Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Southern Utah - Gameday Thread

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    Also, I wonder if others noticed what I did: In the first half, our offense seemed more varied with some pass plays I haven't seen before. In the second half, it looked like a carbon copy of last year. Was that just my imagination? It sure seemed that way.
    I wonder if the crowds attitude had something to do with the hard feelings of last years failure to live up to expectations. I think there is some talent on this roster and I expect some surprises as the year goes on. The key will be TOB not turning the ball over and keeping his head in the game. He has some targets this year and he has a very good backfield which will take pressure off him. I believe TV has been telling us how good Zenner is going to be. I see him getting more and more action as the season rolls along. As for the play calling, what you say occurred in the second half seems to be a trend we have all seen the past few years. Get a lead and play to not lose instead of playing to win. Whoever is calling the plays this year (pretty sure I know who) needs to get beyond that mentality. Keep the gas on until the opponent gives up.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
      Also, I wonder if others noticed what I did: In the first half, our offense seemed more varied with some pass plays I haven't seen before. In the second half, it looked like a carbon copy of last year. Was that just my imagination? It sure seemed that way.
      Yes, I saw that also.
      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

I still don't think we utilize play action fakes enough, but I counted three last night, which was more in 1 game than I remember from last year. The most notable fake last night was near the goal line when TOB hit the TE for a TD. The TE was wiiiiiide open and TOB had all day to throw. Hmm. It's almost as if when a team runs as much as we do, play action fakes are useful.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
          ...I'm thinking we need to figure out a way to bring in more money so we can pull in some FCS schools playing at a D3 level like our friends up north. Maybe a win over powerful Lafayette instead of weak SUU would make us all feel better...
          LOL...good sarcasm.

We took on a tough opponent yesterday. It was a game many outsiders thought SUU would win. The game film should be an excellent teaching tool, showing what we did right and what we need to work on. And we have an opening "W" in the books. In the final few minutes of the game, SUU became extremely dangerous with its quarterback living up to pre-season predictions and expectations. If there was anyone in the stadium who had no preference for which team won, they really got their money's worth in this game. There was a lot of hard hitting and the game wasn't decided until the end.

Comment

A few other observations about the game...

The new south bleachers are nice...the band sounded good but may have to adjust a little to a slight echo off the Dykhouse Center and keep an eye on the director (at times they were just a hair out of sync and I wonder if being spread out left/right as opposed to the verticle alignment from the past when in the west stands).*

The team's intro was 100-times more coordinated than last year's opening game. Personally,I liked using elements from prior years (like the music) so that the fans were looking at the team, not the videoboard, as it ran out of the new rabbit tunnel.

I was reminded, as I am whenever attending games at CAS, it's good to sit at an outdoor football game where the focus was on hard hitting without the distraction gimmics (e.g. fireworks or cannon shots after scores; captain of the cheer squad doubling as the public address announcer, -- bush league stuff like that).

The punter we picked up from UNO is a good one!

If anyone had questions about whether we have some running backs...questions were confidently answered. With the exception of the fumble, Kool started well and seemed to get better throughout the game. Zach Zenner showed some serious acceleration at times.

We have capable receivers, including Kool. Brandon Hubert does not drop the football.

The loss of Seth Daughters to what appeared to be a bad knee injury, really hurts. Daughters was playing very well in the tradition of SDSU tight ends in recent years.

[*Advertisement for the Band...the Band is raising money for their Orlando trip to participate in the Citrus Parade...$10 chances for a new 2012 Blue Flame Ford Fusion...drawing to be held 10/22/11 at halftime of the NDSU game. Buy tickets!]

Comment

The problem I had with TOB"S performance is that it was like the only passes he looked good on were the screen passes, and even his plays for a good gain weren't good throws, I.E. the first pass of the game. Against a better secondary, that is picked off. I don't doubt that he must be our best QB or Stig wouldn't have him in there, but man even his completed passes 90% of the time are bad passes that our receivers make good catches on. But, he is our QB for better or worse. He did have a much better pocket presence than last year I think. Otherwise, I think we have a lot of room for improvement from top to bottom for the team but it was great to get a win at the home opener!
              Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Does anyone know the status of Seth Daughters? Was it just a knee sprain....or did he tear something?
                LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                  Does anyone know the status of Seth Daughters? Was it just a knee sprain....or did he tear something?
                  My assumption is that he'll get an MRI today or Monday and they'll know for sure. Well, maybe Tuesday because of Labor Day.
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Didn't seem like a big deal at the time. But do we really need to go for 2 up by 22? Almost cost the Rabbits (thank god it did not). I was told by another college coach if your lead is north of 15 points never go for two. Just curious what others think.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                      The problem I had with TOB"S performance is that it was like the only passes he looked good on were the screen passes, and even his plays for a good gain weren't good throws, I.E. the first pass of the game. Against a better secondary, that is picked off. I don't doubt that he must be our best QB or Stig wouldn't have him in there, but man even his completed passes 90% of the time are bad passes that our receivers make good catches on. But, he is our QB for better or worse. He did have a much better pocket presence than last year I think. Otherwise, I think we have a lot of room for improvement from top to bottom for the team but it was great to get a win at the home opener!
                      I disagree, I guess. He made some solid throws on outs and crossing routes and even had some balls dropped. The deep ball he threw, he should have thrown earlier, but if he wasn't throwing into 30 mph wind, it would have looked a lot better. He made 2 great throws on the move after he avoided pressure: the one over the middle to the WR that I cannot remember and the one on the TD.

He made some bad throws for sure, but he showed obvious strides of someone that is getting better.

Comment

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
                        Didn't seem like a big deal at the time. But do we really need to go for 2 up by 22? Almost cost the Rabbits (thank god it did not). I was told by another college coach if your lead is north of 15 points never go for two. Just curious what others think.
                        I know that pro and a lot of college coaches use a 2 pt chart that gives the score and situation where it is mathematically beneficial to go for two.

I do not know if that is what Stig was using or if that was the actual reasoning behind the decision. I found one online, but I haven't read it or looked to see where our situation fell, but just thought I'd give an example: http://www.footballcommentary.com/twoptchart.htm

Comment

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post

I wondered the same thing. Why didnt we go for 2, 5 minutes before that to go up 17. If you kick the extra point on the last TD, youre up 23 and they need to get 2-2pt conversions instead of 1. I guess thats why im in the stands nervous as hell and Stig is on the sidelines(maybe nervous as hell too) I heard someone behind me say, he would still be nervous if we were up 100-3. I felt the same way. We still have Montana in our minds

Comment

On the PATs...didn't we miss one and that combined with the fact that we were moving the ball well otherwise-- well, why not go for two, it seemed a better bet at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                              On the PATs...didn't we miss one and that combined with the fact that we were moving the ball well otherwise-- well, why not go for two, it seemed a better bet at the time.

He missed the first one but made the next 2 PATs. If you cant trust your kicker to make the PAT's , youd better find a different kicker. But i dont think we went for 2 because it was a better bet at the time.

Comment

All summer I was going back and forth on the team losing a great running back like Kyle. I am not worried any longer.

This team finally has a true double threat out of the backfield. Defenses are going to have to gameplan for a RB that can do damage without being handed the ball right after the snap. Hopefully having this type of safety valve option will allow TOB to relax in the pocket. Of course it is only one game, but we are already ahead of last year.
                                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X