Southern Utah - Gameday Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Southern Utah - Gameday Thread

Was nice to see we can move the ball. The early interference call was correct, dammit. Really nice to see the defense do some good things, like shut down the run, completely. Peete was a beast upfront along with Steffen, 2 headed monster? And, the LBs were flying around nicely. Our kicking game left 4 points on the field, 'nuff said. TOB needs to relax and take time to check off. Whenever he got in a hurry or tried to force the play not so good, when he took time to work with the flow much better. He has receivers! And the best news is State still has a running game. The RBs looked fine, Kool is going to crack open a few big ones.
    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

All things being equal it's better to start with an opponent like this rather than a powder puff like our friends up north seem to prefer. Even with the missteps, a W is a W. But had they gotten the two, this would have been an absolute crusher. Go Jacks!

Comment

I'm having a brain fart...TOB had 2 picks, one returned for a TD...when was the other one???
        "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
          I'm having a brain fart...TOB had 2 picks, one returned for a TD...when was the other one???
          First Half D-line tipped ball and pick by the same player.

Comment

This needn't have been such a nail biter had SDSU not gone for, and failed, a 2-point conversion. Or missed the earlier PAT. Actually, with 2-3 mistakes erased and this looks more like the domination it was going into the 4th qtr. SUU is a very explosive team that will make more than a couple opponents look bad.
            You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
              Was nice to see we can move the ball. The early interference call was correct, dammit.
              Yeah. And he (37, Luxa I believe) did it again late in the fourth and didn't get called for it. L.U.C.K.Y.
              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Difference on the second one is that Luxa stopped. The defender doesn't have to allow the receiver to run through him. In the first one the defender didn't stop. Had he stopped before the ball hit him in the back it would've been a no call.

Comment

As well as Kool ran and caught, and with O'Brien showing some more maturity and improvement... I really think the defense was the real stars... 4 sacks, two picks, and a whole mess of pass breakups. They bent, but they also stepped up when it counted.
                  I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Going to keep her short for now. I guess any win is a good win, eh? But...inconsistent is a word that comes to mind. Actually, whichever team was moving with the wind controlled play. Real bone-head decision by the coaches to try and kick the field goal before half. Was there a better chance of making that than picking up two yards? No. A decent amount of really good stuff from TOB...and a few really bad things. He should have had another pick when he threw one into triple coverage...first half I think. As great as Kool played, he would have been a huge, huge goat had we lost. That fumble and the returned interception were just unacceptable. The D looked great at times, but basically rolled over in the fourth. Aside from the pick and the last play...ick. We throw that many swing passes next week against Illinois and more than one will get taken back, I promise that. All that said, though, I think there was more good than bad. Maybe pretty easily. We moved the ball. We played really good D for three quarters. Too many penalties, but some stuff to build on.
                    Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

They sure put the offense in some nice places to win...the offense did not always return the favor though by putting the defense in some nice places to lose. All in all a lot of good things were learned about this team.
                      With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Thoughts:

TOB showed some big strides when he wasn't in a rush, and actually went out and read the defense instead of starring down receivers. If he could just get rid of those "WTF" moments (the INT for a TD and there was 1 or 2 he others he got away with) this team can win a lot of games with him at the helm.

The running game isn't going to be dropping off from last year even with losing Minett. The line is solid (though missed some blocks here and there) and will only get better, and Kool and Zenner are going to be a real good one-two punch.

The receivers didn't disappoint, and Tiefenthaler looked as good as advertised. Interested to see how they match up next week against Illinois and see if they can get some separation against Big Ten corners. Sad to see Daughters might be out for the season.

Defense line played well against a good offensive line, but they faded a little at the end. Getting Bowers back will be nice to add some more depth.

Linebackers were solid and made plays against the passing game. Interested to see how they'll do against a more run dominant offense.

Secondary was probably as good as you could expect from a young group. Giving up the bomb to let SUU back in the game was the most obvious error of the night.

Special teams were hot and cold all night. Zenner really impressed on the returns. Harris missing an extra point was disappointing, but his kickoffs were awesome for most of the night. Wonder if Harris will be relegated to just kickoffs in the future and let Syrovatka handle the FGs.

The bottom line:
                        This team has the talent to be competitive in every game, they just need to avoid costly turnovers and penalties. Hopefully the game-one-to-game-two improvement that every coach talks about holds true and the Jacks can compete for a playoff spot.
                        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                        - Steven Wright

Comment

On a side note, anyone see the gigantic football painted around the rabbit logo on the 50? I thought it looked out of place...and confirmed it when I saw that they accidentally initially painted the Jackrabbit on the 45 (dykhouse side) and tried to use the football to cover it up. Oh I would of loved to have been there to see the look on their faces when they realized the goof.

Comment

I was only there for the first half, so I can only base it off that. But why did Moss not even get a look when he was in?? I know they are trying to get him into gameflow from being away for 4 years but how hard is it to run turn around jump and catch the ball.
                            "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Our running game may top last year in ability once it is fined tuned. I do not expect Tyrell Kool being the goat again or near goat. His fumble was unfortunate, but it was costly. Zenner and Tiefenthaler had break out games and will continue to shine. Our defense really step up against a very good QB with 4 sacks and 3 int's, but they too have to continue to improve. Most of Sorensen's completions were to open receivers, and there an area that needs work.

One close game does not make a season, but I think I got 105 bucks worth enjoyment last night. I am sure I would be saying something else if Dirk Kool had not knocked down that pass for the two point conversion.

Comment

I know the mantra is "no stars"... but I saw a bunch of potential stars last night. Going in, I was wishing we were playing some cupcake (like the two wins our friends to the north buy each year) but the team should feel pretty good about beating a salty squad like SUU.
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X