Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Uni - gdt

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
    Aside from the obvious critical mistakes, and there were too many, we played well in the first half. The D had a relatively good night aside from the bomb...Luxa, I assume, as he does that weekly. Sorry if I'm wrong on that. Some progress, though. Good to see. Bowers and Lien played well. Sumner showed some promise, but there were too many picks. At least none were run back. Zenner is going to be a big stud. Don't know who 77 was on the O line, but he got destroyed every play he was in. He's not even on the program roster. I kid you not. Rollin had an up and down night. Nice stats, but at least three dropped balls. And I think he had the fumble, too. Too many penalties. Jeez. And just no breaks, either. In addition to putting all the blame on the players, as he always does, Stig seemed to take a shot at the fans on WNAX after the game. It sure sounded to me like he was unimpressed with 11,000-plus showing up to watch a two-win team on a state holiday (pheasant opener). It was strange. I wish there would have been more, too, but considering history, I was satisfied with attendance. Offensive play calling seems more diverse. Good to see. Sitting where I do and having a good view, it seems the special teams coach struggles with getting things organized and communication. Fingers crossed for next weekend. Fewer turnovers and another solid D effort and I think we give ourselves a chance in a big rivalry game. GBGBGJ!

Why shouldnt he blame the players? How many fumbles, interceptions and penalties did Stig have?

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
      Meadows was insane with the O line. No chance next week if he continues. He had a back up left tackle playing left guard on the last series. #71 had two major penalties when he was playing center. It almost appears as if the coaches have given up on the season. What do you think? Why doesn't Stig reign Meadows in?A good head coach would step in and put a stop to Meadows nuttiness. Neither one will have a job in a couple of years if they keep this stuff up. This was a very unproffesional job with the O line tonight. Not something other D I coaches would be doing.
      I think we need to move Stig to an assistant coach position and try to bring in a DI coach. We are making coaching decisions that are too similar to our DII days. We may need to cough up some cash to get a medium profile coach, but it may work well.

Comment

We stuck 450-plus yards on a defense that was giving up less than 300 per game before last night. We lost because of mistakes the players made, not because the coaches didn't put the players in a position to win.

Facts are stubborn things.

Here are a couple of facts unrelated to coaching that are holding us back. 1) We have the smallest football budget in the league. If you don't think that matters, you're kidding yourselves. 2) Another issue is scheduling. While NDSU is beating up on bottom-25 teams they pay to come to Fargo for two easy wins, we're playing SUU and Cal Poly (and even then, we should have beaten Poly but for some very poor plays at one position... things might have played out very differently had we won that game.)

Until we fix the budget and scheduling (related issues) we won't be an every-year contender. We'll be an every 3-year contender in those years where the stars align and we have sufficient numbers of remarkable players (Sumner and Zenner in a couple years, for example).

All that said, I feel optimistic about the future after this rebuilding period. Sumner is the most talented QB we have had since Berry (and he's potentially even better than Berry). The kid is a freshman, and he is a gamer, moving around and keeping his eyes downfield. Three straight 300+ yard passing games. Does he make mistakes? Sure. He's a freshman. Think he'll be pretty good next year? The year after that? The year after that? When you have a good QB, you have a chance. How about Zenner? He has toughness and speed. We're not going to the playoffs. I'm going to enjoy watching these young players develop. And you never know what can happen when you have an offense that can move it 450 yards against UNI.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
          Couple of plays really killed us. The 57 yard run, 80 yard TD pass, blown call on punt touchback/invisible pass interference stick out. But the even more frustrating thing to me is the penalties. Couple of the interceptions were headslappers(Moss had his defender outsized by at least 6 inches so why not throw the corner pass to him to outjump his defender???). Moss had an awesome catch in the first half. But the wideouts dropped a few too many balls. Punting game was solid. Also didn't like the whole theory of if a play works one time, let's run it the very next play. Also noticed the coaches finally realized we leave the middle of the field wide open so they started to drop someone back to the middle of the field in the second half (a couple games to late).
          It's mostly just a matter of class. I wouldn't have noted it if it wasn't what he does regularly without ever noting that the coaches share the burden/blame. One rule of coaching, though it doesn't have to be followed without exception, is that the coach takes the blame but spreads the credit. I guess it first really rubbed me the wrong way after the Montana game when it was all on the players, but there was no mention of the obvious changes in coaching philosophy late in the game that also played a big role in the collapse. And if the same problems recur week after week as has been the case for nearly two seasons now, is it not a matter of coaching? Seems to me that, at least to some extent, it is.
          Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Here's I question I ask myself all too frequently. Why do we go for short plays on 3rd and long? These are the types of things that make me question the decision making of the staff. Yes we are very far away on budget. but will that change the play calling in situations like these? Drives me insane, because I know I'm no football genius but it seems like common logic to me. if someone can give me a logical argument why we do this I'll SDSU (Sit Down and Shut Up).

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
              Here's I question I ask myself all too frequently. Why do we go for short plays on 3rd and long? These are the types of things that make me question the decision making of the staff. Yes we are very far away on budget. but will that change the play calling in situations like these? Drives me insane, because I know I'm no football genius but it seems like common logic to me. if someone can give me a logical argument why we do this I'll SDSU (Sit Down and Shut Up).

some of that thinking is that they will catch the defense offguards because the d is thinking a play to the sticks is coming. throw it short or run it and hope the defense is back opening up a big gain. flaw in that pudding is that when you do it every time on long yardage the defensive coaches will be looking for you to do it again and have the d set for it. a lot of pro teams do it also, it aint just the Jacks. now if your a good coach and come up with a short yardage look that you can go long on....... to me it just looks like your concedeing that the d beat you and your going to punt anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                It's very hard to plan a 20+ yard pass play when the defense is scheming against it. Sometimes you have to take what the defense is giving you and try to catch them off guard. If Kool breaks through the line he has open field with DB's playing the pass. Not saying I completely agree with the call, but that's basically the theory behind it.

Comment

It's mostly just a matter of class. I wouldn't have noted it if it wasn't what he does regularly without ever noting that the coaches share the burden/blame. One rule of coaching, though it doesn't have to be followed without exception, is that the coach takes the blame but spreads the credit. I guess it first really rubbed me the wrong way after the Montana game when it was all on the players, but there was no mention of the obvious changes in coaching philosophy late in the game that also played a big role in the collapse. And if the same problems recur week after week as has been the case for nearly two seasons now, is it not a matter of coaching? Seems to me that, at least to some extent, it is.

Maybe Stig could hire you to write his after game speech to make sure he says all the right things. I seem to remember certain people complaining about the same thing with Nagys after game speeches. Putting all the blame on the players.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                    Another game where we were our own worst enemy. I had more to say but some how deleted it. Just imo we looked like the better team in the first half and felt uni was lucky to have a lead but they are a good team and took advantage of our mistakes.

Second half they made adustments that workd. Ours didn't. Sumner had a hard time because they were on our routes ans wrs really well in 2nd half. Way to many costly penalties.

D looked good when agressive. Just got worn out and lost its fire. Missed tackles and getting dragged by the other team as they get a first down even when hit well before the line is getting old.

The whole team should be in pink jerseys next week except our punter who flat out imo gets team mvp. Ouch that was tough to say. But its true. Most consistant performer.
                    Players are getting bigger and stonger,as well as faster,we are too small on defense because we want to maintain speed, we get dragged for a first down.I don't know if it's the players fault he's too small,maybe it's recruiting.Only the elite programs get the kid who are physicaly gifted with size, speed and strength.The only thing we can do is get there faster with more tacklers to assist bringing the guy down.Another observation ,this pertains to UNI, twice on 3rd and short, they made long pass plays.First time OK, but to catch us on it twice, kinda suspect.Are the players playing defense according to what our offense would do , rather than the opposition or what? Just a question.
                    I think the team as a whole ,though, are playing much , much, better and more intense.Good to see,these guy's are fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                      We stuck 450-plus yards on a defense that was giving up less than 300 per game before last night. We lost because of mistakes the players made, not because the coaches didn't put the players in a position to win.

Here are a couple of facts unrelated to coaching that are holding us back. 1) We have the smallest football budget in the league. If you don't think that matters, you're kidding yourselves. 2) Another issue is scheduling. While NDSU is beating up on bottom-25 teams they pay to come to Fargo for two easy wins, we're playing SUU and Cal Poly (and even then, we should have beaten Poly but for some very poor plays at one position... things might have played out very differently had we won that game.)

Until we fix the budget and scheduling (related issues) we won't be an every-year contender. We'll be an every 3-year contender in those years where the stars align and we have sufficient numbers of remarkable players (Sumner and Zenner in a couple years, for example).

All that said, I feel optimistic about the future after this rebuilding period. Sumner is the most talented QB we have had since Berry (and he's potentially even better than Berry). The kid is a freshman, and he is a gamer, moving around and keeping his eyes downfield. Three straight 300+ yard passing games. Does he make mistakes? Sure. He's a freshman. Think he'll be pretty good next year? The year after that? The year after that? When you have a good QB, you have a chance. How about Zenner? He has toughness and speed. We're not going to the playoffs. I'm going to enjoy watching these young players develop. And you never know what can happen when you have an offense that can move it 450 yards against UNI.

Great post JJ.
                      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Don't know who 77 was on the O line, but he got destroyed every play he was in. He's not even on the program roster. I kid you not.
                        #77 is Andrew Mueller, who has been starting the last 2 weeks at TE (last 2 weeks he has been #95).

Comment

I have to disagree, and in fact, believe if you listen carefully to Coach Stig's comments, you will hear him bring coaches in on the responsibility issues almost every time, and when he "calls out players" or places the blame as you say, I think he is very careful to call out only players (and none by name) who make mistakes (and sometimes multiple mistakes), noting that it is the coaches responsibility to call those players out and as he said last night (paraphrased) "coach them up where they do not repeat those mistakes." He noted in his aftergame radio interview that a player (no name...but obviously a DB) had no run defense responsibilities on a formation, but immediately moved up to support the run defense, and missed his assignment on a player that then had a 20-yard advantage in hauling down a touchdown pass. Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post

My god man let it go, we had the #1 team in the nation on slate to come in and THEY backed out but all we hear is NDSU is scheduling patsies but GSU chose to beat up on a wussy team. We had 1 option to fill that date and to credit Gene he will NOT schedule DII.

Now, didnt get to see the UNI game so I cant comment on that
                            BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                              Why shouldnt he blame the players? How many fumbles, interceptions and penalties did Stig have?
                              I like the way the Marines do it, they tear a guy down and build him up the way they want him.They don't tear a guy down and leave him there,feeling inadequate,useless.By the time they finish boot camp , they're ready to march to hell and back if need be.....maybe it's harder in sports to make a team believe in themselves to do more than they thought they were capable of?A coach is basiclly the head manager of the team, it's his job to correct people when they need correcting ,and also to lift them up when they are down too,among many things.I don't think any coach does all things perfectly, but they should have a good grasp of every situation,enough to maintain stability at least.You can't let your team slip away from you, their leader.You have to keep them believig in themslves,then good things happen.

Comment

I think with the way Sumners been throwing the football, i think the rest of the year and the rest of his carreer, teams will be looking to put more pressure on him.Farley more or less said that in his halftime interview,"their QB is throwing the ball way to well,we've got to get more pressure on him".We need a running game to take the pressure off, it's that simple.

Comment

Working...
                                X