Uni - gdt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Uni - gdt

We're definitely a passing team, that will use the running game to avoid full out blitzes. I was very pleased to see Jacks start play by going to a 17 yd sideline route to start the game. Rather than our "normal" two runs between the tackles.

Agree about the two questionable zebra calls, and the -3 Turnovers ratio. Clean those TO's up and Jacks were right in the game.

Comment

That certainly felt like better than a 17 point loss to me. But the critical mistakes that have already been mentioned were the difference, duh. The other big play of the game that went the wrong way was going for it on 4th & 5 at the 25 in the 3rd quarter. Sumner had his man and just flat out missed. You can question going for it when we had the wind, which had picked up at that point, for a 42 yard field goal. But I thought it was probably the right call. I just had a feel there was only so long they could hold UNI without a score in the 2nd half. So, right call for me, bad outcome because UNI ends up scoring then after the Jacks didn't get it.

This running game is just flat out aggravating. I'm going to comment in the other thread, but geez, see the difference.

I honestly thought the o-line did an adequate job of protecting Sumner against what is supposed to be one of the top front 7's in the FCS. Heck the guy threw the ball 54 times and got sacked what, 3 times? The freshman quarterback just made too many freshman mistakes.

If I was NDSU I would be a little nervous. The Jacks are capable of beating them from what I saw last night. I would not have said the same three weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
        We're definitely a passing team, that will use the running game to avoid full out blitzes. I was very pleased to see Jacks start play by going to a 17 yd sideline route to start the game. Rather than our "normal" two runs between the tackles.

Agree about the two questionable zebra calls, and the -3 Turnovers ratio. Clean those TO's up and Jacks were right in the game.
        -4 on the turnovers. Last one in garbage time.

And yes, where's the home cookin'? The call on the punt was a big call. Does UNI run that play from the 2 yard line that they ran from the 20 for the 80 yard TD? Probably not because he needed some time to throw the ball and they likely aren't going to sit their QB in the end zone and wait for that play to develop.

Oh yeah and I forgot, UNI's punter was terrible. I was disappointed the Jacks didn't capitalize on all those line drive punts. Gant had one good return. I believe that was the one that led up to the 4th down the Jacks went for. But he also called a fair catch in the first half that was a real head scratcher.

Comment

Sitting at the game I kept thinking the O-line had to hold blocks too long. Not trying to put this on Sumner, the young man is talented and smart, he has a bright future ahead. I just see a Freshman QB that hasn't quite caught up to the speed of the game. The young man starts making good decisions faster and this team will be very dangerous.

Something else, my son noted during the game that it looked to him like DB's seemd out of position at times. He wondered whether the team was buying into the schemes the coaching staff was giving them. I think we saw the result of that on the long TD pass by UNI.
          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
            My god man let it go, we had the #1 team in the nation on slate to come in and THEY backed out but all we hear is NDSU is scheduling patsies but GSU chose to beat up on a wussy team. We had 1 option to fill that date and to credit Gene he will NOT schedule DII.

Now, didnt get to see the UNI game so I cant comment on that
            Sorry, I wasn't clear enough there. I'm not criticizing NDSU's scheduling. I think it's smart and I'm saying we need to schedule better, and that includes winnable, out-of-conference home games. The conference schedule is tough enough.

Facts:

Out-of-conference the last several years for NDSU = Lafayette, St. Francis, Wagner, USD, Wagner again, Austin Peay, Central Connecticut.

Meanwhile, those same years, we had SUU, Cal Poly, Delaware, Georgia Southern, Cal Poly twice more.

That doesn't mean NDSU is "soft" at all. The playoff run last year and the great start this year, including the domination of Minnesota, speak for themselves. The point is at the end of the year when the playoff teams are chosen, the first measure is how many wins do you have. If you're an MVFC team with 7, you're in the conversation. Once you're in, then strength-of-schedule means something for seeding. But NDSU has great fan support and facilities, so they can make a good case for a home game anyway.

Maybe by the end of the year, we're a better team than we otherwise would be because we played tougher out-of-conference teams. But that doesn't mean much if you're not in the playoff conversation because of an early loss or two.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
              Sorry, I wasn't clear enough there. I'm not criticizing NDSU's scheduling. I think it's smart and I'm saying we need to schedule better, and that includes winnable, out-of-conference home games. The conference schedule is tough enough.

Facts:

Out-of-conference the last several years for NDSU = Lafayette, St. Francis, Wagner, USD, Wagner again, Austin Peay, Central Connecticut.

Meanwhile, those same years, we had SUU, Cal Poly, Delaware, Georgia Southern, Cal Poly twice more.

That doesn't mean NDSU is "soft" at all. The playoff run last year and the great start this year, including the domination of Minnesota, speak for themselves. The point is at the end of the year when the playoff teams are chosen, the first measure is how many wins do you have. If you're an MVFC team with 7, you're in the conversation. Once you're in, then strength-of-schedule means something for seeding. But NDSU has great fan support and facilities, so they can make a good case for a home game anyway.

Maybe by the end of the year, we're a better team than we otherwise would be because we played tougher out-of-conference teams. But that doesn't mean much if you're not in the playoff conversation because of an early loss or two.
              Understand and apologize, I like the patsy games to get the kids rolling but also would like to see good games. Its a toss up play a great team and get beat up lose confidence and tank the season, play patsy teams blow them out and hit the Conference schedule on a roll with minimal injurys? Either way I tailgate, attend, cheer, armchair QB on message boards and go nuts waiting for the next Saturday so It really dont matter to me
              BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Upon review, I think the PI and touchback call were probably the correct ones. There appeared (from Section J) to be a little jersey grabbing going on. Anyone who saw the referee explain the touchback call to Stig (after the 80 yard bomb) could see it was probably the correct call.

The substitution of offensive lineman on every play is simply maddening. Those of you who refuse to blame Stig and his staff for some of this team's performance need to wake up. What's the over/under on NDSU plays over 50 yards next week? 2?

Stig did take a shot at the crowd. IMO, he should be thankful we still have NDSU and Hobo Day on the schedule instead of Missouri State and Western Illinois. He'd really b$tch about the attendance at those games.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                  Upon review, I think the PI and touchback call were probably the correct ones. There appeared (from Section J) to be a little jersey grabbing going on. Anyone who saw the referee explain the touchback call to Stig (after the 80 yard bomb) could see it was probably the correct call.

The substitution of offensive lineman on every play is simply maddening. Those of you who refuse to blame Stig and his staff for some of this team's performance need to wake up. What's the over/under on NDSU plays over 50 yards next week? 2?

Stig did take a shot at the crowd. IMO, he should be thankful we still have NDSU and Hobo Day on the schedule instead of Missouri State and Western Illinois. He'd really b$tch about the attendance at those games.
                  The touchback call was not correct. I was right there and when I saw it live, I thought it was wrong and the replay confirmed it. That was a miss by the officials.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

My god man let it go, we had the #1 team in the nation on slate to come in and THEY backed out but all we hear is NDSU is scheduling patsies but GSU chose to beat up on a wussy team. We had 1 option to fill that date and to credit Gene he will NOT schedule DII.

Now, didnt get to see the UNI game so I cant comment on that

I think it's more of a compliment for how NDSU schedules. SDSU wishes they could schedule like you guys.
                    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                      The touchback call was not correct. I was right there and when I saw it live, I thought it was wrong and the replay confirmed it. That was a miss by the officials.

I thought that in college football if the BALL crosses the plane of the endzone, then it's considered a touchback. If this is the correct rule, then it was the right call. If not, they made a big mistake.
                      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                        I thought that in college football if the BALL crosses the plane of the endzone, then it's considered a touchback. If this is the correct rule, then it was the right call. If not, they made a big mistake.
                        http://en.allexperts.com/q/College-F...ack-during.htm

Looks like you are right and the official was right.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                          The PI may have been technically correct, the defender's hands were on the receiver's hips, but from Section D the ball really didn't look catchable. I think that call was poor, ticky-tacky.
                          Last edited by Prairiehaas; 10-16-2011, 01:23 PM. Reason: lack of keyboarding skill
                          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Huh I did not know that part of the rule. I don't like that.
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Understand and apologize, I like the patsy games to get the kids rolling but also would like to see good games. Its a toss up play a great team and get beat up lose confidence and tank the season, play patsy teams blow them out and hit the Conference schedule on a roll with minimal injurys? Either way I tailgate, attend, cheer, armchair QB on message boards and go nuts waiting for the next Saturday so It really dont matter to me
                              I'd vote for no injuries. Plus, a couple of wins, over whoever, surely gives your team confidence.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                                Players are getting bigger and stonger,as well as faster,we are too small on defense because we want to maintain speed, we get dragged for a first down.I don't know if it's the players fault he's too small,maybe it's recruiting.Only the elite programs get the kid who are physicaly gifted with size, speed and strength.The only thing we can do is get there faster with more tacklers to assist bringing the guy down.Another observation ,this pertains to UNI, twice on 3rd and short, they made long pass plays.First time OK, but to catch us on it twice, kinda suspect.Are the players playing defense according to what our offense would do , rather than the opposition or what? Just a question.
                                I think the team as a whole ,though, are playing much , much, better and more intense.Good to see,these guy's are fighters.
                                Our 3rd down pass zone coverage has givien up several big plays all year. Obviously other teams see we give up big plays when they pass down the seam. They need 3 yards and get 15.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X