Indiana State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Indiana State

We have no chance aganist the run. Our defense is so slow. Do we have a D-line? Andy Mink is making plays, but usually down field following the play which is a good thing. We won't win another game this year.

Comment

Maybe I missed something but what happened to trevor thefelhaler? Sorry about the spelling. O line is not doing well. Sumner doing ok not much time to make his reads. And a td as I type this. Crowd was ready to explode in the first half but 3 fg took the starch out of us.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Moss took his spot, so why not put him on returns or a slot. Super Quick! We do not a have a deep route in the playbook. We need to score quick at the end of the game and we run the ball and throw screens. MEADOWS NEEDS TO GO!

Comment

Also, we do not run anything other than 2 WR sets. Gross.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
            Also, we do not run anything other than 2 WR sets. Gross.
            Also, going to the flash after that holding penalty inside the 10 in the first half was dumb. Just a waste of a play.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
              Also, going to the flash after that holding penalty inside the 10 in the first half was dumb. Just a waste of a play.
              Yeah that might have been the dumbest play call I have ever seen. It was 2nd and goal from outside the 10.

I thought Sumner looked good at times but made some bad decisions the pick 6 was a bad throw, he under threw his WR and it got tipped. Still shouldn't of been pick 6 but no one could tackle.He also has to get rid of the ball quicker, he takes way too many hits. The line wasn't helping much at times either, play calling was better at times but then would just have a dumb call in there. The running game was non-existent again. The defense looked really good for the first 26 minutes, the other 34 they really struggled. The DB's gave up way too many big plays. The special teams had 2 bad plays but they looked to be fluke plays, Gant looked like he was pushed or ran into just before attempting to catch the punt, Harris, I'm not sure what happened. It looked like he was in pain, I'm not an official but I thought that was an illegal kick because his hand touched it.

Overall the offense has to convert from inside the red-zone and the defense has to quit giving up big plays and letting the defense convert on 3rd and long.

Comment

Thought Sumner looked pretty good. Not great, but there's alot of potential there.

Zenner looks better than the guy he's backing up. I like Kool, I do, and he hasn't had any holes to work with, but Zenner looks better to my untrained eye.

Our Defense gives up more 3rd and 18, 19, 20's than any defense in History, I swear. Really crappy teams don't give up as many because they don't put teams in as many 3rd and 20's. We do it with regularity, and then give up a first down.

Nearly every time we break a nice return we get flagged. Sometimes two flags. It's happened every game. It has to be something that's coached. Or not coached. Or something. It happens WAAAY to often.

Speaking of things that happen too often. Late Hits. I understand it happening to the defense, sometimes. But our O-Line? What the hell?
                This has been going on for years, now. It needs to stop.

The really frustrating thing is, we're not bad. At least, we're not this bad. We played close the last two weeks against pretty good teams.

Our record is what it is, and we're 1-4. We're gonna win a couple more, maybe even a win or two that we shouldn't, but that's probably all.

I love coach Stig. I don't want to fire the staff. I don't think we need a "do-over". But something has to change. Something...

I have no idea what that is. I'm not a negative fan. I'm just confused and disappointed. I hope we can turn it around.

(Also, ISU's Bell is a wonderful player. He may be the best rb I've seen the Jacks play. At least in quite a while. Very impressive. Good power, burst, excellent speed, makes people miss. Fun to watch him run. Sad to watch him do it against us.)

Comment

There is a lot of bad going on on this team, but having only 3 field goals in the first half is unacceptable. That is a coaching issue that has to be addressed, because I shouldn't be able to call out the play pre-snap with almost a 100% accuracy, and it shouldn't take 3 red zone failures to figure out that Indiana State was completely selling out on the run. Also, there is a hundred different ways to run the ball (i.e. counters, traps, draws, zone stretch reads, pitches) yet we manage to run only in one place and never use play action.

As a coach, you can't block, tackle, or run for the players, but you can put them in position to succeed... and not only is that NOT happening, the players are being put in position to fail.
                  Last edited by Kemo; 10-01-2011, 09:44 PM.
                  If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                    There is a lot of bad going on this team, but not having only 3 field goals in the first half is unacceptable. That is a coaching issue that has to be addressed, because I shouldn't be able to call out the play pre-snap with almost a 100% accuracy, and it shouldn't take 3 red zone failures to figure out that Indiana State was completely selling out on the run. Also, there is a hundred different ways to run the ball (i.e. counters, traps, draws, zone stretch reads, pitches) yet we manage to run only in one place and never use play action.

As a coach, you can't block, tackle, or run for the players, but you can put them in position to succeed... and not only is that NOT happening, the players are being put in position to fail.
                    This my friend...is a great post! Also, whoever called the flash play on 2nd & goal from the 12 should never, ever be allowed to coach at any level ever again.
                    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

First thing, what a horrible injury to Harris.
                      The pick 6 thrown was a tipped ball. But even if the interception was legit, the poor tackling was just unacceptable.
                      What high school game did we find these refs. Not even going to list how bad they were.
                      Think the front lines on both sides of the ball need a lot of work. Really stupid late hit penalty on the O-line. Need to play smarter and not put your team in a hole.
                      Maybe when the opposing team has 10 people in the box, we might want to find a different place to run besides right up the middle or maybe run play action (First and goal from the 2 and we get a field goal? Really!!!!)

I really didn't think Sumner looked that bad. He stayed in the pocket when he had time, was willing to roll out to make a pass or even run upfield. The run game really needs to have a second play added to the offense(running up the middle is fine if you have a pounding running back like Kyle If you have finess, you run to the outsides). Can't fault Kool. The team looks good at times, but then they can drop a stinker on you. I think they are getting there.
                      Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Collegian's postgame coverage is here, including video:
                        http://www.sdsucollegian.com/2011/09...indiana-state/

Comment

If we ever want to get to the next level, Stig needs to go. Recruiting linebackers to play defensive tackle doesn't work at this level.

Comment

We just don't have speed. We are slow. We have a couple fast players, but our overall team speed is lacking.

Comment

First off this was a strange feel to this game. It could have been closer or frankly we could have won or could have been blown out. I didn't know what to think. Literally better play calling so fg turn into td and its a different game. I know woulda coulda shoulda but really a few playsmade this game there was like a sense of waiting for the wheels to fall off after the 3 fg imo. The D started jacked up. That was great to see. My concern was not so much with the flash play in side the 10. It was when we got the fumble recovery inside the 5 and can't ket it in. They had 10 guys in the box every play and we treid to go up the middle which every one in the staduim saw coming and go figure we can't get in. Our running game is non existant. We can't block and we can't run out side. That falls on coaches plain and simple. Our execution struggles and I can't blame the players effort. They try but it not enough.

Oline can only give enough time for the qb to make one read. Maybe that's why obrien use to force and keep his eyes on one wr. Sumner needs to see the play develop better but he can srcamble and I love watching him put his shoulder down. I think the team sees that effort. Sumner also can keep his eyes down field and still make a good throw on the scramble. He made a bad pass on the int but it tipped right to their guy and no way that should have been returned. We have a lot of good wr but we only see 2 or 3 in the game ever. Moss and rollin and hubert was it. We could reslly do much more with their talent and a good qb. I thought sumner played very smart.

D line tries but sre to small and no depth. Line backers some good plays but looked slow. Corners still need to watch for the ball but were keeping with the wrs a little better. They got bailed out on a lot dropped passes. Over D is slow but they truly picked up the effort and I thought that was noticable.

Special teams. We probably get more penalties on speical teams plays they we don't. I put that on coaching again. Feel bad for harris. Tough break out for the year. We make more bone head penalties then I have ever seen. That means players heads are not in it. Everyone who got a penalty called on them and the oline should be wearing pink jersys next week in practice and mink and sumner in black.

Stig needs to take over the offensive playbook and the oline needs something to fix it. Speaical teams stop holding and blocking in the back. Then again they got the punt block so that was good. D has had a long year but it not going to get easier. Just never give up and good things can happen.

Sorry for a long post but I had a lot of time driving back to sioux falls with the wife and baby sleeping so I had a lot to think about it.

One last thing. Bell why is he playing at isu blue. No offense to them but there are teams ranked in the top 25 fbs who can't run like he did. Quick and hard and good moves. Very effective.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

The playcalling in our goal line situations was atrocious.

Flash formation on 2nd down is my nominee for worst playcall of the year so far.

At least we saw a few downfield throws to Moss.

Sumner is going to be fine. Much more mobile and reads the field much better than TOB.

I haven't heard Stig say one good thing about Sumner. Do they have a beef with each other? Is there more going on behind the scenes then we know, especially given the TOB story?

I am starting to become a believer that the team has tuned Stig out. His "belief" and "confidence" mantras only go so far.

Best part of the night for me was listening to the Art Bell paranormal show from 1996 on WNAX after the postgame on the drive home. Good stuff!

Comment

Working...
                                X