Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kansas Game Day Thread

Originally posted by timeforachange View Post
    Second they were using brand new balls that were fresh out of the package because the equipment manager forgot to break them in and put clay over them.
    What? Please explain.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      . Which play maker do you refer too?

Did anyone hear why they didn't get a pass rollins way or why gandy could take 1 handoff even?

I would assume TailGatr is talking about Tiefenthaler, why can we not get this kid some touches. He is about the only player on our team with blazing speed.

If SUMNER can play than he starts, what a stupid decision not to start him. He could have done the same thing Kline did in the first half and hand the ball off and throw nine passes.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitNation View Post
        I would assume TailGatr is talking about Tiefenthaler, why can we not get this kid some touches. He is about the only player on our team with blazing speed.

If SUMNER can play than he starts, what a stupid decision not to start him. He could have done the same thing Kline did in the first half and hand the ball off and throw nine passes.
        Was wondering if he meant trevor. I agree. Coaches talk highly of him. Seems hubert is the best at getting open though. He is a pleasant surprise.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Been searching for video of the Zach Zenner 99 yard TD run but haven't found any yet (I listened to the game on radio). I hope it's not because of the Big 12 TV deal, because I already think it B.S. that the game couldn't be picked up in SD. If this is how the conference operates, no wonder why the conference just about folded.
          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
          - Steven Wright

Comment

My thoughts on the game. Lets just start by saying that was one of the weirdest games I have ever seen. We ran the ball very well. We ran a lot of very good inside zones where Zenner cut back. The 99 yard play was a power and it was ran to perfection. I would guess if you took out the 99 yarder our average was still pretty good. Pass blocking wasn't good. Overall we ran the ball great and I think we will be able to do so all year. We only threw the ball to rollin once!! We need to get him the ball and Tief too. Tief did a great job returning kicks, a lot of very good hard runs which were blocked good too. Dom Wright had a bad game, muffed a punt and also made probably 2 other bad decisions on not fair catching and letting the ball land. If it was up to me Tief should be returning punts. Gandy did not get in to the game. With playing up a level(Big 12), it being extremely warm, humid, and first game of year why would we not spell zenner. We need him all year. Makes no sense! Hubert made some great catches over the middle. Give that kid credit he runs the tough routes and is pretty sure handed in trafic. Kline looked like he was starting his first game ever but did what he was asked. I cant fault him for that. Sumner came in and made some real poor choices on forcing the ball or not throwing it away. He then got in the flow and looked like his old self. Those picks were him pressing and thinking he had to do too much. I really am not overly conerned with the picks but we cant have those. I believe the defense played really good, yeah we gave up rushing yards but they were put in some real bad fields. Mink and Shafrath played a hell of game. Those guys were in on every tackle it seemed. I cant say enough about Mink, one of the best football players I have ever seen. He makes so many plays around the field. Overall interior dline played pretty good. I thought our corners played good. They each had a mistake or two but each made some terrific plays. We have to figure out our punts. We had 2 blocks and I believe another was hurried. This opens the door for the next few games, teams will be gunning for it. Team didnt play good overall. It was a game we should have one. If we had fick, parker, and sumner I think we would have beat them by 20 points. I honestly believe that, not just me being a homer. Kansas is a bad team, QB, receivers, and defense is all terrible. I dont think they win another game this year. I dont think Kansas can hang in the Missouri Valley Conference. One last thing, this coaching staff makes me shake my head. Rollin, Gandy, Tief, Sumner? The penalty and then back to back time outs on 4th. Are you telling me we dont have a 4th and what was it 8? play drawn up, we haven't gone over that before the game?? That tells me the coaching staff was not prepared. I really think they hinder us some times. Plus a couple other things brought up that sounds like they were not prepared like they should have been. Nothing major but just senseless stuff that we should be prepared for.

I think there was a lot of positives and we can move on from this game, learn from our mistakes and lets win the next one. They say most improvement is from week 1 to 2, so lets go out there next week, hopefully sumner is healthy and lets put up 60 points on SELA.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
              Doesn't make sense. If your starting quarterback can play, he starts the game. That's a pretty weak excuse in my opinion and makes the coaches look really bad.
              Agreed, that is terrible.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I was talking about Tiefenthaler. I like Hubert, and I think he is a good blocker and he can run down the field to a spot, and catch the ball. I don't think he is a gamebreaker/playmaker by any means and that is what we need. I would love to see Rollin, Kool and Tiefenthaler on the field more. I didn't even see Tief on the field when we went to a 4 receiver set. Not sure what is going on there. Dom Wright did have a bad game, but hopefully we can chalk that up to first game jitters for him. Let's get a big win next week!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                  I didn't get to see or even hear the game, so take these comments, based on what I've read, for what they're worth. (Not much, as usual.) Concerns:

1. Four interceptions in less than two quarters. I can't say I'm worried about Sumner, but that's just plain bad. Period.

2. Blocked punt. Special teams were a disaster last year, though one that largely went unnoticed. Hope this was just a random play, not a harbinger of things to come or a continuation of that trend.

3. If your starting QB is ready to start...he starts. End of discussion. He either is or isn't.

4. Way too many rushing yards allowed. They had two guys with 120-plus yards. Gotta fix that.

On the flip slide, obviously the long run and early lead were good. And the rally, too. Glad to see we didn't roll over and die. And, for what it's worth, NDSU only scored six points against Kansas in that snoozefest victory from two years ago.

Next week will be more telling. It's a team that has missed several practices because of the tropical storm. And a team that's not expected to do a whole lot this season. So I certainly expect a victory.
                  I was there.

1. No need to worry about Sumner. Two of the picks ricocheted off of receivers' hands. The other was a fluke. Only one was a truly bad play. The Jacks were an entirely different team when he played. The guy was in command. I think his accuracy wasn't what it usually was, but that isn't why those particular balls were picked. I would say I was disappointed with some of the receivers who didn't catch balls that were catchable. Tyrell Kool showed his good hands and made some really nice catches.

Kansas fans were really quiet when Sumner came in and took over. He was the best player on the field.

2. One of the blocked punts was a snap that moved Sawyer to the right combined with a missed block at the line. Not sure about the other bad special teams plays. Sawyer had some terrific punts. Dom Wright was pretty shaky on punt returns. I think he only even caught one or two and there were a couple of really questionable decisions by him where he jumped out of the way of punts at the last minute.

3. I don't know what to say. He didn't start, but when he played, Sumner looked confident. Kline is a talented athlete, but he really wasn't any threat to complete passes. Why play Sumner? Who knows. But I would say that had Sumner not been hurt, we very well could have won that game.

4. Kansas has two very high quality backs and a decent offensive line. I was pretty impressed with SDSU's interior D-line and with the defensive effort overall. Peete was dominant at times. It seemed like Skyler Luxa had about 500 tackles.

Overall, I was encouraged. Zenner was great. O-line did a good job rush blocking and OK, but not great on pass blocking. Luxa was unbelievable. Mink was Mink. Sumner showed instantly that he was in command and the entire team, including the defense had a whole different approach once Austin came in. With the passing game that Sumner provides and an improved running attack, the offense will be good. The defense was pretty solid, too, with the exception of a couple of big runs.

Sumner was clearly the best QB on the field. KU's QB didn't show me much. SDSU physically was just as strong as Kansas and other than the speedy back, they didn't run away from us. Sawyer's kickoffs and the punts that weren't blocked were very good. Tiefenthaler was terrific on kickoff returns.

First game. Lots to talk about. But I don't think anybody who saw that game would say we aren't going to be a pretty good team. Win the next two, and we should expect to win those, and we're 2-1 going into conference play. That's about all we could ask for. Could we have beaten a weak KU team? Yup. But it didn't happen. I still think they're back to playing Jackrabbit football.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

This is in no particular order, and just my thoughts on the game in general.

I thought playing Sumner was stupid. Plain and simple, you either start him or you sit him. I thought it just wasn't smart. It had to be hard on Kline to a point, thinking you are starting and then the starter suits up and is throwing passes on the sideline all game. I just really didn't like that decision.

As far as the game. I thought the O-Line struggled, especially passing out of the shot gun. Kline liked to bail out of the pocket early which is what I expected. It seemed like he was just off on some of the passes down the field.

I thought Zenner played well, don't remember a SDSU game where the starting RB played that many snaps.

Receivers I thought did alright, still think Tiefentaler needs to play more.

I thought Sumner did alright, it seemed like he could make the quick rifle pass, but when touch or a pump fake were required he was off a bit, which is expected with a thumb injury.

Special teams were pretty bad, especially punt both punting and returning.

I liked for the most part the offensive play calling, still some questionable play calls but overall I thought it was improved quite a bit from last year.

Defense, I thought the interior D-Line struggled, the corners struggled at times and then looked really solid at other times.

Overall I saw some good things, but I think the line needs to protect the QB (whoever it is) better, and the punting game needs to be cleaner.

Comment

I don't know if anybody watched Terry V's post-game video clips. The one with Stig and Sumner is very interesting. Sumner did not looked pleased. And what I mean by that is that he sure looks like he hates losing. And I like that a lot. A lot. Now, he might have been upset that he didn't get to play the entire game. I'm just not sure. But I thought Stig's answer to Terry's question about which QB played when was weak. Terry had to rephrase the question a couple of times because it wasn't being answered. Then, Stig kind of called Terry on it, though in a good-natured way, and offered a bit more info, but not a particularly good answer. Check it out. I'm interested in what others think.
                      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Good thing everyone here is an armchair coach...I don't know how are programs every survived without internet and all of this professional insight.

Comment

My thoughts:

It is always tough to lose a game when you feel you could win it, that is the clear message with everyone on here. I haven't read once that the Jacks had no business being there, etc. If we had a healthy Sumner (more on that later) we could have one. Reality is the program made a lot of money and we had a very good showing for any recruits that were considering us.
                          I tweeted it to TV during the game, and I still stand by it, putting Sumner in at the time they did it was the dumbest thing I have seen Stig do. No doubt Sumner got us back into the game. But if he couldn't start, don't put him in now. Ride the game out with Kline, get some younger guys some reps, let Gandy carry the ball, some of the younger WR's out there, etc. Fortunately Sumner didn't get hurt worse, if he did the season would have been sunk.
                          Zenner is a work horse, but we need to get others out there.
                          Not worried about Rollin not getting a catch, Sumner didn't prepare all week, and I would imagine Kansas keyed on him.
                          Special Teams, got to get better.
                          All in all, the Jacks played good, not great. A lot of positives to take out of this.
                          The entire conference gave FBS teams fits on Saturday, UNI pushed the Badgers, Indiana State w/ Indiana, and Youngstown but up Pitt. This conference is loaded this year, we need to healthy and ready (another reason it was so stupid to put Sumner in....)

Comment

I listened to some of the first half and then the entire 2nd half, and one of the positives that I concluded was how damn well we ran the ball without Fick and parker who are probably are best linemen. That was impressive and surprising to me. Sumner sounded like he was gunslingin' it and making good throws, which given the circumstances the int's are definetly understandable. Defensively we really didnt sound too bad. Although in an interview Stiggy said one of the linebacker's will be out for a month or so, Im curious who that is ? Other than that I think this team has potential and will probably be real fun to watch play.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitden View Post
                              Good thing everyone here is an armchair coach...I don't know how are programs every survived without internet and all of this professional insight.
                              I am with you there. I might offer this and its the accountant in me, and I think we won the day we signed the contract for at least a 300k guarentee. In terms of revenue, it might have cost us r40 to 50k to bring in a home game against USF as a for instance. I thought our guys played well. I dont think Kansas is going to be the door mat this year. I keep wondering if NDSU would have beaten the JayHawks this year. Proabably not and thats why they paid out money in order whip Bob Morris. I think we will be okay this year. One game at at time.

Comment

Take away one blocked and one partly blocked punt, and SDSU's kicking game was better than Kansas' kicking game. Ethan Sawyer's kickoffs were deeper and better than his Kansas counterpart, and Justin Syrovatka's was the most accurate placekicker on the field. I look for the kicking game to become a strength.
                                I was concerned to see after the game that a couple of linebackers were hobbled. Robbie Jelsma was one. R.C. Kilgore might have been the other. Hopefully their injuries were not serious.
                                This space for lease.

Comment

Working...
                                X