Southern Utah - Gameday Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Southern Utah - Gameday Thread

Stig made it sound like Daughters injury was fairly severe and he hoped he could make it back before season's end. I wouldn't be surprised if he tore something, it looked like dropped to the ground with out much contact and than just fumbled the ball.
    I hope for the best, by all accounts he's worked really hard and was finally in place to make things happen.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
      Stig made it sound like Daughters injury was fairly severe and he hoped he could make it back before season's end. I wouldn't be surprised if he tore something, it looked like dropped to the ground with out much contact and than just fumbled the ball.
      I hope for the best, by all accounts he's worked really hard and was finally in place to make things happen.
      He did walk off the field on his own, so maybe that's a good sign???
      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Seems like the privacy rules which are sanctioned but not made by NCAA come into play here. Stig is prevented from commenting in details and what he said in the post radio show, it looks like Daughters will sit out the rest of the season. I thought a flag should have been thrown on this play as the SUU defender pushed him into that banner which was clearly outside the boundries. Maybe being across field limits my view. Sheehan and Benedetto are available at TE, but both are probably used as blocking backs on some of the running plays. Other than Brad Iverson we have no one else unless we pull a red shirt.

Comment

For the most part I was very happy with what I saw right up until TOB threw that pick six. He played pretty well up until then but that pass was awful and so was the play call. That safety was completely sitting on that play. It seems like all we have thrown for two years is 0-5 yard swing passes. The other teams watch films and they are looking for them. Time to try and get the ball down the field and make them respect the entire passing game.

Really liked our defense, RB's and the WR's.

It was huge to get a win for confidence. It should have been by two touchdowns but will take it.

BTW-good to see the crowd into it and the band in the endzone was a great move for the fans and the band!

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

That was a terrible throw for the pick 6 but not completely TOB's fault. It was supposed to be a quick hit throw but there was a high snap that TOB fumbled with a bit before trying to hurry the throw to the flat.

Anyone know how freshman tight end Cam Jones looked in fall camp? I saw him on the sidelines and he looks ready to play physically, I wonder if there is any chance his red-shirt gets pulled?

Comment

Agree with Superbunny. Having the band in the end zone was great. The crowd can see them, and they were cheering like crazy on that last play. They really add a lot to the game day experience, and being able to watch them jumping around adds even more.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                That was a terrible throw for the pick 6 but not completely TOB's fault. It was supposed to be a quick hit throw but there was a high snap that TOB fumbled with a bit before trying to hurry the throw to the flat.
                The snap might have been high, but he could have just thrown the ball away. That pass was forced and shouldn't have been made. TOB did look good at times. But he was rushing a lot of his passes, esp. in the first half. Scared the hell out of me when he was looking to the right and just threw the ball to the left side lines. Don't know if he knew a receiver was there or not, just seemed like he threw to a spot. For the most part, he played a decent game. The screen passes did work pretty good. Good hands for the running backs. But I also agree that we can't just run that one play. I was really really really happy to see the TE motion which causes the other team to react by doing nothing didn't return until the second half. Maybe next game we can get rid of it completely.
                Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

I have been told that it is a torn ACL for Daughters. He should be able to get a medical redshirt right?
                  Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                    I have been told that it is a torn ACL for Daughters. He should be able to get a medical redshirt right?
                    I would think so. Kyle Sheenan got a medical redshirt and that is why he is still on the field this year. I am not sure when he had injuries, but it must have been awhile back. If Daughters is doing okay in the classroom and making progress toward a degree, he should get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      I would think so. Kyle Sheenan got a medical redshirt and that is why he is still on the field this year. I am not sure when he had injuries, but it must have been awhile back. If Daughters is doing okay in the classroom and making progress toward a degree, he should get it.
                      Bad news for the Jacks. Anytime a #1 goes down there will be a drop off. I hope he gets the medical redshirt.

Comment

Agree with most of the things I read here today.

I thought OBrien looked much better. More in control. A couple of inaccurate throws, and really only two I saw that shouldn't have been thrown. One into coverage, and the one on the high snap. Loved the time he stepped up in the pocket and hit Hubert across the middle. Also ate the ball for a sack a couple times, that last year he would have tried to force something. He's got to not throw that one on the bad snap though...that was a panic move.

Kool looked better than I thought he'd be. Zenner looked really good.

People complaining about the playcalling... the screens and swing passes...
                        You do realize So. Utah was blitzing 2-4 guys nearly every play? at least one dude up the middle every play.

The screens and swing passes were open. Actually very good play calling. But we probably went to it a little too often.

Pistol Formation was used almost 50% of the time. No full Shotgun plays that I saw. Everything out of the pistol. I formation/ Pistol/ 2 TE's.
                        The loss of Daughters is big.

Defensive line was great as were the linebackers. So. Utah returned their entire offensive line, including the Great West's lineman of the year last year. We got pressure up the middle, from the end, etc, etc.. And this was without Bowers.

Secondary actually played well. This was possibly the best qb we'll see all year, probably the top returning qb in the FCS, who threw 6 picks all year last year. Had 3, and yes, I know 2 were by linebackers, but there was a reason he was "checking down" to the inside routes where the lber's were.

Punter was phenomenal.

Didn't understand myself why they went for 2?

This was a dominating performance for 3 quarters against a very good team.

A win is a win is a win.

Hopeful we can hang around with Illinois next week.

Comment

I said in the stands they should go for 1, but when they decided to go for 2, my reaction was 'Holy ****e'. Suppose he didn't want to risk SDSU getting the ball in overtime but I was really shocked he picked the 2. Very close to working out for them (route across the middle of course).
                          Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                            I said in the stands they should go for 1, but when they decided to go for 2, my reaction was 'Holy ****e'. Suppose he didn't want to risk SDSU getting the ball in overtime but I was really shocked he picked the 2. Very close to working out for them (route across the middle of course).
                            I know the old tale goes go for 2 on the road, but to me they would have had the momentum gonin into overtime. In the college overtime both teams get the ball so it is not sudden death. Also, with the inaccuracy of our field goal team a simple field goal in OT could have been the difference. Oh well thanks coach for going for 2.

Comment

Originally posted by ghomestead1 View Post
                              I know the old tale goes go for 2 on the road, but to me they would have had the momentum gonin into overtime. In the college overtime both teams get the ball so it is not sudden death. Also, with the inaccuracy of our field goal team a simple field goal in OT could have been the difference. Oh well thanks coach for going for 2.
                              So. Utah had all the momentum since the long TD pass and making the 2 pt. conversion to get back to 29-15. Gutsy call by their coach and a good call. Coach Stig would have done the same thing.Easy to 2nd guess after the fact.

Comment

Just watched the condensed game on GoJacks.com. One thing I noticed watching that I didn't pick up on Saturday was how well the receivers blocked. They are going to bust open some runs with Kool/Zenner looking to bounce things outside.

Comment

Working...
                                X