Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU vs. Illinois

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
    I'm fairly confident that there are other coin counters at SDSU that would strongly disagree with you, but I won't let a few jerks on this board hinder my support for the University.

Thank you Goon and Yoteforever for effectively stating what I could not.

The beauty and yet the ugliness of message boards: Calling out folks you have never met behind a cute screen name.
    Yeah, I was out-of-line. No other excuse for me I deserve the reprimand.

I will say that those individuals working to set up these events are trying to do their best to satisfy the attendees as well as the mission. I thank them for that and want their efforts to continue.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post

I will say that those individuals working to set up these events are trying to do their best to satisfy the attendees as well as the mission. I thank them for that and want their efforts to continue.
      A very good point. 89 and staff have a very thankless job. They have limited resources and often have to pass on the sharing of costs such as this hotel room to the attendees, and often they catch all the flack for doing so. For TK's info, I am not wealthy. Thanks to my degree at SDSU, I always had a job that paid reasonable wages. I spent many years away from Brookings, but SDSU has always held a place in my heart. I have served on the Alumni Council, and was lucky to get the opportunity to serve. During this short period of time, I got to see how sausage was made especially that relating to social events before athletic events and other events. I also learned that the Alumni Council was a separate organization from the SDSU Foundation. The foundation raises money for countless causes while the Alumni Associaiton is set up to keep track of alumni and keep them informed of events going on at SDSU. The Alumni Association does not have a big budget to work with. 89 touched on the endowment that he is currently working on which will help fund these events. I had thought that some thing of this nature was needed. When I left my final job,I am retired by the way, I had a bunch of annual leave on the books which I collected and it created a big tax problem. I had accumlated some stock in a company that I worked for a period of fifteen years. I donated this stock to the Alumni Assocation and with the SDSU Foundation set up an endowment. The proceeds from this donation were sufficent to set up an endowment that yields about 800 bucks a year which the Alumni association can use for a number of purposes in their budget.

I sorry TK I did not have a million bucks to donated so that the Alumni Association did not have to charge you 25 bucks for your hot dog. I will keep trying though, and maybe some day someone with a million will make it possible for the working poor to attend these events free of charge.
      If I appear troubled with this chip on TK shoulder, then I guess I am knocking it off with this post.

I am not hiding behind a handle,TK. Look at my profile, my name is fully disclosed.
      Last edited by Nidaros; 03-04-2011, 11:01 PM.

Comment

I make one suggestion and get crucified for it, which is exactly why I spend so little time on this Board.

At no time did I say 89 or any other of our representatives did a poor job with the gathering, nor did I say I didn't have a bad time.

Some of u need to get a life, or at least pick the Kleenex up off your keyboard.

Yes, someone pissed in my cheerios, ie gave both my kids Influenza B.
        Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.
        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Hot dogs and burgers are fine, but not for a $20/$25 "alumni gathering". I don't care if it is "all you can eat". If it is a fundraiser, let's call it that.

Maybe it is because I got there late, but I swear that all that was there was some salads, footlongs, hamburgers, baked beans, chips, brownies, and some other side items. My memory may be fading and I could be incorrect, but I know for a fact that I was not the only one at our table who made the comment that they were unimpressed with the food choices.

I'm not saying we need filet mignon, but I personally expected "more" in quality, not quantity. And no, I was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth.

For all I care, we can have alumni gatherings in a public park, BYOB and BYOF. I'll even help move the picnic tables around!

and you can rip into me starting...........NOW
          As a representative of the hospitality industry the price for that room alone was probably a couple thousand dollars, especially on a game weekend. A hot dog/hamburger buffet with all the sides you are talking about usually costs around $14 per person. Then you need to throw in Gratuity(and I forget if Nebraska has tax or not). So per person: 14 + 2.38(17% gratuity is industry standard) + 5 per person to pay for the room charge and set up fees=$21.38. Not sure if this helps settle anything, I think it shows the Alumni Association is not busting the bank with anything they are doing, and they should keep up the good work.
          P.S. For the people complaining about beer prices. Whenever I travel to anywhere out of South Dakota I expect to pay $5 a beer, especially in the larger cities. We call that reality.
          With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
            As a representative of the hospitality industry the price for that room alone was probably a couple thousand dollars, especially on a game weekend. A hot dog/hamburger buffet with all the sides you are talking about usually costs around $14 per person. Then you need to throw in Gratuity(and I forget if Nebraska has tax or not). So per person: 14 + 2.38(17% gratuity is industry standard) + 5 per person to pay for the room charge and set up fees=$21.38. Not sure if this helps settle anything, I think it shows the Alumni Association is not busting the bank with anything they are doing, and they should keep up the good work.
            P.S. For the people complaining about beer prices. Whenever I travel to anywhere out of South Dakota I expect to pay $5 a beer, especially in the larger cities. We call that reality.
            Thanks for the analysis. I wonder if 5 dollar per person might be low, but more like 10, and as you acknowledged the price for the room was probably a couple thousand dollars or more. These hotels in Lincoln live for football season as that is when they make the big bucks to cover all their overhead during the year when things are slow. Its really surprising how everything is so sandwiched in and close to the staduim. Rep pts given.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post

This is so true. Unless they plan the gathering at some local dive bar they're not going to get really cheap beers for everyone. A higher quality place you should be expected to pay $5 per beer.
              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                Thanks for the analysis. I wonder if 5 dollar per person might be low, but more like 10, and as you acknowledged the price for the room was probably a couple thousand dollars or more. These hotels in Lincoln live for football season as that is when they make the big bucks to cover all their overhead during the year when things are slow. Its really surprising how everything is so sandwiched in and close to the staduim. Rep pts given.
                You could plan ahead and have DOME DOGS at your next outing. Probably about $3. I'm with TK on this.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                  You could plan ahead and have DOME DOGS at your next outing. Probably about $3. I'm with TK on this.
                  When was the last time you attended an SDSU alumni event? Not sure you have much to add on this topic. The AA did a nice job in Lincoln and I paid $20 because I pre-registered, well worth it

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                    This is so true. Unless they plan the gathering at some local dive bar they're not going to get really cheap beers for everyone. A higher quality place you should be expected to pay $5 per beer.
                    At the risk of beating a dead horse. The Embassy Suites is the place to be on game day in Lincoln and it was only a black and a half from the stadium. That was a tremendous get for the Alumni Association to be able to have it there.

Just as TK said, I'm not going to let the post of one guy wreck it for me. Carry on.

Looking forward to going to Illinois!

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                      There has to be a tongue in the cheek somewhere, but we can not see it. Please show us the better side of your face.

Comment

Nidaros:Thank you for your sacrifice and contribution to the University. Well done sir.

Yoteforever:I prefer my dome dogs served by someone with a "TC" on their hat.

Jackrabit1:Well thought out post.

Comment

Nidaros:Thank you for your sacrifice and contribution to the University. Well done sir.

Yoteforever:I prefer my dome dogs served by someone with a "TC" on their hat.

Jackrabit1:Well thought out post.
                          Your welcome TK, I hope I was not too chippy, but its like being critical of school boards and what have you. Until you sat in their seats and done their job, you really have a hard time grasping what is going on. I am sure there were others who felt the UNL gathering was pricey and wondering what on earth was on going on. Game days in Lincoln are all about $$$$ and wall to wall people. This why I avoided Lincoln for nearly twenty years, while I lived in Columbus, about 90 miles away. I always pointed my car north and went home to Brookings and have no regrets. I watched a full season of home games at SDSU for the price of one big red ticket.

We got a long ways to go before we even begin to repelicate UNL game days, but with everyone showing up, we will soon be having those good problems like they have in Lincoln.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            There has to be a tongue in the cheek somewhere, but we can not see it. Please show us the better side of your face.
                            The bulge out of the right side of my mouth is my tongue. It was meant to be funny ( the Dome Dog part ) and lighten the discussion. And for the record, I have been a guest at a SDSU alumni function as a "guest".

My point is that all Alumni Associations serve food that most people don't really want, or it is common food and they charge a ton of cash for (to recover or partially recover room rent). If they would focus on having a location suitable for the moment ( I know Embassy is nice, but really before a football game? ) Talk about a BUZZ KILL.

When we play the Badgers next fall, us distinquished alum will be on State Street having $2 draws, Brats, and a boatload of cheese prior to our game. If we have a function at the Embassy or something like it, it won't draw many other than the president (till he relaizes we are partying on State, then he'll join us).

I come on here to lighten the load on topics that might be a little "silly". If you don't see the humor, either I did a poor job of delivery or you have no sense of humor. And Nardos, because you are Norwegian, I know you have a sense of humor. I can tell by your posts.

Lighten up and have a DOME DOG. (sarcasm)

Comment

Hey bunnies, Redbird fan here checking out some of our conference boards because I'm already bored with baseball season.

I noticed some of you mentioning you would like some clarity on princess Illiniwek and Chambana. First off, I hope as many of you as possible can make the trip. I know it's a far drive/flight for many of you, but seeing your team play in a BCS environment is always pretty awesome. I live in Chicago but my bros-in-law live in Urbana and are Illini season ticket holders so I might try to come down to cheer on a fellow conference member. I'll shed some light on a few things about C-U and the Illini football policies.

1) Memorial Stadium - awesome stadium. Even though the Illini have had some craptacular teams over the years, Memorial Stadium is a relic and some pretty elite names have called the place home. Capacity is being reduced to 60K, supposedly to remove some temporary bleachers that were deemed unsafe, I think they just can't sell the place out. It sat 77K in its peak in the 1980s.

The recent renovations were done quite well and they didn't compromise any of the history. Tons of varied concessions and large spacious bathrooms in the west and east halls, the horseshoe (south endzone), not so much. Sideline seats (upper or lower deck) go for $42 or so and horseshoe go for $24. If you can, I would recommend paying the extra $20 or so for a sideline seat. The horseshoe is kind of far from the action, you have to turn around to see any video replays, and the concessions/restrooms have reeeaalllly long lines and low variety. Also, since SDSU isn't really a marquee game for the Illini, I'm sure plenty of cheap seats can be found on stubhub.

One more thing on Memorial, there is usually a visitors section on the east side near the south endzone. I'm sure your high donors will get seating choice privileges here. I would try to pack this section as much as you possibly can with donors, band, etc. Each of the lower east side sections seat about 2,000 people and you should get an entire one of these sections all to yourself so I would recommend everyone making the trip to try and buy tickets here.

I'll come back later with information on tailgating, nightlife, hotels, restaurants etc. Thanks for letting me hang with you guys and I hope some of you can make it to Normal later on this Fall as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Redbird Ray View Post
                                Hey bunnies, Redbird fan here checking out some of our conference boards because I'm already bored with baseball season.

I noticed some of you mentioning you would like some clarity on princess Illiniwek and Chambana. First off, I hope as many of you as possible can make the trip. I know it's a far drive/flight for many of you, but seeing your team play in a BCS environment is always pretty awesome. I live in Chicago but my bros-in-law live in Urbana and are Illini season ticket holders so I might try to come down to cheer on a fellow conference member. I'll shed some light on a few things about C-U and the Illini football policies.

1) Memorial Stadium - awesome stadium. Even though the Illini have had some craptacular teams over the years, Memorial Stadium is a relic and some pretty elite names have called the place home. Capacity is being reduced to 60K, supposedly to remove some temporary bleachers that were deemed unsafe, I think they just can't sell the place out. It sat 77K in its peak in the 1980s.

The recent renovations were done quite well and they didn't compromise any of the history. Tons of varied concessions and large spacious bathrooms in the west and east halls, the horseshoe (south endzone), not so much. Sideline seats (upper or lower deck) go for $42 or so and horseshoe go for $24. If you can, I would recommend paying the extra $20 or so for a sideline seat. The horseshoe is kind of far from the action, you have to turn around to see any video replays, and the concessions/restrooms have reeeaalllly long lines and low variety. Also, since SDSU isn't really a marquee game for the Illini, I'm sure plenty of cheap seats can be found on stubhub.

One more thing on Memorial, there is usually a visitors section on the east side near the south endzone. I'm sure your high donors will get seating choice privileges here. I would try to pack this section as much as you possibly can with donors, band, etc. Each of the lower east side sections seat about 2,000 people and you should get an entire one of these sections all to yourself so I would recommend everyone making the trip to try and buy tickets here.

I'll come back later with information on tailgating, nightlife, hotels, restaurants etc. Thanks for letting me hang with you guys and I hope some of you can make it to Normal later on this Fall as well!

Wait a minute.. SDSU is not a marquee game? What the he....

Comment

Working...
                                X