Southern Utah - Gameday Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Southern Utah - Gameday Thread

#1. Zenner, Kool and Tiefenthaler are skilled players. Finally nice to see a receiver that can get separation from the db's. He was open all night.
    #2. TOB only looks one way. He never sees a second receiver, he always locks in and never goes anywhere else.
    #3. I don't believe Southern Utah is that good of a team.
    #4. Illinois will look at this film and say, looks like we have to stop the rb swing pass and then sit on their 7 yd outs. We need to be able to thrown down the field.
    #5. Nice to get a win though!!!!

Comment

The problem with TOB is has way too many WTF moments. He should of had one for sure maybe two more picks brought back for six. I blame the play calling to certain degree because it is fairly obvious he can't throw an out. Somebody also mentioned that the students were chanting "We want Sumner". It wasn't only the students thinking this, most folks sitting around me felt the same. For every good play he makes he has four bad passes or decisions. I don't see us winning with TOB running the show. It is time for a change.

Comment

Originally posted by TailGatr View Post
        #1. Zenner, Kool and Tiefenthaler are skilled players. Finally nice to see a receiver that can get separation from the db's. He was open all night.#2. TOB only looks one way. He never sees a second receiver, he always locks in and never goes anywhere else.#3. I don't believe Southern Utah is that good of a team. #4. Illinois will look at this film and say, looks like we have to stop the rb swing pass and then sit on their 7 yd outs. We need to be able to thrown down the field.#5. Nice to get a win though!!!!
        Good post. I completely agree with #3. I was at the game and I wasn't impressed by them. If SDSU takes care of the ball they win by 20 pts
        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

If they had anything for a real running game, that game would have been a loss. The play that was killing us last night was them running a receiver across the middle in a wide open spot. Maybe I was just seeing something different than everyone else but the middle was so open. I will agree with the previous posts regarding TOB focusing on one receiver too much. We do have some pretty good receivers this year (and I'm including the running backs in that group---good hands). Seems some of the offensive line is banged up already. Have to keep the team injuries down.
          Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

I was going to do grades for the positions, but thought about it and it was tough to judge because the fourth quarter was so much more different from the first three.

I'll disagree a little bit on TOB only looking at one guy all the time. Yes he did do that yesterday (see the pass into triple coverage previously discussed), but then there was the touchdown where his first and second options were covered and he rolled to the right to find the open man. The swing passes to the RB's were effective yesterday, but they won't be every week. Overall, I'd say he had a slightly above average day. And he had 2 TO's and they won. That's a first, isn't it?

Kool is good, but he's going to get run down with 35 touches a week. His one-handed catch was pretty sweet. And his slamming between the tackles in no way reminds me of #30. He's going to be better outside the tackles. Zenner's smaller than I thought, but seems to have a good combination of speed and power. I'd give him more than 5 carries a week. But I would imagine if Clare ever gets healthy, Zenner will have these stats about every week.

None of the receivers stood out in a good way or a bad way. They all looked effective and there seems to be an abundance of them. Still wanted to see the lob to Moss down at the goal line. I can't believe Daughter's injury was that bad. It didn't look like anything at all. That's not good at all. He's a big target and had good hands yesterday.

I don't know if SUU made the adjustments or the d-line just ran out of gas, but they seemed to disappear. Steffen had a sweet spin move in the first half, whiffs on the QB and stuck with it and still went and got him. That play stood out to me. Peete might start after his performance. The LBs seemed to be good against the run, but with the exception of the int's less effective against the pass.

The DB's were hit and miss. The pass interference call was correct. Turn around and see the ball! The long TD was more of a perfect throw than bad coverage, IMO. Definately have some work to do with these guys, but SUU is supposedly a very good team through the air, so maybe this was a good learning session for them.

How many years is it going to take to figure out what Kyle Harris is? Big leg, horrendous accuracy. He hasn't changed in four years. This guy will lose the Jacks a game this year. I should be able to get up after a TD to take a piss before they kick the extra point and know when I come back to my seat they are going to have that point on the board.

The new punter seemed to be fine. His average got screwed up from the punt he had to re-kick because of the penalty. The coverage teams did a really nice job.

At the end of the 3rd quarter, I thought the defending Great West champions were a joke, and unfortunately I think the Jacks team did too. I still don't really know what to think of SUU. With the number of returning starters they have, I guess I have to assume they are a decent team. But I do have to say I haven't been that aggravated about a win in awhile when I left the stadium last night. Improve every week and hopefully the Jacks (including the coaches) learned that daggers in the other team's heart don't occur in the 3rd quarter (unless it's like 56-7).

Illinois won 33-15 over Arkansas St. yesterday and had two guys with over 100 yards receiving, so it looks like the DBs are going to get some more seasoning next week. Hopefully the Arizona St game looming the next week throws the Illini focus off a little bit. The Jacks have played well in their last to FBS games (actually I don't know that they played well against the Gophers). Maybe, just maybe, they can pull one of these payday games off.

Comment

Originally posted by TailGatr View Post
              #1. Zenner, Kool and Tiefenthaler are skilled players. Finally nice to see a receiver that can get separation from the db's. He was open all night.
              #2. TOB only looks one way. He never sees a second receiver, he always locks in and never goes anywhere else.
              #3. I don't believe Southern Utah is that good of a team.
              #4. Illinois will look at this film and say, looks like we have to stop the rb swing pass and then sit on their 7 yd outs. We need to be able to thrown down the field.
              #5. Nice to get a win though!!!!
              Get used to the fact that we are not a throw the ball down the field offense. So. Utah's right corner was weak and we could have worked him all night- just like they worked Bo Helm. Thats not a dig to Helm but the fact is they picked on him and we did not do that. Zenner and Kool give us a nice 1-2 punch. Losing Daughters will be huge. Our LBers played well like we expected. Momentum in a football game is key and we were damn lucky to hold on. Missed extra points is totally unacceptable. Gant dropped a ball last night on a kickoff return and was immediately replaced for the next kick. My guess is Harris might be as well. Gotta like the kickoffs though that he put in the end zone but he did have the wind behind him on those. Hope to see improvement in each game cause the schedule gets much tougher from here.

Comment

I think having the plays where two defenders get hit in the back screams out that something needs to be worked on there.That happens ,I think, because people don't back peddle and transition to the offensive player blowing by enough(man on man), or the coverage is overloaded in one area and the pick ups and adjustments happen too slowly....I'm JUST GUESSING because i'm not real familiar with how those things work,but I think it shows need for some things to be worked out.Arm chair QB'ing here, but I too thought SUU looked weak compared to what we will see in the MVFC,and against Illinois we won't have the luxury of not having to worry too much about the run.Big difference with playing SUU.Over all,this team shows good promise if they get a few more things perfected.I'm optomistic that this will be a good season.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
                  Gotta like the kickoffs though that he put in the end zone but he did have the wind behind him on those. Hope to see improvement in each game cause the schedule gets much tougher from here.
                  Have to beg to differ, as both my wife and I noted (on at least the last two), that there was absolutely no wind and the flag was hanging straight down. He has a tremendous leg, and it is a legitimate weapon for us. Will be interesting to see what the coaches do in regards to the most reliable field goal kicker on the team (I'm not sure who that is and maybe they don't either).

As for some of the comments on TOB (not by SpeedRabbit), especially the "we can't win with him at QB", I'm always amazed at the insight of these posters. I mean, they must be right, because obviously the coaches who work with the team all fall camp and every day during the season, don't have a concern for keeping the best players on the field!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                    Have to beg to differ, as both my wife and I noted (on at least the last two), that there was absolutely no wind and the flag was hanging straight down. He has a tremendous leg, and it is a legitimate weapon for us. Will be interesting to see what the coaches do in regards to the most reliable field goal kicker on the team (I'm not sure who that is and maybe they don't either).

As for some of the comments on TOB (not by SpeedRabbit), especially the "we can't win with him at QB", I'm always amazed at the insight of these posters. I mean, they must be right, because obviously the coaches who work with the team all fall camp and every day during the season, don't have a concern for keeping the best players on the field!
                    TOB is our man, at least that is what Coach Stig mentioned at the Difference Makers meeting. He did not elborate, but he said Sumner was not quite ready. If TOB goes down to an injury, then Sumner is our man, but until then.... I hope I am not spilling the beans here.

Yes as the game went on the wind did go down, and losing the coin toss did not matter. I thought SUU choice of deferral might be a factor affecting the out come and thought our kicking game looked good despite the wind which turned out to be a non factor towards the end. This has to be one of the better games I seen in my lifetime. At least the ending was exciting, and not a disappointment like McNeese on Hobo Day a few years back.

Comment

The wind clearly impacted the kicks all night, though it died down some. The flag was what was deceptive. The distance of the kicks and how they flew through the air showed the impact of the wind. Hey, speaking of the kicking game...was it the coaches or players who don't have a clue who is on the special teams units? Once, we had only 10 guys on the filed and SUU took a penalty. Before the penalty was announced, the ref came to the sidelines and said, "County your players, Coach. Count your players, Coach." And the fans were yelling, "You only have 10!" And they just had no idea down there. We had 30+ seconds from the time the ref came over and basically told the team flat-out that we were a man short and...nothing...then we raced a guy on at the last second. And there were issues later in the game, too. Somebody needs to pull their head out. Not sure who.

Zenner was a real highlight. Meant to mention that earlier. Small, but effective.

I think we have some work to do on coverage, for sure. It was great for the second and third quarters, but we had our backs to the ball a lot. Way too much. And they tried the bomb a few times...a sign they could sense they could break one. The middle was open a lot, as others have said.

I think it's unfair to say O'Brien didn't show improvement, but time will tell how much. Somebody else mentioned the play where he was in trouble, rolled right and found a man for a TD. I don't remember any such happenings last year. There were other instances in which he looked more calm, too. But there were a couple of real noodle-scratchers. He has to eliminate those and that message has to be made clear to him/get through. Unfortunately for him, when he makes mistakes, they seem to be foolish ones that counter the good work he does. Or at least it seems that way to me. I suppose that's the perception because of how he played last year. Last year was not even close to good enough. I'm willing to give him a pass for Game 1 and see what happens.

At wide receiver, Tiefenthaler impressed, in my opinion. He's going to be a good one and could lead what looks like a good bunch of young receivers. Daughters injury is a pity. We'll see what we do at TE or how he heals up.

It will be interesting to see how Southern Utah does this year. They're certainly going to rack up some points. Wonder if it will lead to a bunch of wins in the Great West. I'm really curious.
                      Last edited by JackFan96; 09-04-2011, 01:18 PM.
                      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

I think TOB did a much better job stepping up in the pocket and moving around to give himself time to make a few throws. The first touchdown pass and the rollout for the TD pass to Sheehan were both plays that TOB didn't make last season.

He still has room to improve, but for about 90% of the game last night I thought he played really well.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                          I know the mantra is "no stars"... but I saw a bunch of potential stars last night. Going in, I was wishing we were playing some cupcake (like the two wins our friends to the north buy each year) but the team should feel pretty good about beating a salty squad like SUU.
                          Very nice to see a positive post about last night. I wasn't able to watch the game due to conflicts, reading some of the comments today makes me wonder if we could be the worst team in the MFVC and, could very well be the worst team in the history of SDSU. Some may not be impressed with SUU but could our play have had something to do with how or former GWFC mates looked? I'm thinking we need to figure out a way to bring in more money so we can pull in some FCS schools playing at a D3 level like our friends up north. Maybe a win over powerful Lafayette instead of weak SUU would make us all feel better.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                            I think TOB did a much better job stepping up in the pocket and moving around to give himself time to make a few throws. The first touchdown pass and the rollout for the TD pass to Sheehan were both plays that TOB didn't make last season.

He still has room to improve, but for about 90% of the game last night I thought he played really well.
                            Agreed.
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                              Very nice to see a positive post about last night. I wasn't able to watch the game due to conflicts, reading some of the comments today makes me wonder if we could be the worst team in the MFVC and, could very well be the worst team in the history of SDSU. Some may not be impressed with SUU but could our play have had something to do with how or former GWFC mates looked? I'm thinking we need to figure out a way to bring in more money so we can pull in some FCS schools playing at a D3 level like our friends up north. Maybe a win over powerful Lafayette instead of weak SUU would make us all feel better.
                              The crowd was surly all night last night. I think once people start to get to know players like Zenner, people will feel better about this team. I thought the Jacks played better last night than they did at home most of last year. TOB made a couple of plays. Kool showed he is a threat in the passing game and running game. The defense held up reasonably well until the end when they were clearly tired because they were rushing the passer about every down.

You're right. SUU would kick the crap out of Lafayette.

I can't understand how people can say SUU isn't good. They won their conference last year. They brought back most everybody. They have an all-American quarterback. Any team with that kid pitching the ball around is going to get some wins.

TOB completed 27 of 40 for 279, 3 TDs and 2 picks. The pick-6 was a dumb decision, mindful of last year. The other pick was just a batted ball where a lineman made a great play. He looked in command to me with only three or four WTF throws all night. Also, I wonder if others noticed what I did: In the first half, our offense seemed more varied with some pass plays I haven't seen before. In the second half, it looked like a carbon copy of last year. Was that just my imagination? It sure seemed that way.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                                This has to be one of the better games I seen in my lifetime. At least the ending was exciting, and not a disappointment like McNeese on Hobo Day a few years back.
                                We don't like to talk about that Hobo Day game.
                                You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Working...
                                X