Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 Schedule

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
    As a fan who no longer has kids at home in school, I need to start watching the football schedule for the away game in a place that I would like to visit, and take a fall vacation to see the Jackrabbits on the road. My ideal scenario would have us scheduling home and home contracts with warm climate teams like those in the Southland, with the game in Brookings in early September and the return game in the south in late November. As an example, it would be really nice to spend three or four days in Austin and drive to San Marcos to play Texas State on Saturday.

Well considering Texas State is in the WAC next year, that one ain't going to happen
    BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by The Sports Block View Post
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXvcuP3_M6Y

Video that Aaron Rollin did. Hopefully more are to come.
      Nice! That was really interesting. Thanks for sharing.
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
        My wife and I and two other couples are planning on this trip this fall. Does SDSU have a trip planned? I checked air fare and it seems high. Plan on leaving from Omaha unless athletic dept has a trip scheduled and we can make that.
        I expect there will be a charter with limited seats. I also recommend this trip and plan to make it again.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sports Block View Post
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXvcuP3_M6Y

Video that Aaron Rollin did. Hopefully more are to come.
          Very insightful and encouraging. Rollin and other players obviously are working hard this off season.
          This space for lease.

Comment

Just booked the Cal-Poly trip through expedia. I got 4 nights in a nice hotel on the beach, a rental car and airline tickets for under $1000 each. I'll take that. The team stayed at "The Cliffs Resort" last time. We got a room just down the way.

If you can make this trip, do it.

Planning to book the Cancun trip over Thanksgiving later this month. Triple Crowns deadline for booking a room at current rates is May 31st.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Thought I would bump this thread up to the top.

Here is 2011's schedule:

Sept. 3 Southern Utah

Sept. 10 @ Illinois

Sept. 17 @ Cal Poly

Sept. 24 @ Illinois State

Oct. 1 Indiana State

Oct. 8 @ YSU

Oct. 15 UNI

Oct. 22 NDSU

Oct. 29 @ Missouri State

Nov. 5 Southern Illinois

Nov. 12 @ Western Illinois
              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Maybe one of these years we can have 6 home games instead of 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

"Maybe one of these years we can have 6 home games instead of 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Normally you are allowed 11 games a year. 9 conference games (5 home, 4 away or 4 home, 5 away, Once USD joins the conference) + FBS game (always away)= 5 home, 5 away or 4 home 6 away. That leaves one game for an FCS non conference opponent. In most cases to get a quality FCS non con opponent we will need to go home and away= 6 home, 5 away, or 4 home, 7 away. I would think you would want to stagger the FCS non conference games to allow for the home game in the years when when we play 5 away conference games (rather then having the 4 home 7 away). The bottomline, unless we can consistently get the one non conference game at home, 5 home games is the probably the best case scenario. Remember that the NCAA does allow 12 games when the calendar allows for an additional Saturday (Every 7 years?)

Comment

The MVFC will continue to be 8 conference games, 4 home, 4 away. The objective is to keep the far eastern schools from having to travel to the Dakotas more than once a season. So NDSU, USD & SDSU will "miss" a return trip from ISU(B), YSU, SIU, ISU(R) if they would have had two trips to Dakota that year. So there will be a possibility that the MVFC co-champs may not have played each other. So there should be 3 OOC games most years, with 4 OOC games when playing 12. Since one game will be a $$ game vs FBS, that's away. So, if SDSU sets up, most times will be 1 home, 1 away, with a return date the opposite direction in most cases.

2011 worked out to be a weird scheduling year as a couple of planned series got cancelled or pushed back. IIRC, I though SE LA was to host SDSU, starting this year. And Delaware was to visit SDSU off a 2 at Del, l at SDSU, which was mutually cancelled beyond the 2010 game at UDel. SE LA is in a hurtin' state financially, so the Lions have lined up 2 FBS games (Tulane and So. MS) to bolster their coffers, and the SDSU game at Hammond, LA is postponed. (I believe SELA is still on to come to Brookings 2012).

Hence the scramble to get the two games above covered. Needed a home game (SUU bought in, 1NDone), and Cal Poly is start of a new home/home, starting at Cal Poly. The rearranged Big Sky and no more GWFC created some opportunities this season that won't exist starting in 2012. Good to see Cal Poly on the schedule. Appreciate that they joined SDSU for the transition period. SUU was the 2010 GWFC champ, so they aren't the slouches SDSU beat most years in the GWFC.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                      The MVFC will continue to be 8 conference games, 4 home, 4 away. The objective is to keep the far eastern schools from having to travel to the Dakotas more than once a season. So NDSU, USD & SDSU will "miss" a return trip from ISU(B), YSU, SIU, ISU(R) if they would have had two trips to Dakota that year. So there will be a possibility that the MVFC co-champs may not have played each other. So there should be 3 OOC games most years, with 4 OOC games when playing 12. Since one game will be a $$ game vs FBS, that's away. So, if SDSU sets up, most times will be 1 home, 1 away, with a return date the opposite direction in most cases.

2011 worked out to be a weird scheduling year as a couple of planned series got cancelled or pushed back. IIRC, I though SE LA was to host SDSU, starting this year. And Delaware was to visit SDSU off a 2 at Del, l at SDSU, which was mutually cancelled beyond the 2010 game at UDel. SE LA is in a hurtin' state financially, so the Lions have lined up 2 FBS games (Tulane and So. MS) to bolster their coffers, and the SDSU game at Hammond, LA is postponed. (I believe SELA is still on to come to Brookings 2012).

Hence the scramble to get the two games above covered. Needed a home game (SUU bought in, 1NDone), and Cal Poly is start of a new home/home, starting at Cal Poly. The rearranged Big Sky and no more GWFC created some opportunities this season that won't exist starting in 2012. Good to see Cal Poly on the schedule. Appreciate that they joined SDSU for the transition period. SUU was the 2010 GWFC champ, so they aren't the slouches SDSU beat most years in the GWFC.
                      Ahh, thanks on the clarification on the MVC schedule of 8 games. So every 8th year we will not play USD?

Comment

No, the 3 Dakota schools will always play. Likewise, the eastern 3 (YSU, ISU(b), SIU will play each other. How the other 4 fit, I'm not quite sure. Basically, NDSU, SDSU, USD will make 1 trip to the 3 east schools, not 2 per season. Those 3 will only have one game in the Dakota, not 2. MO St, UNI, WIU and ISU(r) will fill the other slot. The longest series in the conference is SDSU vs USD, followed closely by SDSU vs NDSU. The conference wants those games played EVERY Year.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                          The conference wants those games played EVERY Year.
                          I think this reasoning played a big part in USD being admitted to the MVFC, plus the revenue from this game guarentees the comish and his staff a pay check every Friday. With current economic woes of balancing budgets, this scheduling makes a great deal of sense. I suppose, though unlikely, two emerging programs might escape playing each other since they are either in the Dakotas or in eastern Indiana. ISU Blue comes to mind.

Comment

Working...
                          X