Indiana State Sycamores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Indiana State Sycamores

Coaching and defense lost this game. Reminds me of the Southern Illinois game in Brookings last year and the Cal-Poly game in Brookings the year before. Middle of the season games that we should have performed better in when a lot was at stake. Our defense basically got whooped in all 3 games. This is a recurring theme and I think it indicates a potential problem. Start the season slowly, seemingly not prepared. Improve vastly after the slow start only to again seem unprepared in a crucial game.

Cal-Poly and SIU both had good teams lead by exceptional athletes on offense. It seems the same can be said for ISU this year. The loss on Saturday is one of the worst we've had since moving to DI. Very disappointing.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
      I got a chance to watch the game and I have to pin the loss of this game squarely on the coaches. Our defense looked woefully unprepared for what Indiana State was going to do, missing reads, missing keys, etc. The boys looked FLAT yesterday. Once again, poor, poor tackling. It looks as if it takes us the entire 1st half to figure out what they are doing so we can make an adjustment. Indiana State on the other hand knew what we were going to do the entire time. They knew when we were going to blitz, and called it perfectly time and again. This screams poor preparation to me.

On offense, we out coached ourselves. They could not stop the Flash, not at all. We get buried deep in our half of the field in the 2nd half, after we actually stopped them. They call a dive to Duffy (2 yards), pass (broken up) pass (almost picked). We punt, they get the ball and subsequently score. I know the Flash is not our base offense, but if they cannot stop it, why go away from it, especially when you need some room deep in your own half. Run it a few times, get a first then you can go back to mixing your offense. Their announcers were just amazed that we weren't running the flash. Heck they were almost giddy we weren't running it.

This is the 3rd time this year they have looked this way: Delaware, Illinois St and now Indiana State. All games we got scored on early and our offense had to dig out of a hole immediately.

It is the coaches jobs to get the boys ready in all areas, from the outside looking in, they failed the players this week. Indiana State is vastly improved but we all know this isn't a game we should lose, we are better than they are.
      I agree with this post. I didn't get to watch the game but I listened to it on to radio. They couldn't stop the flash. I almost wouldn't have played a QB until they stopped it.
      I don't blame the loss all on TOB but he deserves some of the blame. We were in scoring range AGAIN at the end of the half and he throws a Int. I was hoping after the last few games, he came out of his turnover bug. I've been saying all year if he doesn't turn it over 2 times or more, we win. On the radio, they said that there were 4 possible int's that were dropped by the other team.
      Our defense couldn't stop anything. You put 30 points on the board and you should win.
      I guess the Illinois State game is the one I'm still trying to get over. Win that one and we are still alive for the playoffs. We can still win the last 3 and look forward to next year. We do lose some good players but we have plenty of young players and it will (maybe) be the 3rd year of our starting QB. The way our OL has been playing, he should feel comfortable back there.

Comment

When we avg more yards rushing then passing, I figure we would be better off rushing 40+ times agame and throw only 20 or so. When its reverse we are not nearly the same team. The D just had no life from the sounds of it. I figure the salvage the season, we better win out to having a winning record.

Seems its a theme with SDSU football, when expectations are low, we excede them, when they are high, we totally flub it up. I love Stig, but I put that on coaching. Not having players prepared to step into the situation that the others built up. Seems our Jr class is very weak, with not many to really look for to stand out as Srs next year. I like our younger classes with some looking to make big impacts, but the older guys need to step up play like they are capable of playing.

I would love to see new schemes on O and D, because I think other teams are changing what they are doing to improve, but we are stuck doing the same thing, thinking our results will change. I bet we have more big run plays this year then pass plays, so I still don't know why we go away from the best player on the team to throw short passes to a thin WR group. I feel a few different running set formations would allow the potential for Minnet or Duffy to bust longer runs if give the chance.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

As much as we depend on the run,it is scary to look at the roster to try and figure out who will carry the ball next year after Minett and Duffy are gone. I know the plans are to move Kool to RB,but even with that we will have no actual RB experience returning.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            As much as we depend on the run,it is scary to look at the roster to try and figure out who will carry the ball next year after Minett and Duffy are gone. I know the plans are to move Kool to RB,but even with that we will have no actual RB experience returning.
            I've heard good things about Zenner and we have Dom Clare as a senior and Kool moving back to RB. Maybe not alot of experience, but I think we have some talent at the position.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
              I've heard good things about Zenner and we have Dom Clare as a senior and Kool moving back to RB. Maybe not alot of experience, but I think we have some talent at the position.
              I agree, I think Zenner could be a stud, Maybe its just the name, but Zenner for another Jackrabbit TD, has a ring to it. I think the talent will be there for the RBs, more then there is for the WRs for next year.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                I agree, I think Zenner could be a stud, Maybe its just the name, but Zenner for another Jackrabbit TD, has a ring to it. I think the talent will be there for the RBs, more then there is for the WRs for next year.
                I know we lose as lot of receiving talent next year but most of them aren't WR's. Kool moving back to RB will be a loss at WR but what other WR's are we losing? Hylland! After Kool, our next best WR's are Rollin(So.), Hubert(Fr.) and Tiefenthaler(Fr.). We are losing Minett and Cochart but Kool will replace Minett at RB so we lose our best WR and TE. I think Kool will be an upgrade as a receiver for a RB.

Comment

I'll agree with just about anything said here. Good enough. Alright Jacks go beat MSU and still make this a winning season!
                  With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

I'm hearing that Rollin is done for the year. More bad news from the Terre Haute game.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                      I know we lose as lot of receiving talent next year but most of them aren't WR's. Kool moving back to RB will be a loss at WR but what other WR's are we losing? Hylland! After Kool, our next best WR's are Rollin(So.), Hubert(Fr.) and Tiefenthaler(Fr.). We are losing Minett and Cochart but Kool will replace Minett at RB so we lose our best WR and TE. I think Kool will be an upgrade as a receiver for a RB.
                      We lose Hylland and Mitchell who have done NOTHING for us. They were praised earlier this year by the O Coordinator etc on how much they were going to help the Jacks this fall. Hylland played a key role in the loss to Illinois St. with his dropped TD and his other drop that resulted in an interception. And now I see he is back on the field. I think we should play for the future these last 3 games and not worry about keeping Hylland happy.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
                        We lose Hylland and Mitchell who have done NOTHING for us. They were praised earlier this year by the O Coordinator etc on how much they were going to help the Jacks this fall. Hylland played a key role in the loss to Illinois St. with his dropped TD and his other drop that resulted in an interception. And now I see he is back on the field. I think we should play for the future these last 3 games and not worry about keeping Hylland happy.
                        I think Hubert will be a fan favorite for years to come. He has that look of being a special player to me. Like a Koening type, gets better and better and just a winner all around.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
                          YEAH!!!

Why have a senior on the field when we have freshman and sophomores who can drop passes just as well!
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                            YEAH!!!

Why have a senior on the field when we have freshman and sophomores who can drop passes just as well!
                            Its called preparing for the future.. #'s don't lie... Senior WR's just have not produced.. Lets move on

Comment

Theee Catrabbit;

Sorry about your loss to the Sycamores but they appear to be no longer the punching bag for the league but a team on the rise. Jump on MSU and win out. You can still have a winning season. Good Luck

Comment

I'm going to try to be done being aggravated with the underwhelming performance of this team at times this year. Everyone on the team from the coaches on down are to blame for losses this year.

The thing that is going to disappoint and sadden me most these last three games is seeing one of my favorite players in Jacks history end a historic career.

A kid who has come out from day one and impressed me nearly every time he sees the ball. He had eye-popping numbers as a high school player, but coming from a small school wasn't recruited by the "big boys". He's a blue-collar, hard-nosed, leave it all on the field player. He doesn't whine and he doesn't hold his head down when going is tough. He doesn't gloat and act like a jerk when he's eating up the competition. He's put up numbers against top-notch competition for years now and is writing his name in the books as one of the great Jacks ever. I know many seniors should be commended, but I thank you Kyle Minett for being a Jackrabbit. I look forward to seeing the great effort of this great player these last three games.

Comment

Working...
                                X