• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kansas Game Day Thread

KU 31, SDSU 17 is the final

Comment

Definitely some high points. Sumner looked great when he wasn't air mailing passes (all 4 picks). Kline looked like a young guy getting his first start, but he'll be good. Running game looked good.

All in all, would have like the win obviously, but I'm hopeful for the rest of the year.

Go Jacks!

Comment

In defense of Summner,no practice, sore thumb,D knows you're throwing to try to get back in the game,putting too much on your shoulders to try to get back into the game.......i really am not too worried about the INT's as they didn't hurt as much as if they were dumb ones where they could be returned for a TD like O'Brien used to throw.....everybody learn something (players) and heal up and we will be fine the rest of the season,hopefully.

Comment

No runs by gandy and no catches for rollin. 4 int looks bad but we put over 400 yards up with 99 of those in 1 play. I wasn't able to listen or watch so I'm not worried about offense going into confrence play but how did the D look for anyone who could give some info. Sounds like reading this site the punt team needs some work. I guess if your going to play sumner why not start him and if it doesn't work go to 2nd string. Don't agree with that from coaches but that's why they get paid to make those decisions.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Considering all the starters that were injured coming into this game, you have to be at least somewhat happy with the performance and final score. I thought KU was going to pour it on and run away with things in the second half. That's usually what happens in these FCS/FBS games, the difference in depth becomes evident in the second half and what was a close game ends up being a blowout. Not tonight. Nice job Jacks. There are some things to build on there. Let's just hope Sumner's thumb is close to 100% for next week.

Comment

Couple of things and these are not excuses. If your gonna put in your star quarterback behind in the game and only throw 15 yards down the field defense has the upperhand right away. Need seep balls to keep the corners back. Second they were using brand new balls that were fresh out of the package because the equipment manager forgot to break them in and put clay over them. Third i thought he was way better than crist coming in cold and only ten days removed from a dislocated thumbs and no practice time. Still think hes the real deal.

Comment

I think it's a different game if a healthy Sumner plays the entire game, but it wasn't meant to be (not worried one bit about his interceptions in this game considering the circumstances). D played decent and made some pretty good stops, but being behind the 8 ball all the time caught up to them.

I'll worry if we don't win next week.
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                  I guess if your going to play sumner why not start him and if it doesn't work go to 2nd string. Don't agree with that from coaches but that's why they get paid to make those decisions.
                  Did we get an answer in the post game? I just don't understand the decision.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                    Did we get an answer in the post game? I just don't understand the decision.
                    Just watched the post game interviews TV posted on his blog.

Sounds like the explanation was that the team prepped for Kansas with Klien as QB, so they felt it was best to go with him. Coach Stig mentioned he was hoping not to play Sumner, but him and Coach Eidsness talked it over and said there were throws that needed to made inorder to win the game that weren't happening under Klien, so they put in Sumner.
                    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                    - Steven Wright

Comment

Well the score was closer than the last time we played them. In 1947 we lost 86-6. Talk about pouring it on. Wies might be the one to turn the corner at KU

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                        Just watched the post game interviews TV posted on his blog.Sounds like the explanation was that the team prepped for Kansas with Klien as QB, so they felt it was best to go with him. Coach Stig mentioned he was hoping not to play Sumner, but him and Coach Eidsness talked it over and said there were throws that needed to made inorder to win the game that weren't happening under Klien, so they put in Sumner.
                        Doesn't make sense. If your starting quarterback can play, he starts the game. That's a pretty weak excuse in my opinion and makes the coaches look really bad.
                        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

I watched the game and it is apparent to me that one playmaker that wasn't on the field much, should be! He did a great job returning kicks!! As for bringing in Sumner, i totally get that decision! Need to pick up a win next Sat!

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                            Doesn't make sense. If your starting quarterback can play, he starts the game. That's a pretty weak excuse in my opinion and makes the coaches look really bad.
                            I agree. Doesn't show much confidence in your backup but for the fact kline was having a hard time to me seems like a wierd way to decide sumner should play. If you want to give your self a chance to win the game like herm says you play to win the game. If he was ok to play after the game started why not let him start. Just doesn't make sense at all. If your worried he would get hurt don't play him at all. But if he can play because kiline struggled which was to be expected just start him.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by TailGatr View Post
                              I watched the game and it is apparent to me that one playmaker that wasn't on the field much, should be! He did a great job returning kicks!! As for bringing in Sumner, i totally get that decision! Need to pick up a win next Sat!
                              . Which play maker do you refer too?

Did anyone hear why they didn't get a pass rollins way or why gandy could take 1 handoff even?

Comment

I didn't get to see or even hear the game, so take these comments, based on what I've read, for what they're worth. (Not much, as usual.) Concerns:

1. Four interceptions in less than two quarters. I can't say I'm worried about Sumner, but that's just plain bad. Period.

2. Blocked punt. Special teams were a disaster last year, though one that largely went unnoticed. Hope this was just a random play, not a harbinger of things to come or a continuation of that trend.

3. If your starting QB is ready to start...he starts. End of discussion. He either is or isn't.

4. Way too many rushing yards allowed. They had two guys with 120-plus yards. Gotta fix that.

On the flip slide, obviously the long run and early lead were good. And the rally, too. Glad to see we didn't roll over and die. And, for what it's worth, NDSU only scored six points against Kansas in that snoozefest victory from two years ago.

Next week will be more telling. It's a team that has missed several practices because of the tropical storm. And a team that's not expected to do a whole lot this season. So I certainly expect a victory.
                                Last edited by JackFan96; 09-02-2012, 11:52 AM.
                                Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Working...
                                X