Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 Schedule

Originally posted by jackrab View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say we break some attendance records this year. This is a great home schedule and couldn't be more excited about it.
    Completely agree.

SUU - Always a big crowd for the first home game
    Indiana State - First game after 3 road games, plus nice weather still
    UNI - UNI
    NDSU - NDSU
    SIU - Hobo Day

If the team doesn't start off terribly, the attendance record will be smashed.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
      Completely agree.

SUU - Always a big crowd for the first home game
      Indiana State - First game after 3 road games, plus nice weather still
      UNI - UNI
      NDSU - NDSU
      SIU - Hobo Day

If the team doesn't start off terribly, the attendance record will be smashed.

THIS /\/\/\

We have to beat SUU to get things started off right to have any chance of breaking that attendence record. Losing to a team you're paying $185K to come play would be very Gopher-ish of us.

Go Jacks!!
      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Just wanted to throw this out there for discussion:

Is SDSU better off scheduling at "body bag game" a d-2 or lower for $40K, instead of $185K for a possible top 25 team??

I've always been completely opposed to it, but I'm starting to wonder.

Thoughts??

Go Jacks!!

Comment

I think you've got to play one FBS team every year. It gets media attention, exposure in new areas, is attractive to recruits, and helps pay the bills. Losing the game does not hurt you and if you pull off the upset it can be huge for your program.

Playing a D2/loser team does none of the above. It "should" give you a meaningless win, but there's always the risk that you could be badly embarassed.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
            Just wanted to throw this out there for discussion:

Is SDSU better off scheduling at "body bag game" a d-2 or lower for $40K, instead of $185K for a possible top 25 team??

I've always been completely opposed to it, but I'm starting to wonder.

Thoughts??

Go Jacks!!
            A loss to a top 25 team has the same exact effect on our playoff chances that a win over a D2 team has. None.

Actually, it's possible that a top 25 loss could be better than a D2 win because playing a top 25 team may actually help our GPI, which is used in determining playoff teams.

Comment

Granted we ran out of time to get a schedule finished up, but NEC and Pioneer, to lesser extent Southland and Ohio Valley schools should be checked into for future schedules.

However, the is another schedule were Jacks could possibly be 7-4, and make play-offs.

Comment

Thoughts:

- Southern Utah isn't quite the patsy they once were but we should still beat them at home. I know they lost their best player in WR Tyson Poots.

- I can see SDSU getting 7 wins on that schedule but it's not going to easy.
                My quick prediction would be S. UTAH, at Cal Poly, INDIANA ST, at Youngstown, at Missouri St, S ILLINOIS, at W Illinois. (losses at Illinois, at IL ST, UNI, NDSU)

- I don't remember a Hall of Fame game before but that is a killer idea. Have the past SDSU greats come back for one game a year where they are honored. That should help keep a link to our history and also make the players feel appreciated for more than a phone call asking for a donation.

- Southern Utah isn't quite the patsy they once were but we should still beat them at home. I know they lost their best player in WR Tyson Poots, he was the Great West offensive POY. IMO this is the most important game of the season, if we lose this I feel we'll be in for a tough ride.

Comment

Great schedule. SUU is very tough, and although they lost their best offensive player, the QB was very good and the loss of Poots shouldn't be as difficult to overcome. Wish UND could get rid of some of the crap on their schedule this year.........

Also, as it relates to what type of schedule would be best, I think it would be great to have one FBS game, one home/home type game with a good, quality FCS and one NEC/Pioneer/etc. type home game. While I applaud SDSU for getting a very good looking schedule, reaching the magical 7 win plateau may be difficult, although they have the big 3 of NDSU, SIU and UNI at home.
                  Fighting Sioux

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                    A loss to a top 25 team has the same exact effect on our playoff chances that a win over a D2 team has. None.

Actually, it's possible that a top 25 loss could be better than a D2 win because playing a top 25 team may actually help our GPI, which is used in determining playoff teams.

But $185K??

Like I said, just for discussion purposes.

Go Jacks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                      I think you've got to play one FBS team every year. It gets media attention, exposure in new areas, is attractive to recruits, and helps pay the bills. Losing the game does not hurt you and if you pull off the upset it can be huge for your program.

Playing a D2/loser team does none of the above. It "should" give you a meaningless win, but there's always the risk that you could be badly embarassed.

I didn't say, not play the FBS game...heck next year we have to play Illinois just to pay SUU to come to CAS.
                      Do we make $185K on a home game in net revenues??

Go Jacks!!

Comment

I didn't say, not play the FBS game...heck next year we have to play Illinois just to pay SUU to come to CAS.
                        Do we make $185K on a home game in net revenues??

Go Jacks!!
                        Not sure what the average ticket price is, but a guess assuming $17.50 ($15 GA and $20 Reserved) with an opening game crowd of 14,000 we'd be looking at a gate receipts alone of $245K. Also figure in all the parking, tailgating, concessions, game program revenues on top of that, so maybe another $5 per person or $70K?

Comment

But $185K??

Like I said, just for discussion purposes.

Go Jacks!!
                          Excellent question. DII or lower games aren't an option if making the playoffs is the ultimate goal and I like to think that is the goal.

I'd spend less energy and time worrying about how good or bad our first opponent is and more time hoping/worrying that we won't be ready regardless, that seems to be more of an issue in the Stig era than anything else. Need I refer to the game not to be referred to?

So, decent schedule. 2 for 1 with Cal-Poly, paying better team more than we wanted for a 5th home game, and one heck of a tough stretch to start the season but decent none-the-less.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

A couple of questions:
                            Anyone know what the SDSU season attendance record is?
                            Anyone know what NDSU has to pay to bring low-level D-1 teams to Fargo for guaranteed wins?
                            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                              A couple of questions:
                              Anyone know what NDSU has to pay to bring low-level D-1 teams to Fargo for guaranteed wins?
                              I believe one of the Bison fans said they paid Morgan St. $145,00 but I could be wrong. We set the attendance record a couple of years ago I think, don't remember the exact number but averaged around 13,000 (I could be wrong).
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                                A couple of questions:
                                SDSU season attendance records
                                -2007 67,309 TOTAL attendance, 6 games.
                                -2009 66,327 for BEST PER GAME Attendance, 5 games.

Odd years, when both UNI and NDSU play in Brookings are typically going to bring biggest average crowds.

Need to keep USD & NDSU on alternating years in Brookings. Which with USD in Brookings in 2012 will occur.

Comment

Working...
                                X