Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kansas Game Day Thread

Originally posted by Rabbitden View Post
    Good thing everyone here is an armchair coach...I don't know how are programs every survived without internet and all of this professional insight.
    Its a message board. Its where people share opinions. Moreover, we have had two rollercoaster losing seasons in a row. Couple that with the dumb decision to sit Sumner in the 1st half but play him in the 2nd and people have questions about what in God's name is going on sometimes.Anyone see the Jackrabbit Insider?
    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
      Take away one blocked and one partly blocked punt, and SDSU's kicking game was better than Kansas' kicking game. Ethan Sawyer's kickoffs were deeper and better than his Kansas counterpart, and Justin Syrovatka's was the most accurate placekicker on the field. I look for the kicking game to become a strength.I was concerned to see after the game that a couple of linebackers were hobbled. Robbie Jelsma was one. R.C. Kilgore might have been the other. Hopefully their injuries were not serious.
      We had 2 blocked punts and an 18 yard punt. That is just awful.Kick-offs were awesome. With the rule change to move it to the 25 on a touchback and to kick off fron the 35, I wonder if we'll see an effort to kick it about 2 yards deep to entice the return man to bring it out. Granted, we'd run the risk of a long return so maybe not. Plus, no one gets hurt on a touchback.

Comment

I think the intention was to "try" and not have to play Sumner if at all possible, "if" Kline could give us a "reasonable" chance to win.You have to remember that Kline was a relatively unknown commodity.When it became clear Kline couldn't....and Sumner was "vaguely" cleared to play by a trainers phone conversation with a doctor that wasn't there to look at Sumner....Stig reluctantly decided to see if Sumner could pull out a victory.It's all in the wording.I think the popular consensus is Stig was "dumb",but I say it's better to be somewhat cautious than to just show no concern at all and start Sumner with out at least trying Kline to see what he could do first.I'm not a Stig apologist,just saying they were following some logical thinking here, either that or I'm "dumb" too.Maybe it's the latter
        Last edited by jackdaniel; 09-03-2012, 10:39 AM.

Comment

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2012/se...y-cool/?sports

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
            Its a message board. Its where people share opinions. Moreover, we have had two rollercoaster losing seasons in a row. Couple that with the dumb decision to sit Sumner in the 1st half but play him in the 2nd and people have questions about what in God's name is going on sometimes.Anyone see the Jackrabbit Insider?
            Take a pill...it was sarcasm...I have been a member here since 2005; I totally understand the boards purpose. Jessh!

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
              Well, I reckon I agree. The ol' message boards were invented for armchair coaches and quarterbacks.
              Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Take a pill...it was sarcasm...I have been a member here since 2005; I totally understand the boards purpose. Jessh!
                Very well. Carry on, then.
                Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Thank you, Filbert for giving us "used to be's" a Forum to be used or abused as we may desire! Up to a limit that is.

Comment

Well, obviously it was sarcasm. My response was simply pointing out, "what do you expect after Saturday? No one to question some of the decisions made?"

Comment

• Re: Kansas Game Day Thread

Originally posted by JackItUp78 View Post
                      My thoughts on the game. Lets just start by saying that was one of the weirdest games I have ever seen. We ran the ball very well. We ran a lot of very good inside zones where Zenner cut back. The 99 yard play was a power and it was ran to perfection. I would guess if you took out the 99 yarder our average was still pretty good. Pass blocking wasn't good. Overall we ran the ball great and I think we will be able to do so all year. We only threw the ball to rollin once!! We need to get him the ball and Tief too. Tief did a great job returning kicks, a lot of very good hard runs which were blocked good too. Dom Wright had a bad game, muffed a punt and also made probably 2 other bad decisions on not fair catching and letting the ball land. If it was up to me Tief should be returning punts. Gandy did not get in to the game. With playing up a level(Big 12), it being extremely warm, humid, and first game of year why would we not spell zenner. We need him all year. Makes no sense! Hubert made some great catches over the middle. Give that kid credit he runs the tough routes and is pretty sure handed in trafic. Kline looked like he was starting his first game ever but did what he was asked. I cant fault him for that. Sumner came in and made some real poor choices on forcing the ball or not throwing it away. He then got in the flow and looked like his old self. Those picks were him pressing and thinking he had to do too much. I really am not overly conerned with the picks but we cant have those. I believe the defense played really good, yeah we gave up rushing yards but they were put in some real bad fields. Mink and Shafrath played a hell of game. Those guys were in on every tackle it seemed. I cant say enough about Mink, one of the best football players I have ever seen. He makes so many plays around the field. Overall interior dline played pretty good. I thought our corners played good. They each had a mistake or two but each made some terrific plays. We have to figure out our punts. We had 2 blocks and I believe another was hurried. This opens the door for the next few games, teams will be gunning for it. Team didnt play good overall. It was a game we should have one. If we had fick, parker, and sumner I think we would have beat them by 20 points. I honestly believe that, not just me being a homer. Kansas is a bad team, QB, receivers, and defense is all terrible. I dont think they win another game this year. I dont think Kansas can hang in the Missouri Valley Conference. One last thing, this coaching staff makes me shake my head. Rollin, Gandy, Tief, Sumner? The penalty and then back to back time outs on 4th. Are you telling me we dont have a 4th and what was it 8? play drawn up, we haven't gone over that before the game?? That tells me the coaching staff was not prepared. I really think they hinder us some times. Plus a couple other things brought up that sounds like they were not prepared like they should have been. Nothing major but just senseless stuff that we should be prepared for.

I think there was a lot of positives and we can move on from this game, learn from our mistakes and lets win the next one. They say most improvement is from week 1 to 2, so lets go out there next week, hopefully sumner is healthy and lets put up 60 points on SELA.
                      Also attended the game. Mink and Shafrath played very well. Winston Wright gets burned the first play of the game and Dom Wright was simply afraid to catch the ball. Not good and if you don't get the job done then he has to be replaced. Punt team was terrible and Coach Stig coaches that group. No excuses for 2 being blocked. Offensively same old crap-dink and dunk, dink and dunk. Was hoping to see the ball thrown down the field more to loosen up the defense but again we revert back to what we saw a couple of years ago. Kool, Rollin and Tiefenthaler look to be the guys that can take it to the house on any given play. Coach Stig and the offensive coaches need to see that and make the necessary adjustments where those guys are on the field at the same time. No substitute for speed so why not use all of them. Our kicker does a nice job and our kickoff returns were run well.

Comment

This much I do know: All the near-misses and Sumner's frantic aerial assault definitely have me fired up to see how the rest of the season plays out. I hope some of last week's injuries clear up for Saturday. This team certainly has potential on the offensive side of the ball. The defense had its moments the other night too.

Comment

I agree with u common sense rabbit! I was hoping to get rid of the dink and dunk when Meadows left. I do realize that we need some of that but was hoping to throw the ball down the field more and maybe we will with a healhy Sumner! I will say it again- let's get the playmakers on the field! Hopefully after game 2 we will be 1-1.

Comment

First game of the year with a banged up starting qb. No need to go threw the whole playbook when he isn't 100 percent and a non confrence game. Next week I would expect to see more variety and depth played. Also sumners ints I am nor worried. Remember ryan berrys first game his first season as the starter at iowa state. Fans were less then impressed and he sure turned things around. I expect more of the same with sumnner. He has rhe fight and attitude to right the wrongs.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I dont think we will be seeing that "dink and dunk" offense of the last few years. 1st half we ran the ball and the defense knew thats all we were going to do. We manages what 170 yards. I think thats impressive. Almost all of the 2nd half we were only passing and the defense knew that. Put up 200 yards give or take a couple. I dont think we ever really got in to our offense. So many plays that are ran in the 3rd or 4th quarter are designed from plays you go back to and ones that were set up in the 1 or 2nd quarter. We never had the opportunity becuase we were kind of in panic mode the whole game. I think in the weeks to come we will see a dynamic offense that should be balance and can expect better throws down the field in which we set the defense up. Thats my thoughts and my hopes. We have talent!

Comment

Welcome to the board, common sense rabbit. With a name like that, I suppose none dare to disagree.

Comment

Working...
                                X