Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU vs. Illinois

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
    I make one suggestion and get crucified for it, which is exactly why I spend so little time on this Board.

At no time did I say 89 or any other of our representatives did a poor job with the gathering, nor did I say I didn't have a bad time.

Some of u need to get a life, or at least pick the Kleenex up off your keyboard.

Yes, someone pissed in my cheerios, ie gave both my kids Influenza B.
    We won't miss you.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
      What WOULD have been a fair price?
      I remember Filbert saying a few days back that his life was now good seeing a Coyote fight a Bison on the Bunny board.

But a BUNNY on a BUNNY? Life is awesome.

And to think they are fighting over a nominal fee meal that was designed to unite all Jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
        I remember Filbert saying a few days back that his life was now good seeing a Coyote fight a Bison on the Bunny board.

And to think they are fighting over a nominal fee meal that was designed to unite all Jacks.
        Welcome back to relevancy even if it's not your own.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I make one suggestion and get crucified for it, which is exactly why I spend so little time on this Board.

At no time did I say 89 or any other of our representatives did a poor job with the gathering, nor did I say I didn't have a bad time.

Some of u need to get a life, or at least pick the Kleenex up off your keyboard.

Maybe I was expecting more too, it was my first event for an alumni gathering. I am not saying it was bad time or poorly done, just was not really impressed with the food. Maybe they were out of most when we got there but it seemed to be slim picking for what the price was to attend. I will still hope to attend more events in the future but will have keep expectations in check or get there early when it starts.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            Maybe I was expecting more too, it was my first event for an alumni gathering. I am not saying it was bad time or poorly done, just was not really impressed with the food. Maybe they were out of most when we got there but it seemed to be slim picking for what the price was to attend. I will still hope to attend more events in the future but will have keep expectations in check or get there early when it starts.
            Goon,

All Alumni gatherings have overpriced food and serve food that the average South Dakotan wouldn't eat 1 night a year. I think they do it trying to impress "money" people. If they would just have a decent sandwich and a couple of salads, it would go further.

As far as the cost of the room, those hotels charge and arm and a leg, so therefore it gets passed on in the meal price. If alumni gatherings could just rent a tailgate tent and serve finger food and beverages, it would go further.

Just trying to be relevant Doc.

Comment

Goon,

All Alumni gatherings have overpriced food and serve food that the average South Dakotan wouldn't eat 1 night a year. I think they do it trying to impress "money" people. If they would just have a decent sandwich and a couple of salads, it would go further.

As far as the cost of the room, those hotels charge and arm and a leg, so therefore it gets passed on in the meal price. If alumni gatherings could just rent a tailgate tent and serve finger food and beverages, it would go further.

Just trying to be relevant Doc.
              Stick around and you might be! See you in S.F. This weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                Stick around and you might be! See you in S.F. This weekend?

Yes sir. I forgot to mention............Good luck Jacks

Comment

Let's recap:

You say you made a "suggestion" -- I'd probably select a word with a negative connotation...in any event, a few people responded to your invite to comment and so you criticize some as not having a life (I didn't get the Kleenex reference). Then you close with an admission you're having a bad day. Hmmm....my suggestion is you need to go to MORE alumni events and don't worry about eating. Connect up with your SDSU buddies and meet new buddies. I had a blast at the gathering before the UNL game. That's a prime spot for pre-game gatherings. I had some UNL people asked how we got the place.

I mean this in all sincerity: go to the alumni events because of the people. You, TK, and all the alumns are what make the University great.

For those who weren't at the UNL pre-game: there was a lot of great food (I missed out on most of it because I was standing around talking and meeting lots of Jackrabbits) and I hope the U of Illinois gathering is a lot like the UNL one. My experience at the UNL game has convinced me to travel to Illinois.

(I suppose in the interest of full disclosure, it should be known I'm on the Alumni Council.)

Comment

Yes sir. I forgot to mention............Good luck Jacks
                    Chivalry still exists. Touché!

Comment

Originally posted by sdsujacksgrad View Post
                      I'm planning on going to Champagne for the game. Curious to know what advice there is from anyone who has ever been to a game there. I was there for a game when the Chicago Bears played in 2002 while Soldier Field was renovated. Any recommendations on where the best places to stay are, tailgating, best places to eat, drink, where not to go, etc? I also noticed tickets were really cheap if you go to stubhub especially in the horseshoe. I didn't sit there for the Bears game I went to, but I am trying to figure out why those seats sell so cheap.
                      I guess I wanted to get back to the original point of this thread and that was what people know about Champagne. Is it better/fun to get a hotel downtown or does it make more sense to get something on the outskirts? I'm not all that interested in going to another alumni gathering. We went to the one in Minneapolis and we were completely disappointed. We promised would never spend that kind of money to do that again especially for the hotel's $5 beers when we saw just as many if not more SDSU people downtown before and after the UNL game. We found some pretty sweet places where the food and drinks were reasonably priced.

Comment

We went to the SDSU vs. Illinois men's basketball game in Champagne several years ago (Where at the alumni gathering we met President Chicoine, before he was president. He and his wife gave us their tickets to the basketball game -- they had to entertain donors -- and they hooked us up with free tix to the next day's football game just a few rows down from the U of Illinois president's seats.).

As I mentioned, since the bb game was on Friday night and the Illini were playing Northwestern in football the next day, we decided to stay over and go to the game. We stayed at Hawthorne Suites, on the west side of campus. It's just a few blocks from the football stadium and a Hooter's, which was nice. The Illini weren't very good. I'm not sure the crowd hit 20,000. Needless to say, tailgating was fairly weak, but definitely had potential, as there's quite a bit of green space around the stadium. We took a cab from the hotel to what was supposed to be the college bar area. We think we were misdirected, but we did find some good bar food. We had a lot more fun on our trips to Missoula.

We picked the Hawthorne Suites because I had loyalty points so it was free, and it was super convenient for both games. The Jacks bb team stayed there, too. We have a room reserved at the Hawthorne Suites again for this trip in case we decide to go. But I don't have enough points, and it ain't cheap ($250+/night). And we have to decide 30 days prior in order to cancel. I'd rather stay there and be in the middle of activity than stay out by the Interstate.

One thing that I'll never forget from the trip was that while we were enjoying our bar food, every so often a horrible odor would waft over our table. We couldn't figure out the stink. Finally, we learned that in that part of the country, they like to eat their fries with malt vinegar. Think vomit stink.
                        @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                        --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by sdsujacksgrad View Post
                          I guess I wanted to get back to the original point of this thread and that was what people know about Champagne. Is it better/fun to get a hotel downtown or does it make more sense to get something on the outskirts? I'm not all that interested in going to another alumni gathering. We went to the one in Minneapolis and we were completely disappointed. We promised would never spend that kind of money to do that again especially for the hotel's $5 beers when we saw just as many if not more SDSU people downtown before and after the UNL game. We found some pretty sweet places where the food and drinks were reasonably priced.

I live in Minneapolis and $5 for a beer isn't outrageous, especially downtown. The Alumni gatherings are going to be a little more expensive, but I think that comes with the territory.
                          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                            I live in Minneapolis and $5 for a beer isn't outrageous, especially downtown. The Alumni gatherings are going to be a little more expensive, but I think that comes with the territory.
                            I've thought about it, to each their own. Alumni events are fun and usually informal.

As for Illinois, my uncle works for the U of I foundation and my aunt sells real estate in Champagne. There son is a member of the Illini band. So, I can get the skinny regarding game day. She recommends the Hawthorne suites for the best near stadium experience.

Comment

Especially if you are one of the bunnies!

Makes for more future Jacks that way!!

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                                We won't miss you.
                                I'm fairly confident that there are other coin counters at SDSU that would strongly disagree with you, but I won't let a few jerks on this board hinder my support for the University.

Thank you Goon and Yoteforever for effectively stating what I could not.

The beauty and yet the ugliness of message boards: Calling out folks you have never met behind a cute screen name.

Comment

Working...
                                X