. They kept Kansas at bay enough to give the offense a chance. They kept battling. Godley looked better than I remember. Andy Mink is just a beast out there. Doug Peete is going to be a player to keep your eye on in conference games.

Dom Wright struggled with punt returns. Not sure what to say there... hopefully he improves... I don't remember him messing up like that last year, and I do remember him doing some returns...maybe that was just kickoff?

The punting game was weak. Blocks and poor punts really hurt us.

I've got no complaints with the Kline/Sumner rotation... they kept Kline in there as long as the game was close, and when they felt they needed to throw to make a comeback, went with Sumner.

My only coaching complaint was the going for it after the false start in the 3rd. 4th and 2 from the 35 is ok... 4th and 7 from the 40 isn't. Should have punted the ball. Remember who you are playing against, where you are at, and what you're up against.... That failed conversion led directly to a quick KU score, and then we were in trouble.

Solid game overall. Hope we win tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
              X